Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I’ve used some HTML entities in K2 item titles, such as —

These are displayed correctly in modules that draw content from K2, but the K2 pages themselves (item page or category page) are showing the code rather than the character.

How can I correct this?

phong nam Friend

Hi matbeard7,

You need to configure the Text Filter options for the different user groups in Global Configurations. And go to Plugin Manager >> Editor – TinyMCE >> Entity Encoding >> Set “Named”. See here if JCE is your default editor. Remember to clear JAT3 cache after saving changes.

matbeard7 Friend

Thanks for the suggestions, but that doesn’t make sense. Firstly, I’m the only person using this CMS and always login as a Super User and there’s ‘No Filtering’ configured.

Secondly, the HTML entities are not being stripped out when saving. Like I say — they appear correctly when K2 content is displayed in other (third-party) modules. It’s just the K2 component that is displaying the codes, rather than interpreting them, so I get — rather than —

On a related issue, I’ve also noticed that the meta tags for title and description are also screwed up, which is a bit of a problem when people link to the site from Facebook.

phong nam Friend

Hi matbeard7,

The module always include a php function for interpreting HTML entities that is why the title displays fine on K2 content. I saw the related issue on Facebook sharing when the HTML entities are not interpreted. Well, HTML filtering feature will depend on your default Editor also. So, You should try to switch to Editor – TinyMCE as a default editor (CodeMirror is your default editor now). Then don’t forget to inform me your result.

matbeard7 Friend

<em>@Leo Burnetts 380425 wrote:</em><blockquote>The module always include a php function for interpreting HTML entities that is why the title displays fine on K2 content.</blockquote>
    Why is it that a third-party module can interpret HTML entities in the title, but K2 component can’t? This doesn’t make sense to me.

<em>@Leo Burnetts 380425 wrote:</em><blockquote>Well, HTML filtering feature will depend on your default Editor also.</blockquote>
    The problem is affecting the article Title, which (I may be wrong) isn’t controlled by the editor. But, as far as content is concerned, surely using an editor such as CodeMirror allows me to see exactly what data is being saved into the database. If I put a simple apostrophe in the content, such as that’s — it is displayed as that's in the meta description (regardless of which editor I use).

I realise some of this problem may be to do with K2 rather than the Zite template, but this is really frustrating so any suggestions are welcome.

matbeard7 Friend

I thought it was just me! Take a look at this page from your Zite demo: http://joomla25-templates.joomlart.com/ja_zite/k2/instagram/item/571-instagram-id-223261796691411418_1323391.html

Look at the meta description: the apostrophe is wrongly encoded.

also, I’ve used your demo builder to create a zite based site. I’ve created a test K2 item that contains an — in the title and an apostrophe in the text. You can see the result here: http://matbeard2.joomweb.com/index.php/blog-style/item/732-this-title-has-an-mdash-long-dash-character>

As you can see… it’s screwed up!:(

phong nam Friend

Hi matbeard7,

You are right. Our JA Zite quickstart demo also faces this HTML entities error. I have found a solution from K2 forum, you can see at http://getk2.org/community/New-to-K2-Ask-here-first/162002-Problem-when-sharing-at-Facebook-with-GR-chars#162035 .

Note: If possible, you should update your K2 with latest version 2.6.7 (your version 2.6.2). Clear Joomla cache after installing. In addition, I will transfer your feedback to our dev team for updating this K2 bug fix in next update of JA Zite quickstart. Thank you 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  phong nam 10 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum