Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I want to remove the “Details” text that is prepended to author information on each article. How can this be accomplished? Thanks.

aman204 Friend

If you wish to refer to K2 articles, You can go to specific article item >> item view options and set author description to hide

ithacaindy Friend

<em>@aman204 217132 wrote:</em><blockquote>If you wish to refer to K2 articles…</blockquote>

I’m referring to Joomla articles. Instead of “Written by admin”, there is this long line, starting with “Description” that includes the user name, date, time, hits, etc. I want to get rid of the “Description” text.

aman204 Friend

<em>@ithacaindy 217164 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’m referring to Joomla articles. Instead of “Written by admin”, there is this long line, starting with “Description” that includes the user name, date, time, hits, etc. I want to get rid of the “Description” text.</blockquote>

You can set all these options to hide for specific menu item in parameters (component) ::

Mainly, relative text fields to be altered will be Created Date and Time, hits e.t.c

ithacaindy Friend

<em>@aman204 217233 wrote:</em><blockquote>You can set all these options to hide for specific menu item in parameters (component) ::</blockquote>

Yes, but the string “Details” also displays, now matter what I turn on or off. For example:

Details Created on Monday, 24 January 2011 11:59 Last Updated on Monday, 24 January 2011 13:57 Published on Monday, 24 January 2011 11:59 Written by username

I simply want username date and time.

aman204 Friend

<em>@ithacaindy 217244 wrote:</em><blockquote>Yes, but the string “Details” also displays, now matter what I turn on or off. For example:

Details Created on Monday, 24 January 2011 11:59 Last Updated on Monday, 24 January 2011 13:57 Published on Monday, 24 January 2011 11:59 Written by username

I simply want username date and time.</blockquote>

Can you provide a link to your site as it seems language string isnt updated

ithacaindy Friend

<em>@aman204 220986 wrote:</em><blockquote>Can you provide a link to your site as it seems language string isnt updated</blockquote>

This was solved by moving the t3 content folder to the teline_iv content folder. However, the problem remains that “Details” appears when the Category/blog format lists articles.

cgc0202 Friend

Ithaca Indy,

The good news is that you can remove those that you want not to show.

In each article edit page, and category or section edit page (in the magazine menu), you will find in this schematic diagram:

=> menus => magazine => select category => click to edit
    => to the right of the category edit page, find and click article options
    => select Hide (for all the options you do not want to appear) in the category page (under each headline).

The bad news is that you have to do it for every article, and in the magazine menu, you have to do this also for every category (and every section also for Joomla 1.5).

This is crazy, but that is how JOOMLA has configured it. And, unfortunately, the default is to show all of them. One site I am trying to prepare has several hundred of categories (nested), and several thousand files.

There is a less painful way to do it, if the parent and root categories have similar structures, but still a lot of work. And, you have to essentially discard alk the Demo categories (and subcategories) in the Teline IV.

Cornelio

<em>@ithacaindy 221081 wrote:</em><blockquote>This was solved by moving the t3 content folder to the teline_iv content folder. However, the problem remains that “Details” appears when the Category/blog format lists articles.</blockquote>

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@aman204 220986 wrote:</em><blockquote>Can you provide a link to your site as it seems language string isnt updated</blockquote>

Hi aman,

I hope I would not sound to be too rude, but the question asked is a generic question, and the issue raised by ithacyindy would be recognized by someone who has installed a Joomla/Joomlart page, in this case, it would be better if it is a Joomla 1.6-Teline IV.

Without looking at any URL, from what was stated by ithacaindy, I provided a more generic answer (in the prior response), with schematic diagram. The schematic diagram is very useful for most anyone who is just starting to understand the complex puzzle of the Joomla/Joomlart layout.

Having the URL alone won’t help, because the issue requires intimate knowledge of the layout (and what was really done in the Backend). From what Ithaca Indy stated, what she wanted to appear in a newspaper would be more like that you would see in professional online newspapers,very simple:

[

• B]Headline[/B]
    • Name of reporter (and date, a single date, sometimes not even added)

especially in the front or section page. In the full article, the revision date and time, would likely be included at the end of the article, or at least separate, from the first three lines.

If you are familiar with the Joomla 1.6 – Teline IV (in JA3 environment, can you please help us find, how to removed these superflous terms, in the byline:

[Quote] [borrowed from original post by ithacaindy]

1. Details — it is obvious that what are added are details, addition of the term “Details” is just wasting precious space, and reflects amateurism.
    2. Written username — I do not think a publisher would allow “any reporter” to have a name included in the byline, if the person is not involved in the writing, it would be plagiarism, otherwise.
    3. Created on — anyone who has been involved in writing would know that any article has been conceived and written, edited, etc., long before it ever gets published. The date included would most likely the first time it was approved and ready for publication.

</blockquote>

Thus, to echo ithacyindy’s point, all those details are not needed. This is enough:

• B]Headline[/B]
    • Name of reporter (and date, a single date, sometimes not even added)

I hope you or others in the staff could help us remove all those “details” that are not needed, as I emphasized in living color and bold in the previous list, above. I use to be able to find these details in Teline II script, but the Joomla 1.6-Teline IV scripts have been fragmented even more into so many subfiles, and distributed all over the place in directories and subdirectories.

I have difficulty finding them. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Cornelio

N.B., I already know how to add/hide dates, just the added details to each that I wanted to remove. I can opt to add any qualifier, if needed.

Created on Monday, 24 January 2011 11:59
    Last Updated on Monday, 24 January 2011 13:57
    Published on Monday, 24 January 2011 11:59

ithacaindy Friend

<em>@cgc0202 221114 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    The bad news is that you have to do it for every article, and in the magazine menu, you have to do this also for every category (and every section also for Joomla 1.5).

This is crazy, but that is how JOOMLA has configured it. And, unfortunately, the default is to show all of them. One site I am trying to prepare has several hundred of categories (nested), and several thousand files. </blockquote>

This is just another reason why I’ve reverted to Joomla 1.5 (no “Details” bugaboo) and why my news sites will likely be based on another CMS by year’s end if J!1.6 doesn’t show dramatic improvements in usability beyond just the surface.

friends1976 Friend

<em>@aman204 217233 wrote:</em><blockquote>You can set all these options to hide for specific menu item in parameters (component) ::

Mainly, relative text fields to be altered will be Created Date and Time, hits e.t.c</blockquote>

I appreciate the help. I have tried to turn the hits off with the menu component settings but it is not working. I have it set to hide and they are still there. HELP! 🙂

hainn Friend

<em>@ithacaindy 216828 wrote:</em><blockquote>I want to remove the “Details” text that is prepended to author information on each article. How can this be accomplished? Thanks.</blockquote>

Hi,

This string is the hard code string so we only remove it by clone
    pluginssystemjat3jat3base-themesdefaulthtmlcom_content
    to
    templates templatesja_teline_ivhtmlcom_content

after that comment all follow line in this folder (line consist of “COM_CONTENT_ARTICLE_INFO”)

<dt class="article-info-term"><?php echo JText::_('COM_CONTENT_ARTICLE_INFO'); ?></dt>

Regards,

hainn Friend

<em>@friends1976 222387 wrote:</em><blockquote>I appreciate the help. I have tried to turn the hits off with the menu component settings but it is not working. I have it set to hide and they are still there. HELP! :)</blockquote>

You need go to administrator -> Menus -> magazine -> select menu you need to hide hits -> select “Parameters (Component)” -> Change “Hits” select to “Hide”.

Regards

issay Friend

any temporary solution

nttaiwan Friend

Or in /language/en-GB/en-GB.com_content.ini

change COM_CONTENT_ARTICLE_INFO=”Details” to COM_CONTENT_ARTICLE_INFO=””

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  nttaiwan 11 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum