Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

It’s really that easy? Have you tried this with the JA Cooper Business that you mentioned?

One other thing…. I have heard there is a toolbar in IE8 that people can choose to run in “compatibility mode”. Does this fix require that the IE8 user is running in this mode, or will this work if they are using IE8 “out of the box” as most will certainly be doing in the beginning.

And, dumb question probably, but how will this fix affect the numerous IE6 fixes already in place in the templates?

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@altinkum 119103 wrote:</em><blockquote>l do use IE8 since yesterday and looks good, better security l think, Ja Cooper Business dont work by the way

Place the following HTML META tag into the head element of each Web page (before tags other than TITLE or META) and should be fine

<meta http-equiv=”X-UA-Compatible” content=”IE=7″ />

This will tell Windows Internet Explorer 8 to render each page as Windows Internet Explorer 7 would, fixing your Web site</blockquote>

Does this statement, turn on the compatibility mode or not? When it works without that the browser is “ghosting”, okay, otherwise, not a good solution.

didima Friend

Hi Guys,

You can find all the details in Microsofts developer site which is

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc817570.aspx

explaines all and hope helps, did with my wp site anyway

imsleepy Friend

<em>@altinkum 119103 wrote:</em><blockquote>l do use IE8 since yesterday and looks good, better security l think, Ja Cooper Business dont work by the way

Place the following HTML META tag into the head element of each Web page (before tags other than TITLE or META) and should be fine

<meta http-equiv=”X-UA-Compatible” content=”IE=7″ />

This will tell Windows Internet Explorer 8 to render each page as Windows Internet Explorer 7 would, fixing your Web site</blockquote>

Maybe jwellman might consider trying this on one site if we are all lucky and let us know the results? 😀

didima Friend

l do use IE8 and Ja Teline ll looks right mess, keep trying other now anyway, however l did fix mine as you can see at http://www.altinkumportal.com

Open Ja Teline ll in your admin panel and edit html, and add following code to under
    <html xmlns=”http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml” xml:lang=”<?php echo $this->language; ?>” lang=”<?php echo $this->language; ?>”>
    <meta http-equiv=”X-UA-Compatible” content=”IE=EmulateIE7″/> this is what you need to add

hope helps

imsleepy Friend

<em>@wooohanetworks 119106 wrote:</em><blockquote>Does this statement, turn on the compatibility mode or not? When it works without that the browser is “ghosting”, okay, otherwise, not a good solution.</blockquote>

Can you explain further… what is ghosting?

didima Friend

<em>@imsleepy 119113 wrote:</em><blockquote>Can you explain further… what is ghosting?</blockquote>

well l do use IE8 and now site looks ok, l will attache JA Teline picture and you can see whats look like on joomlart demo

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4656&stc=1&d=1237580559

1. Captureja
    wooohanetworks Friend

Again, this would apply to users in the USA and certainly also some European countries, where in a lot of countries, hey, do not care, first the people know much less about all that and second their laws are not yet defined as those in our parts of the world are. So anyone who knows what I talk about will know that is the own country it can, may, become a problem, but must not, so anyone must use those tools on their own risk and this is why I am asking if this code turns on the compatibility mode by ghost hands without that the users do that, agreed to it or had the chance to decide if to turn it on or not. Some people will say that this is nonsense, but they did not think enough about this. sorry:

The regular users, do not think about the people you just sent the note not to use IE8, the regular internet user, was always filled with information about spyware, malware, malicious malware, trojans that can remote control computers and those wares are not fiction. Now, this is not bad to raise internet awareness but it might become bad for people who use the “IE8 compatibility Plugin” for Joomla that detects IE8 and automatically turns on the compatibility mode in IE8 to render the site as like it is IE7. This is a very bad timing and a very bad idea to use this plugin, and you may understand why. The large sites the people frequently use, daily, they are IE8 fixed and now imagine what happens when they visit a site, and suddenly see that their browser changes from “a normal mode” to a ” compatibility mode”, first they do not know what this even is and second why is this thing turning on “by ghost hands”.

So, I stay away from it, as I know what hilarious and useful laws exist and what leaks in the laws lawyers can or will use when they can make money and clients make money and so the “spyware on the website turning on this mode is not doing something your visitors where agreeing to or had the chance to not agree to and leave the site but were forced to it”. No problem when you place a IE8 detector and a banner pops up telling your visitors with respect that your site is not ready for IE8 yet, that this is your fault and not the browsers fault and that they may turn on the compatibility mode, with clicking the right button on the top navigation of the browser to see the site in good shape”.

Otherwise, you disregard a lot of what users were educated about, internet privacy and when it comes to privacy people can get really angry on you when you do not respect theirs.

<em>@imsleepy 119100 wrote:</em><blockquote>From what jwellman said, the newer templates apparently have fixes in place. If one were to hunt down those fixes and apply them to the older templates will that work?

In the meantime, wouldn’t everyone actually have access to the information concerning IE8 when the first alpha tests were done? I know in the past, I was able to participate in beta testing for IE5. Of course, that was eons ago, maybe they do things differently now. I would think JA as a “major developer” would have been able to get initial info from release candidates as they came out since they obviously had this info when creating the new templates. Since they were able to make new templates that have fixes in place, I am confident there will be fixes for the older templates in no time. Or am I dreaming?</blockquote>

To the first question, those fixes are already present in all JA templates but I do not know if those work also when you customize the templates or how it will work when you apply those later to an old one you use and also already customized, as I tried it with one old one and it does not fix all what it should fix but like I said, the site is customized a lot, more than a lot, only someone who knows the template very good can say which is was. “Strangely”, some of those unchanged parts of the site are not rendered right and some of the unchanges plus the changes done comply to IE8.

The second thing, yes, they all had, but came with the note that “they need a more stable version of IE8 to apply fixes or it would not make sense”…the other one was I heard was, that “as long IE8 stable will comply to the internet standards, there should be no fixes needed.” So both is not very conscious, but you know, it’s Joomla.;)

imsleepy Friend

<em>@didima 119107 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi Guys,

You can find all the details in Microsofts developer site which is

explaines all and hope helps, did with my wp site anyway</blockquote>

Fantastic information! Thank you!!

Everyone should take a look at that as well as the full document located here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288325(VS.85).aspx tons of info about future compatibility.

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@imsleepy 119126 wrote:</em><blockquote>Fantastic information! Thank you!!

Everyone should take a look at that as well as the full document located here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288325(VS.85).aspx tons of info about future compatibility.</blockquote>

Right, but do not turn it on for users, educate them and let them do this, when they want…;)

imsleepy Friend

<em>@wooohanetworks 119127 wrote:</em><blockquote>Right, but do not turn it on for users, educate them and let them do this, when they want…;)</blockquote>

I would like more people to weigh in on this please.

Is the user aware that it goes to compatibility mode? I am a little confused if Microsoft is recommending this fix why would it not be good? It’s their browser. They are of course recommending this as a “quick fix” and showing other ways to eventually bring sites compatible.

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@imsleepy 119132 wrote:</em><blockquote>I would like more people to weigh in on this please.

Is the user aware that it goes to compatibility mode? I am a little confused if Microsoft is recommending this fix why would it not be good? It’s their browser. They are of course recommending this as a “quick fix” and showing other ways to eventually bring sites compatible.</blockquote>

From as far I see, the plugin that you can download from the JED turns on the compatibility mode upon detecting it is IE8. This is not what the old IE6 dectectors do, they show a note that the users should upload a new browser.

Now, you can make it easy, with a bit of coding you can change such IE6 plugins to IE8 detectors and the people using IE8 will get same note but this time you tell them that the site does not comply to IE8 yet, you will change it soon but until then they should manually turn on the compatibility mode.

Now, when this code is from Microsoft, I still will not implement it, also when they say one can, as when you reflect on that they just recently did stop their own “automatic IE8 update” because of complaints etc., why should I follow their guidelines in these cases, it completely avoids that any issues I mentioned will ever come up and that I have to explain visitors or clients that Microsoft told me to write this code into my site so that this mode turns on automatically. The people will be stuck on “write this code”, “compat mode”, “MS told me”, and a lot will deny the understanding and this makes you loose credibility and user confidence that your site is professional and legal wise managed by you and not the people you refer to when they ask why this happens on your site.

Worst things to do, same like always only telling your host is bad, the site is not working because your host is bad but you do not change it and simply switch the host. At least when you have sites that have the approach to be 100% professional, you should avoid this. For a local community site or whatever small site, it should be no problem, as the community will understand, but not for sites that need to be stable and where to simply blame someone else for the own faults, only harms the operator, the site owner, the developer, where the competition will love you.

As I want to grab the word perversion, that just came up recently in some other thread here. The whole thing really is nothing about Joomla, it is about CSS and some PHP, so you can’t blame Joomla. The other thing is, I would say it is perversion to rely on some compatibility mode as the one and only solution to make your sites compatible. As think about it, people rate you and your sites also on how you handle such issues and when someone spends time and money to get the own site native IE8 compatible, those are the winners. People who simply place a meta tag and really truly plan never to make the sites native compatible, they will one day be out of business, because as soon more issues like those come up, they would do the same also for other cases.

The perversion is not only created by people who act this way, but also by this, look at a Google Search Screenshot with the search term “how to make your site compatible with IE8”, mostly all of those first only tell you to insert the meta tag that turns on the compat mode automatically. But look at number 2 in the row.

stbrides Friend

I find it difficult to understand or believe that a company the size of Microsoft turns out such a dumb browser.
    Every one of my sites (all joomlart) is screwed up by the thing.
    One is still a J 1.0 site – I installed the plugin on
    http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/style-&-design/accessibility/7623/details

As per the instructions of Microsoft itself

I put the code in the head of my other site.
    <meta http-equiv=”X-UA-Compatible” content=”IE=EmulateIE7″/>

Unbelievable – MS tells the rest of the internet how to cope with its half wit efforts.
    This product has caused me to junk whole websites because they will not render properly and despite every effort I was not able to fix the problem.

jwellman Friend

<em>@imsleepy 119108 wrote:</em><blockquote>Maybe jwellman might consider trying this on one site if we are all lucky and let us know the results? :D</blockquote>
    Sorry guys… I’ve been absolutely swamped the last few weeks. (PHPbb Forum crashed and we installed V-Bulletin). I will try using the code later this evening because I really want this site fixed. The rest can wait a bit but this one has too many users to shove the IE8 problem under the rug. I’m using Wistery and it has more problems than any of the other sites. I even contemplated using a newer template but due to time constraints I’ve been unable to go that route.

jwellman Friend

Despite wooohanetworks IE8 rampage all over the entire forum…:)

I fixed the site, that had the most errors, with the code provided above. Hopefully I can find time to post the errors in the Wistery forum but so far I haven’t seen a post replied to from JA (in reference to future IE8 fixes in older templates). Perhaps they’ve not had time to address the issues. 😉

Screen shots before the fix
    Photo 1
    Photo 2
    Photo 3

Live site after the IE8 Fix

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

This topic contains 40 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  folkbear 15 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum