Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I have not found any instructions on how to upgrade JA Teline II. I am guessing that upgrading the template goes like this:

1. Uninstall the JA Teline II 1.3

2. Uninstall JA Teline II’s modules and plugin

3. Install JA Teline II 1.5

4. Install JA Teline II modules and plugin

5. Configure and modify as required

Are these the correct steps or am I missing something? :confused: Please let me know.

Thank you

gaygiorgia Friend

i think upgrading joomla and ja_telineII template is always a noising thing…
    infact we always have to mind that problems and fatal error can occurs in any moment:
    1) a different version of the template could have problems with a certain version of joomla.
    2) a different version of the template could have problems with a certain state of the DB (i mean import and export functions).
    3) a different version of the template could have problems with third party software (that works good with another version of it);

i suggest to you to download xampp last version and make a clone of your online website.
    or, better, make another clone online of your website.
    first of all download last pack of joomla and last pack of template. install them, install all others software, and finally import the db.

otherwise u have to follow the changes from changelog, install every fix from reference thread, but i do not suggest this, since there are not complete information…

Benjamin Falcon Friend

Thanks for your response. I have created a clone on my local computer and I followed my original steps above.

Since the extensions were included in the newest template update, I will assume that the extensions were updated too. Unfortunately, the changelog does not tell us if the extensions have been updated.

This means that we must uninstall / reinstall all extensions when updating the template.

If we had customized the extensions, we can save time by not reinstalling the same extensions if the extensions were not updated in the new template.

Of course, we can compare the extensions looking for changes (which I will do), but I would recommend that JoomlaArt include version numbering for extensions.

Since the extensions have no version numbers, it makes it more difficult to upgrade our template.

gaygiorgia Friend

yes infact is what i think too.
    a good sw to obtain a local server is last version of XAMPP.

Benjamin Falcon Friend

Thanks again.

Just wanted to add that I did check the contents of the extensions and all the zipped files included in JA Teline II 1.5.5 do contain source files that have been modified from 1.5.3.

This means that we must remove then reinstall the extensions found in the 1.5.5 update.

Regards,

Jeff

cgc0202 Friend

Technically, it is possible to upgrade Joomla separately and Teline II separately — without using the uninstall — install procedure.

Especially if you already have an existing highly customized site with lots of content, I would avoid the uninstall — install procedure. You can literally introduced errors and even if you don’t get errors, some key customizations you have done to your Teliine II files will be overwritten or replaced during an uninstall-install procedure.

In my post:

Need for Joomlart Template Fix (Patch) Update without resort to uninstall/reinstall
    http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/need-for-joomlart-template-fix-patch-update-without-resort-to-uninstallreinstall/

it is possible to simply upgrade the Teline II component if JoomlArt providess what is called a Joomlart Template Fix (Patch) Update, in our case that will be a Teiine II Fix (Patch) Update. If you read the response of Hung

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/showpost.php?p=73676&postcount=15

in that thread, you will find that Hung agrees about the concept of a the use of a Joomlart Template Fix (Patch) Update:

<em>@Hung Dinh 73676 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    B]If your customization is huge.[/B]

Then there will be no point in updating everything. You can look at the change log to see if the update is important to you.
    </blockquote>

Everyone who participated in the Poll agreed for the need for this Joomlart Template Fix (Patch) Update.

Unfortunately, at the moment, JoomlArt is hesitant to provide this Joomlart Template Fix (Patch) Update because it means added work for them. Hung mistakenly thought it is a lot of work for them because he misunderstood how the upgrade was supposed to be done

<em>@Hung Dinh 73676 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    Secondly, about the Patch for each template.
    This is really a big job for the fast growing number of the templates that we are providing.

Let’s look at some fact and figures

84 templates
    Joomla update from 1.5.5 to 2.0 how many updates we may have? 40, 50, 60? Let’s say: 50
    If we provide only patch of the most recent version to the latest version, the consequent update from 1.5.3 to 1.5..4 and then to 1.5.5 can easily go wrong.
    So we need to release every patches for every Joomla updates
    So how may patch we will have? You can make the calculation yourself
    How we can handle the download section so that it can be easy and convenient to use.
    Let’s count the number of PATCH we need to release when we have a Joomla new update
    </blockquote>

It is not needed to integrate the upgrade patch of Joomla and the Joomlart Template components. Actually, only a few Teline II files (less than a dozen) need to be changed, if you look at the changelog.

Most of the changes are in a single file, the helper.php, that is confusing because the fixes done in the helper.php include conflicting “wants” of Joomlart customers. If you read the post of gaygiorgia on the <br />

Joomlart staff are trying to find a way if it is possible to resolve these conflicts. Stay tuned, a fix may be available soon.

In fact, if you do not use some features — e.g., the You Tube module, or the default registration/login module, etc. — you do not have to update the files specific for those needed for those features.

If Hung understood this — the separation of the Joomla upgrade and the Joomlart Template upgrade, although both have to be done for your site to work — it will take just a few minutes to upgrade your existing site.

To prove my point. I have done the upgrade of many existing Joomla1.5.x-Teline II sites, an example is this:

Joomla University

and all I needed to do was update from Joomla 1.5.x using the patch update specific for the previous version of Joomla 1.5.x. If you click the

Joomla University

I included there some articles copied verbatim from Joomla, for example,

Joomla! 1.5.6 Released

Included in that article is the general procedure for updating an existing Joomla site.

Basically, the procedure for the Joomla component upgrade is this:

1. Download the appropriate Joomla 1.5.x patch that you need
    2. Unpack the Joomla 1.5.x patch that you need
    3. Upload via FTP the Joomla 1.5.x patch that you need

that’s it, a no-brainer. You can watch TV or read any in the internet (or call someone else) while you monitor any of the above steps.

In the example site I showed, it was Joomla 1.5.5 so I have to use the corresponding Joomla 1.5.5 to Joomla 1.5.6 Patch Update.

Technically, since the Joomla 1.5.6 release is a security update, there usually may be no change of any of the files in the Template component. So, in the example shown —

Joomla University
    — all I have to do is update the Joomla component using the Joomla 1.5.5 to Joomla 1.5.6 Patch Update — and it is working.

However, the Joomla 1.5.5 update included among others change in the SEO features of Joomla, and this required changes in the Joomlart Template components. I will discuss this separately, since this is already very long.

Cornelio

Benjamin Falcon Friend

Cornelio, thanks for the response. This is my first template upgrade and I have not found any specific instructions on what is necessary.

How I upgraded to JA Teline 1.5.5

First, I upgraded to the newest version of Joomla of course. Then:

1. uninstall the older 1.5.3 template

2. uninstall 1.5.3 template’s modules and the jazin plugin

3. install the new 1.5.5 template

4. install the newer modules and plugin.

5. apply any template customization that may have been overwritten during the upgrade

Was step #2 above required or could we ignore it and do just steps 1,3,4,5?

Thanks!

cgc0202 Friend

Hi directcorrespondentlender,

In fact, it is a lot simpler — just avoid the uninstall and install procedure.

I have done this in incremental steps: I have done upgrades of

1. Upgrade from Joomla 1.5.3-Teline II to Joomla 1.5.4-Teline II
    2. => if I am not mistaken this required a simple (single file) Teline II patch, and the Joomla Patch upgrade from Joomla 1.5.3 to Joomla 1.5.4

3. Upgrade from Joomla 1.5.4-Teline II to Joomla 1.5.5-Teline II
    4. =>this required just a two files in Teline II to patch,and the Joomla Patch upgrade from Joomla 1.5.4 to Joomla 1.5.5

in both I did not perform any of the tedious process you outlined below.

Note that the above sequential upgrade was needed because when we were discussing the bug fixes on Teline II, I already upgraded to Joomla 1.5.4, and the next day, Joomla 1.5.5 came out. The two files in Teline II that were patch was because of an error introduced, and the needed change in the script because of the change in the SEO features of Joomla 1.5.5

1. Fresh QuickStart installation of Joomla 1.5.5-Teline II
    2. => I decided to do a fresh install because there were several files in Teline II

3. Upgrade from Joomla 1.5.5-Teline II to Joomla 1.5.6-Teline II
    4. => Technically, this did not require a Teline II patch, just the Joomla Patch upgrade from Joomla 1.5.4 to Joomla 1.5.5 without performing the tedious process you outlined below.

Technically therefore you can do this:

Upgrade from Joomla 1.5.3-Teline II to Joomla 1.5.6-Teline II through simple patches:

1. Upgrade from Joomla 1.5.3 to Joomla 1.5.6 using the appropriate Joomla 1.5.3-to 1.5.6 Patch (click the link in my previous post)
    2. Patch with the fixed files of Teline II that needed to be changed either because of bugs or to be conformant with script changes in Joomla 1.5.x upgrades
    3. => This will involve only a few — maybe 4 or six but definitely less than a dozen– Teline II files (from several thousand files).

without performing the tedious process you outlined below.

The changeog will tell you what files are involved. The changelog included links and the links identify the file affected and the fix. From my participation in the fixes, you can ignore the earlier fixes in the Joomla 1.5.3-Teline II because those SEO fixes are superceded by the SEO fixes in Joomla 1.5.5

The most complex file with fixes is the helper.php because there are several changes — some trying to respond to contradictory wants of members.

What you outlined below is the standard procedure suggested. It is not only tedious, very complex and could result in what is referred to as random “fidelity errors”. The actual steps actually is more than five.

1. Upload Joomla 1.5.3 to 1.5.6 Patch
    2. Uninstall older Teline II template
    3. Install latest Teline II template => ja_teline_ii_template_j15.zip
    4. Uninstall older mod_ja_catslw
    5. Install latest mod_ja_catslw => mod_ja_catslwi.zip
    6. Uninstall older mod_janews_fp
    7. Install latest mod_janews_fp => mod_janews_fp.zip
    8. Uninstall older mod_janews
    9. Install latest mod_janews => mod_janews.zip
    10. Uninstall older plg_jazin
    11. Install latest plg_jazin => plg_jazin.zip
    12. Restore modified (customized) files

If your site have been highly customized, the last step is the most time consuming. Not only that, each step could go awry, and you end up with a problem that may never be resolved. So might be forced to start again. But, read all the problems gaygiorgia with his most recent fresh install of Joomla 1.5.6-Teline II.

And the problems that are there, anyway for the latest versions. Several days now, and yet no solution. Since you are essentially, using the same files in the iinstallation stage of the uninstall and install process, you will enounter the same problems.

So why in the world are we asked to do the above if it can be done in a few minutes using a simple “Teline II (Fix) Patch.

For the above reasons, I am trying to rally members to join me in petitioning Joomla to provide what I refer to as a Teline II (Fix) Patch. If this is available, updating the Template component would be as easy as doing the Joomla 1.5.x patch. It will take only a few minutes. So, I hope you will lend your support when I create a new thread on this.

Cornelio

<em>@directcorrespondentlender 75211 wrote:</em><blockquote>Cornelio, thanks for the response. This is my first template upgrade and I have not found any specific instructions on what is necessary.

How I upgraded to JA Teline 1.5.5

First, I upgraded to the newest version of Joomla of course. Then:

1. uninstall the older 1.5.3 template

2. uninstall 1.5.3 template’s modules and the jazin plugin

3. install the new 1.5.5 template

4. install the newer modules and plugin.

5. apply any template customization that may have been overwritten during the upgrade

Was step #2 above required or could we ignore it and do just steps 1,3,4,5?

Thanks!</blockquote>

Benjamin Falcon Friend

Updating the template has been tedious and alot of work. I agree that a patch would be most welcomed by all of us. I think a patch could be created that automatically handles items #2-11 below:

After the patch, we would be left with dealing with #12 and we would have to manually go in ourselves and apply any customization we had before.

Best Regards,

Jeff

cgc0202 Friend

Hi Jeff,

That is the beauty of the Teline II (Fix) Patch, it does not affect any of your customized files — unless one of these customized files are themselves are the one affected. From the changelog, one of the more likely customized file in the template.css. The solution to this is to integrate the fix to the template.css..

In effect therefore, the upgrade of a Joomla1.5.x-Teline II — or for that matter any Joomla-Template — simplifies into two steps:

1. Update with the Joomla Patch
    2. => This step involves download of Joomla Patch, Unpack and the FTP upload of the unpacked Joomla Patch

3. Update with the Teline II (Fix) Patch
    4. => If JoomlArt provides the Teline II (Fix) Patch, it will involve the same steps as the Joomla — download of Joomla Patch, Unpack and the FTP upload of the unpacked Teline II (Fix) Patch

The above procedure works for any Joomla-Template site.

If JoomlArt does not provide periodic update of the Teline II (Fix) Patch we should unite together to persuade JoomlArt to do so, and persist until we realize this goal. In the meantime, we should work together to create an interim patch. The guide is the changelog that is contained in the dowloaded latest Joomla-Teline II kit.

By the way, if you are just starting, and you do not have much content and customized files yet, it may be much easier just to begin anew — perform the easy install of the latest version and fresh download of the Joomla1.5.x-Teline II QuickStart Kit.

Here is the link to my observaltions to the successful fresh install of the latest Joomla 1.5.3-Teline II.

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/showpost.php?p=75302&postcount=51

Based on this observations, all I have to do then is make a copy of the “fixed” files, and create a Teline II (Fix) Patch from there.

Cornelio

<em>@directcorrespondentlender 75289 wrote:</em><blockquote>Updating the template has been tedious and alot of work. I agree that a patch would be most welcomed by all of us. I think a patch could be created that automatically handles items #2-11 below:

After the patch, we would be left with dealing with #12 and we would have to manually go in ourselves and apply any customization we had before.

Best Regards,

Jeff</blockquote>

mayke Friend

Hi there,

Is anyone know this easy great Tools for Joomla? Will Telline work with this?

Advanced Tools for 1.5
    http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,4222/Itemid,35/

“Advanced Tools is a set of Tools for Joomla! 1.5 designed to make your life easier. It includes time savers like the Update Manager, that allows you to update your site easily, Library and Package Managers to handle installation of libraries and large multipart extensions. It also features the Advanced Tools “Advanced” Menu which can be edited by the included Table Editor. If you have migrated your site, the Table Editor also features editors for the Migration Backlinks table and the Migration Configuration table (for Migrator RC7 or greater migrated sites).”

Please read the installation notes before installing as this extension writes to the /libraries/joomla/installer/adapters folder as well as the normal extension locations.

This section contains information about products that are designed for Joomla! 1.5

* Joomla! Library Manager ( 2 Articles )
    The Joomla! Library Manager is a component for Joomla! 1.5 for installing and uninstalling libraries into Joomla!, something that is not offered by default. It works by augmenting the universal installer to allow libraries to installed via this method and providing a component to view the details of libraries and uninstall them.

* Joomla! Package Manager ( 2 Articles )
    Joomla! Package Manager is a package manager for Joomla! 1.5 to enable large packages of multiple different components, modules and all other extensions automatically. It will also feature the ability to uninstall entire sets of extensions as well.

* Smaller Tools ( 5 Articles )
    These are smaller tools like the Migration Assistant that are quite simple products for Joomla! 1.5

* Simple Table Editor ( 3 Articles )
    Simple Table Editor is a tool designed to allow simplified table editing utilising parts of Joomla! 1.5’s JParameter framework to leverage easy to install and configure database forms.

* Advanced Tools ( 2 Articles )
    Advanced Tools is a kit that automatically installs various components into your Joomla! site.

Thank you Guys.

felsimedia Friend

I followed the steps above and the Teline II upgrade is a very tedious task.
    So from 1.3 Teline, I reinstalled the latest. On my experience, steps 10 and 11 can be omitted since there is already a magazine menu present. It had just gave me a huge headache when I curiously turned it on. I was late I realized I created another magazine menu and garbled the site.

After solving everything, I thought I should be happy. I noticed that login and register aren’t working in Internet Explorer… like the other members here. How I wish I just upgraded the Joomla core.

In my opinion, a patch won’t be done in the near future. If joomlart can’t answer tons of questions in the forum, how could they find time to create this. Let us just unite and create a separate group out of joomlart… I guess.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  felsimedia 15 years, 8 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum