Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I’m having IE issues with a template I modified. If anyone out there has a solution I would be most grateful!! We are working on a site where the header and logo have been modified. Here is the original template: Ja Sargas and here is the live site: Click here.

If you view the site in Firefox there are no issues with the main menu (the one at the top). If you view in Explorer 7, the menu does not show up at all. In IE6, the background drops and the menu is in a white area about 100 pixels high at the top of the page.

I would really like this site to work but I’m going to have to switch templates if I can’t get it fixed. Any suggestions on how to re-code the menu to accommodate IE?

Jessica

jwellman Friend

Bumpity, bump 😎

bennitos Friend

hiya, took a look at this (read another look), and using the IE developer toolbar i managed to find out that the menu shows just find in IE, it only shows Behind the header image.

Been trying out some css tweaks and some make it show correctly but in my eyes my sollution looked like a ugly fix (no css pro here :P)

But i believe you can fix this problem using z-indexes. Maybe someone else can tell you how to propery apply z-indexes or maybe you can find a guide for it as i never used them.

Hope this helps you a little bit.

jwellman Friend

Thanks Bennitos. Rebecca told me she thought the menu had fallen behind and was not showing up. I’m having no luck fixing it. I’m not experienced with Z-indexes either but I tried several different things and nothing worked. I need an expert on this one but I guess everyone is busy. I PM’ed one of the JA staff but he didn’t reply.

bennitos Friend

Well i did find some ways to show it propery, will send you those tomorrow.

But im not an expert in css so i wasnt sure that it was a clean fix, so was hoping someone else would 😛

Will send you the changes, so you can test if it works ok and if it wont mess other things up (looked good on my side)

scotty Friend

Hi Jessica, yea you have done the CSS a little wrong I think.

The main background image (with the child) at the top should be the background for #ja-headerwrap and not #ja-container. I think because #ja-container is styled after the mainnav that is why it is disappearing in IE.

#ja-container (should) starts below the main header image but you have it starting at the top with padding to allow for the image. Here lies the problem.

I suggest you go back to original CSS. You could piece the original header image and container image (the grey-white border) together in Photoshop then paste the childs picture and title on to it and then re-slice this image back to seperate images for the CSS. If you know what I mean?

I can help you with this if needed.

It’s bed time here now but I’ll have a look tomorrow to see how your getting on.

scotty Friend

jwellman;92084 I’m not experienced with Z-indexes either but I tried several different things and nothing worked.

z-indexing will only work if you apply position:absolute to the CSS.

EDIT: oh and position: absolute will only work if the containing block has positioning 🙂

scotty Friend

Had another look… I’m kinda’ thinking out load here so sorry if you don’t follow.

Leave the original #ja-headerwrap as is (the clouds).Add the pic of the child (with transparent background) to #ja-header as the background (this will allow for browser resizing better).

The title ‘A new beginning…’ could be used as the logo if you want to make it a link.

The feet of the kid can be pasted on to content-bg.gif and a little padding applied to move the content down.

Doing it all this way allows for proper ‘flow’ to be kept so should not cause problems with IE.

Excellent article here on flow and positioning in CSS.

Feel free to MSN me if you run into trouble. Address in profile.

jwellman Friend

Thanks Scotty… I tried everything possible and finally had to do like you said and return everything to the way it started. Becca is going to try and pull my graphics into her Photo Shop later this evening. (The only thing I have is Paint Shop Pro). I’m going to be really disappointed if we can’t get it to work. I like the baby’s photo hanging off of the logo design and will not be happy until it’s back. 😉

The only way I can get the menu to behave is to publish something in the User 4 position or to enable the site tools. I ended up putting the search feature back up just to get the menu to behave. I could kick myself in the arse for picking such an old template. The only thing I could see (in my mind) was the baby at the top and that’s why I picked it. The template has several errors in IE. :((

jwellman Friend

Thank you for all your hard work Scotty! You’ve been awesome! 🙂

So far so good in IE7 and FF. Tonight Scotty is going to see if he can figure out the IE6 errors. Have I told everyone today how much I hate IE? >:(

jwellman Friend

Just returning to let everyone know that Scotty came through and helped with the code on this site. I’ve put it in the Member Showcase. [url=http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/personal-site-using-ja-sargas-hedera/

cjmicro Friend

I did have an issue with this but don’t remember which template or site, but I do remember changing the z-index of something did fix it.

I think it was set to 9999 and I changed it to 999…. I”m sure that’s real helpful, but you can put a z-index in on whatever you want to be in front and see if that helps. If you don’tknow the syntax a google search would certainly bring you some answers.

Cheryl

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  cjmicro 15 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum