Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

In Joomla 1.5.x we have Sections and Categories only. Do somebody has experience of making sub-categories of Categories also or is there any way. One way perhaps would be to have a plugin / Module when installed will provide an option in every Article (while creating / editing it) and then assigning it to a sub-category. That Module then can be used on some page to display those Articles with option of particular sub-categories.

I have already searched extensions.joomla.org but not successful.

jooservices Friend

hi
    in joomla 1.5 you cant create sub categories with default joomla com content.
    in case needed you can try with k2 ( getk2.org )
    thank you
    viet vu

asifak Friend

You did not get my question. In Joomal 1.5, you can make Category of a Section only which is a two level structure, however, you cannot make sub-category of a Category, which would be three level system. I want three level solution or some alternate.

Section 1
    – Category 1
    – sub-Category 1
    – sub-Category 2
    – sub-Category 3
    – …….
    – Category 2
    – sub-Category 1
    – sub-Category 2
    – sub-Category 3
    – …….
    Section 2
    – Category 1
    – sub-Category 1
    – sub-Category 2
    – sub-Category 3
    – …….
    – Category 2
    – sub-Category 1
    – sub-Category 2
    – sub-Category 3
    – …….

jooservices Friend

Hi
    Yes, i think i’ve right understand w/ your question. Joomla Sections / Categories can’t make more than 2 levels. You can / need to use 3rd extensions like K2 to do that.
    Thank you
    Viet Vu

asifak Friend

What if I install component K2 on JA-Telline IIV2, will it work, will JA NEws2 work fine…

jooservices Friend

Hi
    As far now, JA Teline IV do not support K2. 🙁
    For multi ( or at least 2 level sub categories ) with Joomla Content default i don’t think we have much choice.
    But, Teline IV already supported J17. In J17 you can do that. So, should we go ? 🙂
    Thank you
    Viet Vu

asifak Friend

I find one “Multicategories Component for Joomla!1.5 ” developed by Milkman Development. here is the link
    http://milkdev.com/en/products/5-joomla15-components/1-multicategories-component-for-joomla15/page-5

Can you check this and give your opinion if this work with JA Telline IIIV2

n6rej Friend

<em>@asifak 267589 wrote:</em><blockquote>You did not get my question. In Joomal 1.5, you can make Category of a Section only which is a two level structure, however, you cannot make sub-category of a Category, which would be three level system. I want three level solution or some alternate.

Section 1
    – Category 1
    – sub-Category 1
    – sub-Category 2
    – sub-Category 3
    – …….
    – Category 2
    – sub-Category 1
    – sub-Category 2
    – sub-Category 3
    – …….
    Section 2
    – Category 1
    – sub-Category 1
    – sub-Category 2
    – sub-Category 3
    – …….
    – Category 2
    – sub-Category 1
    – sub-Category 2
    – sub-Category 3
    – …….</blockquote>

1.7 supports this natively

asifak Friend

I know it is supported by 1.7, however, I want to stick to 1.5.
    I will definitely shift to 1.7 but only after complete testing especially of additional heavy components I have already installed.

n6rej Friend

I’ve switched to 1.7 exclusively on all my new sites. I’d be interested in knowing what other “heavy” components you mean. A LOT has to do with the quality of your server.

jooservices Friend

Hi
    If you are planed to use JA Teline IV on Joomla 1.5. I’m afraid you can’t do as your expected :(.
    Sorry to say that
    Viet Vu

asifak Friend

<em>@n6rej 267664 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’ve switched to 1.7 exclusively on all my new sites. I’d be interested in knowing what other “heavy” components you mean. A LOT has to do with the quality of your server.</blockquote>

In my previous post, I had typing mistake. I am using JA Telline IIIV2 (not JA Telline IV).
    I have already 300 articles on my website which is on Joomla 1.5.22. If I shift to Joomla 1.7 then I have few questions:

1) will it be easier to transfer my 300 articles to Joomla 1.7
    2) What about other components like I am using Kunena forum, Sobi2, Easy Blog etc. I know it is out of subject of this forum but still would like to ask here.

My current website is working fine and stable now, so I am afraid to shift to Joomla 1.7 as it is newer, so I may expect some problems. Basically I am looking feature of sub-category or alternate way if possible. What added advantage I get from Joomla 1.7 ?? better security ..??

asifak Friend

<em>@asifak 267748 wrote:</em><blockquote>In my previous post, I had typing mistake. I am using JA Telline IIIV2 (not JA Telline IV).
    I have already 300 articles on my website which is on Joomla 1.5.22. If I shift to Joomla 1.7 then I have few questions:

2) What about other components like I am using Kunena forum, Sobi2, Easy Blog etc. I know it is out of subject of this forum but still would like to ask here.

My current website is working fine and stable now, so I am afraid to shift to Joomla 1.7 as it is newer, so I may expect some problems. Basically I am looking feature of sub-category or alternate way if possible. What added advantage I get from Joomla 1.7 ?? better security ..??</blockquote>

I read some where that extension / component ‘jUpgrade’ can be used to upgrade to Jommla 1.7. If I use this then how I will upgrade Template JA Telline IIIV2 to JA Telline III for J1.7 . I assume that
    first upgade Joomla to 1.7 with the existing template
    then uninstall template JA Telline IIIV2 and install new one for Joomla 1.7 ??

n6rej Friend

I’ve not done a migration yet. I don’t know how smooth it goes, yes, you can use jupgrade infact I think its the recommended path. you do need to however, upgrade your J! to 1.5.23 s .22 has a security vulernability. As for better security, yes 1.7 has far better then 1.5.
    And you get the ACL read about 1.7 and the various videos on the differences.

jooservices Friend

<em>@asifak 267748 wrote:</em><blockquote>In my previous post, I had typing mistake. I am using JA Telline IIIV2 (not JA Telline IV).

My current website is working fine and stable now, so I am afraid to shift to Joomla 1.7 as it is newer, so I may expect some problems. Basically I am looking feature of sub-category or alternate way if possible. What added advantage I get from Joomla 1.7 ?? better security ..??</blockquote>
    Hi
    If you don’t mind i can try to do that to help you
    ps:// You need to check Sobi2 / Easy Blog do they ready support 1.7 ? I’ve no idea about these.
    About Kunena , they are already 🙂
    Thank you
    Viet Vu

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

This topic contains 23 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  n6rej 12 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum