Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Hello

i installed joomla 1.5.7 using fantastico on bluehost

everything seems perfect , i was able to install the template without a problem

but now i need everything in the SQL of the quickstart version to be installed

so i need to find the sql file , or sql queries that i run or import using phpmyadmin to show the same data

so these nice and well prepared contents show on my site , so i know the positions and menu items , and just edit the models and other contents

please help

thanks

mj1256 Friend

just import the sql form the sql folder in the installation directory of the quickstart package,

then go inot your config and point the site to the new db

shertmann Friend

well from my experience point i have noticed that is better to use the quicstart from scratch and not only selected parts because things can get nasty so you could found confusing issues

terry_lee Friend

hello

i tried importing the file called joomla.sql and it gives me error messages , another thing is that i got a problem with the import when i deleted all the existing tables and tried to import the sql file ( both joomla and sample data ) from the template package

for now i think i need to make a fresh install , upload the files and forget about the cpanel installer

thank you for your replies

tonyg Friend

Hi Terry,

As Shertmann suggested, it is much easier and better to start with the Quickstart. I won’t waist any more time, start again with the Quickstart ,you end up with a well configured system.

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@terry_lee 85054 wrote:</em><blockquote>hello

i tried importing the file called joomla.sql and it gives me error messages , another thing is that i got a problem with the import when i deleted all the existing tables and tried to import the sql file ( both joomla and sample data ) from the template package

for now i think i need to make a fresh install , upload the files and forget about the cpanel installer

thank you for your replies</blockquote>

You can throw CBull and Bulltastico right into the trashcan, those things are really not useful, use FTP and your browser address bar….:D

mj1256 Friend

i find cpanel with a assist from ftp very usefull

but as suggested, why are you doing this the hardway

use the quickstart

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@mj1256 85108 wrote:</em><blockquote>i find cpanel with a assist from ftp very usefull

but as suggested, why are you doing this the hardway

use the quickstart</blockquote>

CPanel is the “American Only” way of hosts, here in Europe, every host uses custom admins that are very much better than CPanel ever will be….:)

The only reason CPanel exists is that in the U.S. most hosts are only resellers of the bigger hosts and they can only offer the CPanel to customers…;)

This way the hosts can give their reseller hosts a sort of professional look with the CPanel but the CPanel is really only a fancy thing that has more attraction to most users because there are all the “free addons to the hosting” shown a bit below the admin stuff….;)

I think most bigger hosts really laugh about CPanel and the largest hosts in Europe will ask “What is this, where is the bottom of this thing, seems it floats somewhere in the endless universe, not knowing where it starts and where it ends…”;)

Here in Europe people will ask “Fantastico?” what is this a new detergent….:D:D:D:D:D:D

shertmann Friend

well i do not know your personal experience but i have tested other hosting control panels and i found cpanel very useful, i have tried a couple of times Plesk and i found useful but not as Cpanel, perhaps the only thing that can be a little tricky is that fantastico add on.

in the other hand i work myself with various hosting companys even with minerva hosting(spain based) and they work with cpanel too, so tells us about your experiences about another web host control panel maybe be can have a good experience and choose a better one in the future

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@shertmann 85127 wrote:</em><blockquote>well i do not know your personal experience but i have tested other hosting control panels and i found cpanel very useful, i have tried a couple of times Plesk and i found useful but not as Cpanel, perhaps the only thing that can be a little tricky is that fantastico add on.

in the other hand i work myself with various hosting companys even with minerva hosting(spain based) and they work with cpanel too, so tells us about your experiences about another web host control panel maybe be can have a good experience and choose a better one in the future</blockquote>

Minerva? They also produce oil for cooking etc.;)

The case is that I really only use hosts like STRATO AG, they are voted one of the best hosts in Europe, serve the European Union including Austria, Germany and also other countries like FRANCE and more European countries, I think anyone can usually host with them, also U.S. Persons etc.. They have their servers stored in two different non-public sites in the first step, have at least two data centers in different regions of the country and do that what one U.S. hosts offers as the special thing about them on a regular basis, they make constant mirror copies of all servers, also the ones with simple hosting accounts on. To loose data is not possible with them. They have 100% green servers, all the energy comes from natural resources only. There never was a DDOS attack on them, better said, no successful one and more things that make some other hosts stand there like beginners, there I even wonder about GoDaddy.com. I also used GoDaddy.com for years already, I test a vserver right now with Plesk 8.6. and I like this even more. I do not like CPanel as I do not like Bluehost, Hostmonster and others that are using the CPanel. I have most domains with STRATO, some with 1and1., some with Namecheap.com, some with GoDaddy.com and all those I would recommend to others, except GoDaddy.com and Namecheap.com, I would not recommend GoDaddy.com and Namecheap for a lot of sites, as just recently their servers were hit by DDOSs, meaning they are already in sight of attackers. The other ones really not, they are free and I think they also do a lot more for security than GoDaddy.com does.:cool: The case is, I like the custom admins these hosts have, what also means they are taking more time and invest more money into the customer and do not just plug a CPanel in the servers…;) I am into the traditional hosts, not the ones with unlimited deals that later always bring problems like the site is not loading quite often. Also JA here must have a server problem. Every few days, I can’t access the site, any browser is saying that the page is not accessible, a few hours later, while I work on other sites while JA is down, JA is back up again… And this is not really JAs fault but the hosts. And with all the hosts I use, I never had such fall outs and they can be fatal to businesses. :((

shertmann Friend

well i not know strato but i will check it seems pretty good. i actually work with hostgator and my experience with them is good so far.

godaddy.com in one moment was the one i analyze but then i opt for hostgator, but never i am closed to find a good host company. the one thing that calls my atention is that one that you say about custom control panel. so i will research a lot about this

shertmann Friend

about 1&1 i have a lot of proyects hosted in it so its a good a very pro company so its a good option too. but as i am reseller i always must try to found the best deal in busines. so if i found a better deal and support service i will change my host.

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@shertmann 85187 wrote:</em><blockquote>well i not know strato but i will check it seems pretty good. i actually work with hostgator and my experience with them is good so far.

godaddy.com in one moment was the one i analyze but then i opt for hostgator, but never i am closed to find a good host company. the one thing that calls my atention is that one that you say about custom control panel. so i will research a lot about this</blockquote>

Simply like GoDaddy.com has too. They have their own infrastructure that actually has a beginning and an end. It seems to be quite metaphoric to say “CPanel has no bottom” but as soon hosts develop an own Custom Admin for their sites, they have built the home on their own, know where what is, where space begins and ends. CPanel is like a software tool that can be set on any server in a hurry and that makes the big difference, Yet, it is easy for CPanel to administer all their clients and users as they all use the same but there it starts, it is a total mass product and not a custom product.;) When you compare Plesk to CPanel, CPanel is like the light light light light light version of Plesk.

When you are good with hostgator.com than you are, but I am not into supporting hosts that namely offer “unlimited hosting” where it is actually still limited as I do not like to accomodate to the imaginary factor of something “unlimited”. As when I really load 100 Terabyte on their server e.g. with an own Videosharing site or Auctionsite, they will come and say..”Hey we meant unlimited but not so much like you have here….” 😉 Got it?

And, most important, one has to pay 3 years in advance to get the value pack. In three years I can switch to whatever deal I want with other hosts and am not stuck in the same hosting package for 36 months and one knows what all can be changed in such a long time for the computer world, there my host already replaced all servers with new ones while hostgator still lets the old users sit on their old servers and only the newly joined also get the new ones but will experience the same as the old ones, at some point of time, their sites sit on outdated hardware and software….:((;):(( And for gods sake they work like that, the own profit is most important and they are only good with phrases like “Customer support is our main priority” also when there is no support, or only standard support, support that does not help and this phrase is namely taken from the templates lorem ipsum demo content. When I look at STRATOs Homepage, there is no banner on the frontpage “Customer Support is out main priority” they just provide the best! I mean support that is not just good in doing what I want when I say I want to cancel my deal immediately as the support lacks real support… 😉

shertmann Friend

well in fact i have no unlimited nothing because i know that when a company offers “unlimited” there is always a catch,so i went for the things set right, a good webspace a good bandwith(in a ratio 10:1) for all my customers, and as i said they until know has giving me good support but if was not hostgator i choose 1&1. in the subject of control panels well there is a big world out there and is a matter of point of view, when i start a hosting company i have not the time to develop a tool only for hosting control needs, when i have a lot out there ready and well tested, propietary or not. but when your business is hosting and domains(like all the isp cases i think is other situation), but i think is similar when you choose to work with joomla. you can make a good cms or custom framework, but you opt for joomla. why is that? because is easy, rad filosophy and with a little knowledge you can make a site look great, isn’t it? i think the real thing that matters are not the tools you choose, are the things that are behind that tools: the service, the team, quick technical support, etc. so Cpanel or not Plesk or not is question or taste, maybe another person can think i do not wank fedora host or i do not want centos host, or i want another database than mysql, and so.

but this subject is really interesting really makes you think what are the real reasons that leads you in one decision.

keep going your are closer of your goal.this little conversations are useful

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@shertmann 85196 wrote:</em><blockquote>well in fact i have no unlimited nothing because i know that when a company offers “unlimited” there is always a catch,so i went for the things set right, a good webspace a good bandwith(in a ratio 10:1) for all my customers, and as i said they until know has giving me good support but if was not hostgator i choose 1&1. in the subject of control panels well there is a big world out there and is a matter of point of view, when i start a hosting company i have not the time to develop a tool only for hosting control needs, when i have a lot out there ready and well tested, propietary or not. but when your business is hosting and domains(like all the isp cases i think is other situation), but i think is similar when you choose to work with joomla. you can make a good cms or custom framework, but you opt for joomla. why is that? because is easy, rad filosophy and with a little knowledge you can make a site look great, isn’t it? i think the real thing that matters are not the tools you choose, are the things that are behind that tools: the service, the team, quick technical support, etc. so Cpanel or not Plesk or not is question or taste, maybe another person can think i do not wank fedora host or i do not want centos host, or i want another database than mysql, and so.

but this subject is really interesting really makes you think what are the real reasons that leads you in one decision.

keep going your are closer of your goal.this little conversations are useful</blockquote>

Well this is the reason why I will never offer hosting. Like you say, having a lot out there is not always a pluspoint, and I do not want to have a lot out there and can only offer limited service in comparison to what the big hosts offer. I, personally, rather offer no hosting than only limited hosting also when I could sell huge packages and the customer even needs less I can offer, I could not provide what they get e.g. with 1&1 directly, so I just let it be. I do not want to do business that way, I would rather say to clients, chose this large host, you get more I could offer and the time I would spend for the lot out there I better spend into my work that literally brings me the same when doing less in that corner, and spending the time I should spend for that corner for another corner of my business where I then even only can give limited service for all corners of my business.

As you mention Tao and asian ways of philosophy, those ways also are based on exactly those principles. Do not do only a bit there and there, do all here and let others do their jobs there, who then do it the same good way like you do yours and you also profit from that the people who recognize your work here and their work there see that all is done correctly and with more care to it then you would try to get all things done by yourself but all of it is only limited.
    :((

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  wooohanetworks 15 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum