Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Is it possible to install the template only (not the quickstart) on a Joomla 3.3.6 install? If yes, how? I updated it from the backend extension manager and it went fine but it only loaded the default template, not other templates like magazine, event etc.

Thanks for any help.

TomC Moderator

When you say an existing install – do you mean you already have a live/working J3.3.6 site?

ssinha Friend

Yes. Just basic Joomla 3.3.6 install.

TomC Moderator

Well, I guess I would have to ask – if you only have a basic J3.3.6 install – then why not wipe the slate clean and install the Teline V quickstart …. which, as you know, installs the relative Joomla core version for you?

ssinha Friend

Tom, sorry for being dense but are you saying to wipe off the existing Joomla install (forgot to tell you it’s on live server, though just for testing purpose) and then ftp from localhost?

TomC Moderator

What I’m saying is – assuming you were only testing the current install and it’s not an established live site or anything – wipe the slate clean (including databases) and start fresh with the Teline V quickstart installation … which will install the Joomla CMS for you.

I would also HIGHLY recommend installing the sample data as part of the quickstart installation process – as this will start you off with a virtual clone of the demo version from which you can modify things (rather than the headache of trying to “reinvent the wheel” by trying to configure everything from scratch.

ssinha Friend

Tom, again I apologize for being such a doofus but what I am not able to understand is on the live server, the only way I see I can install Joomla is through the host’s Control Panel. When I do that, it leads to basic Joomla (3.3.6) install. I don’t know of any way to install the quickstart through their Control Panel.

The only other way I know is to transfer files from the localhost to the live server through FTP and hope everything transfers fine.

What am I missing here?

TomC Moderator

Uninstall Joomla via your Control Panel . . . . and make sure the database that was set up for the install is deleted as well.

THEN, you can follow THESE INSTRUCTIONS on how to install the template via quickstart.

ssinha Friend

Thanks Tom. I will give it a try. The instructions are basically what I had been doing (ftp from local computer).

What I had earlier done was to wipe off everything in the live server’s public_html folder (actually, to be honest, I just renamed them with _old) and FTP’d all the files from the localhost into this public_html folder. However, that did not install the required templates in Teline V hence my question.

I will try it again from scratch and see what happens. Thanks for your help, Tom.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ssinha 9 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum