Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Except for my home page my internal website pages are only loading the page text on a plain white background with no html formatting or images (note, if you visit the site, the pages at jobs.mydomain.com are hosted by another company and don’t use Joomla, and consequently, don’t have this problem). I put in a support ticket with my web host tech support and the tech support person told me we thought it might be ” path settings for css, js and images” — basically template related. I use the JA University template.

I’ve attached a screen shot illustrating the plain text on white background issue I’ve described.

Thanks.

1. screen-shot-marketinghire-all-text
    chicat Friend

Update. I tried unpublishing various modules and found that when I unpublished two custom html modules featuring code from glassdoor that the template begin working on all the internal pages on my site again.

Besides not using the modules/html code, does anyone have any guesses is to what it was from the html in the modules (e.g. javascript?) that could be causing the problem?

I’d love to use these modules/features on my site, but, of course, not at the expense of my site working properly.

chicat Friend

UPDATE: The problem of pages loading with only unformated text on a white background described in my first post does still exist with certain pages/sections on the site.For example: http://www.marketinghire.com/contribute.html and http://www.marketinghire.com/marketing-jobs-trends/.

Certain things have been successful at fixing some pages, like unpublishing modules (even if they don’t appear on a page) and changing security settings. But I am unable to fix all the pages. Can someone please help me?

Thanks.

Manos Moderator

Hi,

Looks like it was a cache issue please confirm that everything works now!

Regards

chicat Friend

Thanks for replying. No, unfortunately, the problem still exists. Some examples of problem pages:

http://www.marketinghire.com/contribute.html
    http://www.marketinghire.com/resumes/write-a-resume-that-gets-interviews.html

Search results, like this example:
    http://www.marketinghire.com/search.html?searchphrase=all&searchword=resume

Manos Moderator

You need to disable the sef component you are using and see if that helps. Looks more like an apache issue than anything else.

chicat Friend

Before I do that, will disabling the SEF component (SH404SEF) cause my 301 redirects to stop working?
    Or does SH404SEF just write the 301 redirects to the .htaccess file so they work even if the extension is turned off?

Also, there’s a lot to that extension. Do you know how I would go about turning it off? Would I use the Extensions Manager menu and turn off all the SH404SEF listings I see?

Manos Moderator

No, just turn off the creation (it’s on the components settings) and clear the cache and purge the created links. I would also recommend to disable the Joomla sef and see if everything works.

Then we can try to debug the problem much more easy.

chicat Friend

Thanks. In between my last reply, I found more Custom HTML modules I turned off, which resulted in all the pages with issues working. However, I’ll wait and see if the problem again reoccurs.

I used the Custom HTML modules to insert custom html from a business partner and several sites (PayScale, glassdoor, etc.), but because when I kill these modules the problems go away, it appears that using this module is not a viable way to insert html into a page and may be the cause of my issues — although I would defer to you if you think that’s a legit theory. Do you happen to know if the Custom HTML module should NOT be used for inserting html this way? Are they merely only intended for code formatted some specific way by Joomlart?

Manos Moderator

Hi,
    Custom HTML module is a standard Joomla module and should be working the way you describe, but in some cases when the code you insert is JS or JS related it might also be the cause of problems.

I haven’t checked how you have implemented the modules in question but you might need a closer look on those in order to decide what’s the best way to insert that code into your website.

Regards

chicat Friend

While I thought everything was fine, the pages on my site that once had problems but were fine and untouched since several hours ago when I started this thread, they once again have the identical problem as before as does every single page on my site except the home page.

I originally thought this problem was due to the code in the html modules, which I trashed. I put the same code in several modules last night using a Joomla HTML module extension and they and every page worked fine for at least 5 hours after adding the modules. Suddenly after several hours of being fine (all while I was working on the site on other pages), untouched pages that do not have the html modules in question are suddenly once more unformatted text on a blank/white background, yet the home page is perfectly fine.

I’m ready to turn off SH404SEF. Do I do this by simply turning off the “Enable URL optimization” setting and then do the same to the Joomla SEF URLs?

chicat Friend

Okay, everything is now back to normal again after I again went through the template directory and ran the settings to modify the security settings to 755, recusing into all directories and then clearing the cache in Joomla. Now, I already did this three times in the past and those settings should still be in effect, right? But since I did this once before and it worked to get everything working, I thought I’d try it again. I don’t get why this would solve my problems and get the site working again? Any guesses?

My webhost (Rochen) claims the problem is not related to their server that it is likely related to the template or scripts. I turned off the security on SH404SEF two days ago when this problem first occurred, because a web search I did revealed that a number of people had problems related to that.

chicat Friend

Solved by Anything Digital, the tech support behind the SH404SEF. The problem was “caused by Joomlart template, configuration which was set to compress CSS and JS files, and when doing that the compressed css/js files gets created with relative paths, and when using a SEF component on the website they need to have absolute paths.”

This is the second time I have been told that Joomlart’s templates using relative paths have caused a serious problem on my site. As I have had feedback from a number of developers insisting that Joomlart’s template using relative paths is a problem, I would like to hear someone from Joomlart address this criticism so I can better understand why Joomlart chooses to design its templates using relative paths. At this point, I’ve heard from multiple developers that the practice of using relative paths is not a good one and has been cited as the source of the problems on my site.

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

<em>@chicat 353630 wrote:</em><blockquote>Solved by Anything Digital, the tech support behind the SH404SEF. The problem was “caused by Joomlart template, configuration which was set to compress CSS and JS files, and when doing that the compressed css/js files gets created with relative paths, and when using a SEF component on the website they need to have absolute paths.”

This is the second time I have been told that Joomlart’s templates using relative paths have caused a serious problem on my site. As I have had feedback from a number of developers insisting that Joomlart’s template using relative paths is a problem, I would like to hear someone from Joomlart address this criticism so I can better understand why Joomlart chooses to design its templates using relative paths. At this point, I’ve heard from multiple developers that the practice of using relative paths is not a good one and has been cited as the source of the problems on my site.</blockquote>

I have asked the devs to check this case and get back to you with the reason. Give them some time.

Regards

Khanh Le Moderator

The issue is solved and committed. Following is the solution for whom want to have a quick fix:

Open file plugins/system/jat3/core/head.php, on line 758 & 804 you can see this code

$url = "jat3action=gzip&jat3type=$ext&jat3file=" . urlencode($cache_path . '/' . $filename) . $fileversion;

Change it to

$url = "jat3action=gzip&jat3type=$ext&jat3file=" . urlencode($cache_path . '/' . $filename);

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  aciencias 11 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum