Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

What are the steps to upgrade Teline IV both Joomla 1.5 to 1.7 and the template itself?

TomC Moderator

<em>@gjensen 268012 wrote:</em><blockquote>What are the steps to upgrade Teline IV both Joomla 1.5 to 1.7 and the template itself?</blockquote>
    Greetings . . . . .

While I understand that a J1.5 to J1.7 migration CAN be done, I am also told it is not an easy process.

Is this a situation where you already have quite a bit of customization to your Teline IV J1.5 based site, so that starting with a fresh J1.7 install is not reasonably feasible at this time?

gray Friend

Try following this guideline (didn’t find for 1.5 to 1.7 directly).
    From my personal experience, I ended with fresh 1.7 install and adding content/component step-by-step. It’s a long process but finally you’ll get a working site.

gjensen Friend

I haven’t done too much customization. So I could do a completely new install of Teline IV for Joomla 1.7.

My question is: will the sections, categories and articles transfer via a php admin sql upload o as part of the install or are the data fields in 1.7 different than 1.5 joomla?

Also is it worth it, does it speed up the site and prevent the page freezes I’m getting now?

adnanpirota Friend

I also did a fresh install, first exported the content and afterwards imported it to 1.6

gray Friend

<em>@gjensen 268225 wrote:</em><blockquote>I haven’t done too much customization. So I could do a completely new install of Teline IV for Joomla 1.7.

My question is: will the sections, categories and articles transfer via a php admin sql upload o as part of the install or are the data fields in 1.7 different than 1.5 joomla?

Also is it worth it, does it speed up the site and prevent the page freezes I’m getting now?</blockquote>

Joomla 1.6 introduced multicategory – so you’ll not be able to copy directly the categories. As regards content (table com_content) – check table structure before uploading – not sure in 1.6/1.7 it’s the same as in 1.5.

TomC Moderator

<em>@gjensen 268225 wrote:</em><blockquote>I haven’t done too much customization. So I could do a completely new install of Teline IV for Joomla 1.7.
    </blockquote>
    That would be my recommendation at this point . . . as it will be infinitely easier to go from J1.7 to the next LTS release (J2.5).

gjensen Friend

Thank you all for the upgrade advice. I tried first going to1.6 with a fresh install and using php to re-install data with no luck, tried the same with Joomla 1.7 – no luck

On my third attempt I used jupgrade and was sucessful with the upgrade process .

My problem is that the format is all messed up – I have missing modules and the Ja news Feature will allow me to modify it, I get and operation failed.

I have set ftp to enable, used 777 permissions required for installation/modification I’m sending yo my login info via pm

TomC Moderator

I’m still of the opinion that you should start from scratch with a clean/fresh Teline IV J1.7 quickstart (w/ sample data) install – as this is virtually guaranteed to provide you with a virtual clone of our demo version. From there, you can customize to your heart’s content knowing that everything is in place and as it should be.

gjensen Friend

I tried doing that and couldn’t get the database to installed. I had downloaded the database using phpadmin. I tried to import the data into
    joomla 1.7/Teline IV but it wouldn’t go. I have 600 articles posted I don’t want to lose.

gjensen Friend

Success!! I upgraded from Joomla 1.5/Teline IV to Joomla 1.7 and Teline IV – see at http://www.greatfamilyvacationdestinations.com

Here’s how I did it:

Back up everything!

I used a migration extension, SP Upgrade, http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/migration-a-conversion/joomla-migration/15609 there
    is a small cost but it is worth it because your url’s are preserved ( Protect Google Search Results and inbound links) and they offer great
    customer support.

It only upgrades Joomla from 1.5 to 1.7 so you have to re-install most extensions and the Teline IV template.

Your new 1.7 site should be originally set up in a different folder than your 1.5 site so that you can take time to go through the site and
    make sure all settings are correct and everything is working.

The upgrading process messes up module and some menu position settings.

The easiest way to fix all the settings is to have a Quickstart Joomla 1.7/TelineIV demo site to compare your site with – fill out the form
    on this page and they will create one for you for free. Go to http://www.joomlart.com/demo/#joomla16-templates.joomlart.com/ja_teline_iv and click on the “Demo Builder tab to the left. Takes about an hour to get it set up for you.

When your Joomla 1.7/ Teline IV site is working the way you want, copy your 1.5 site into a folder, then move your new Joomla 1.7/Teline IV site into your main directory. Update the configuration file to reflect the correct directory and it’s a GO!

I had a lot of help and encouragement from Joomlart tech support, from suggesting the demo site to helping me trouble shoot problems along the way.

Thanks so much to all!

PS Feel free to contact me with questions

TomC Moderator

WAY TO GO !!!

Will have to bookmark this thread for future reference.

😀

valdez79 Friend

JUpgrade is also a good option to migrate from 1.5 to 1.7.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  valdez79 12 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum