Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

This tutorial is a simple tech guide to help to the people that does not know much of ps and want to know how to modify and make a new variation of the logo of a template. for the explanation i use the fullsource of the jamesolite, but any of you can use the version you are working on.
    first of all we open the ps

nest you open the logo.gif located inside of the folder template/images in order to have a reference

then we must open the fullsource.psd file located inside of the folder of the fullsource template

then we locate the layers windows and put in blind mode all the groups except the one that says logo on it clicking on the leftmost litle box that have an eye on it

then we eliminate all the layers but the logo.
    and using the crop tool we must set the size of the image near of the desired dimensions but not strict in order that we can work with the logo

now we create another layer for use it as background and set in the bg order below the logo layer

now let’s select a proper color for the bg in the bottom of the main toolbar select the square that handles the colors and double click on the foreground color that is the square that is in front of the two. that action opens for us a big color selection menu, then we select a variation of blue color tu use it as bg color

ready then we select the paint bucket tool in the main toolbar and whith the bg layer active put the paint bucket over any blank area and make click on it and voila we have a blue bg for our logo

we then go to layers window and look the arrow that is at the left of the folder in the layer that says logo, that opens the logo group and shows all the layers included in it

we delete the layer that says footer menu because now we only want to edit the main logo

then we rasterize all the text layer unless we have install all the fonts that come by default with our full source. we rasterize layers selecting them, them in the upper menu select the layer option then rasterize then we select text and we are ready now we have alll the text layers rasterized, in that way we have not to worry that text be modified.

then we select a layer that has a blue square box at the left preview box that says green there are three of them the upper most is the want that we are looking for, the remaining two stay for the other two versions. we make double click on it and it shows effects panel editor
    and we select the option gradient superposition

that shows a gradient editor we make click over the bar that shows the actual gradient, that opens a windows that has to vertical arrows each one has a differente color one dark green the other is a lighter green we select each one and shows below many opcion but the one that shows the actual color is the one that is our target. we click on it and shows up a color selector menu similar at the one we use to select the bg color. whit this option we see a litle circle over the color pallete move it to right in the zone near of purple or magenta but trying to maintain the light level not uppering or lowering. then we click ok button we select the other arrow and we repeat the process but we going to obtain a lighter version of magenta or purple.
    then we click ok for to accept the gradiente modification, then we click ok to the gradient to be applied onto the active layer.

we click ok and we see the result of the editing

then we edit the text layer mesolite and with layer style set the color to white

finally make some tweeking in the mesolite layer to make it look more modern and set the lower layer text in black color. finally crop it to a best fitted size of 180×100

here the final result even it is rasterized finally in jpeg format can be easily converted to the gif format

maybe this can help somebody or give some ideas. if anybody wants take this logo and make tweeking to the mesolite template using this as a base.

upcoming tutorial how to make a good web logo to your web

John Wesley Brett Moderator

Great tutorial.
    Thanks for your time! This will no doubt help many others in the future.

John.

jwellman Friend

I agree! Great help for those who use Photo Shop! Thanks for taking time to put the tutorial together. Now I need to do one for those who use PSP. 😀 My sister and I fight over which program is better. Hers does have extra features but my program does just fine, thank you very much! (It’s a running joke in the office…her paint program versus mine). She taught me to use Fireworks too… it is much easier taking off backgrounds with Fireworks and Photo Shop versus Paint Shop Pro…I will give her that much. She keeps telling me if I started using Photo Shop I would never go back to PSP… but I’m old… old people do not like change. 😉

shertmann Friend

well many people say that old people never change but i have that not necesarily that must be true.

i prefer photoshop because is a standard. that was my point of view you must use a program that is standar because later is difficult when you send your works to other people. that happens my a lot in the past when work with coreldraw designers.

well enjoy this

ibrahimbdawy Friend

Thank you very much.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ibrahimbdawy 14 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum