Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

What started as a simple template purchase, get a Joomla developer, make a few tweaks and I’m done …. is turning into a nightmare ….. your advice is much appreciated.

Requirement: The main requirement is to support online photo sales of private functions (weddings) and public sport events and the other template features like voting is a bonus but not critical … I don’t need/want users to be able to upload their own photos or download images with first going through a shopping cart…..

My issue … along comes developer … and 2 weeks latter concludes …. all looks good but says RSGallery isn’t very feature rich and doesn’t have a shopping cart (says refer http://rsgallery2.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,17/topic,6689.0) … can use Gallery 2 instead (look at http://gallery.menalto.com/) …… I say ok …. starts to do a prototype then concludes that Gallery 2 features may not be as good as RS and won’t be able to integrate the look & feel (eg slideshow on homepage) or the admin because its not an inherent joomla component like RSGallery2.

Help !!! …. what do I do ….

1. Get RS to work with a shopping cart and prey that the other known RS bugs will get solved asap
    2.Proceed with Gallery 2 and its simple cart (prototype installed and basics working) and sacrifice the integrated look & feel/integrated admin that Avian has with RSGallery2
    3. other …

many thanks for reading … any suggestions apreciated … regards don

Hung Dinh Friend

<blockquote>1. Get RS to work with a shopping cart and prey that the other known RS bugs will get solved asap
    2.Proceed with Gallery 2 and its simple cart (prototype installed and basics working) and sacrifice the integrated look & feel/integrated admin that Avian has with RSGallery2
    3. other …[/QUOTE
    I think if your main purpose is a shopping cart the RSgallery is not a good option to start with. In the end,what your user need are good ways to access product information, product comparision, multi product purchase, sercured payment gateway and a convinient way to checkout. RSGallary can be nice to present your photos but for above requirements, RSGallary is not enough, at least with the current versions

lovelife Friend

Thanks for your quick reply Hung. Perhaps you can help me understand what effort will be required to get another gallery like “Gallery 2” to integrate more seamlessly with the Avian II template in a similar way to the RSGallery ….. or is this going to be a fruitless exercise?

regards don

jsperl Friend

Have you looked into Virtuemart? I would think something like this that is built for ecommerce from the ground up would serve you much better than trying to twist an image gallery into something it wasn’t designed for.

lovelife Friend

thanks jsperl …. my freelance developer just walked …. got too hard …… so I’m back to the start line.

I will do some research on Virtuemart but I’m not a developer so I can only get a general idea based on claims and user comments.

Its a shame that RSGallery2 has so many problems … it looks really good…

iedwards Friend

I would have thought Virtuemart would do this for you, it has the option to sell downloads (your photographs) and will dsiplay thumbnails of the images for users to browse. Depending on how many images you are displaying you could use RSGallery to slideshow them and manually set a link from each image to the item in the shop. If you wanted to get clever some integration could be written.

The main problem I see is one of user rights. Presumably you don’t want people from Wedding A to be able to view and purchase photographs from Wedding B. Standard rights management within Joomla isn’t sophisticated enough to manage this (there are no user groups as such).

I am sure if you go to the freelance developers topic in this forum there will be people who’d offer to take this up for you.

lovelife Friend

thanks for taking the time to reply iedwards …. I’ve been waiting for my new developer to make some progress and surprise suprise he just quit …. I’ve been tendering the work on getafreelancer.com and despite the fact these guys have been super keen …. 3 guys selected each with good references have walked.

I think each guy has realised its going to be a lot more work than he quoted ……. even though on the last tender it was a requirement to look at the dev site and confirming the requirements before bidding.

I think the way forward may be to stick with RSgallery and get someone to apply all the fixes … seems like there is only one major bug left and enough attention to get it sorted. Then maybe virtuemart which I already have installed … I will have thousands of photos so I will need to understand how complex this makes integration.

Any more thoughts appreciated … cheers don

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  lovelife 16 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum