Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi Guys.

Ok i started to build two sites with joomla. they were almost identical but I finished one first and now I want to copy the one I have finished to the domain of the one that is not finished. Then I can just make some minor adjustments and both sites will be done.

I know how to copy it across. And I know how to go into my hosting account and create a new mysql databse.

However, once I have done that I don’t know how to link that database to the second site. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Jim

swissa Friend

<em>@origomedia 319368 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi Guys.

Ok i started to build two sites with joomla. they were almost identical but I finished one first and now I want to copy the one I have finished to the domain of the one that is not finished. Then I can just make some minor adjustments and both sites will be done.

I know how to copy it across. And I know how to go into my hosting account and create a new mysql databse.

However, once I have done that I don’t know how to link that database to the second site. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Jim</blockquote>

Jim!

If you are using Akeeba to do the transfer using kickstart.php you just input the new database details during the “restore” and it will populate the new db automatically! 🙂

https://www.akeebabackup.com/documentation/akeeba-backup-documentation/a-typical-backup-restoration-workflow.html

https://www.akeebabackup.com/documentation/quick-start-guide/using-kickstart.html

Pay attention to this one for the new db!! https://www.akeebabackup.com/documentation/quick-start-guide/abi-db-restoration.html

James Weston Friend

Hi Swissa,

Sorry As both sites were hosted on the same hosting account I just copied the files from one folder into the other 🙂 So now I have the two sites on separate domains but they are both using the same database 🙁

Jim

swissa Friend

<em>@origomedia 319374 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi Swissa,

Sorry As both sites were hosted on the same hosting account I just copied the files from one folder into the other 🙂 So now I have the two sites on separate domains but they are both using the same database 🙁

Jim</blockquote>

No worries Jim. Just do an akeeba of the one you want, copy the archive file across to the new one at root, load kickstart.php there too and fire it up. Then on the db screen make sure you put in the new db details and heh presto, two sites using two databases! 🙂

That’s WHY I recommend akeeba to everyone. :p

EDIT: Sorry, Jim, forgot to add that the second root should be clear of all files EXCEPT the akeeba archive and kickstart.php. No config.php, no .html, no .htaccess etc. Clean but for those two files!

James Weston Friend

Hi Swissa,

Mate that sounds like the way to go. Only two silly things 🙂 Where to find the backup archive and the kickstart.php?

Jim

swissa Friend

<em>@origomedia 319380 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi Swissa,

Mate that sounds like the way to go. Only two silly things 🙂 Where to find the backup archive and the kickstart.php?

Jim</blockquote>

Hehehe! 😉

in root administrator/components/com_akeeba/backup and then the latest .jpa file. kickstart.php you can get here – https://www.akeebabackup.com/download/akeeba-kickstart.html

Good luck mate!

Before you start may be worth reading through the docs quickly. 😉

Akeeba Backup – User’s Guide :: A typical backup/restoration workflow

Good luck mate!

James Weston Friend

Hi Swissa,

That was unreal. Worked like a treat 🙂

You are a superstar.

Jim

swissa Friend

<em>@origomedia 319387 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi Swissa,

That was unreal. Worked like a treat 🙂

You are a superstar.

Jim</blockquote>

As always, Jim, you are very welcome! 🙂

I might come calling asking for your assistance soon with photography, seeing as you always have such good images, if that would be ok? Need to do some more prep work before though! 😉

Cheers!

James Weston Friend

No problem Swissa,

We have plenty of images that are our own and lots of others that we got from our clients so will give you whatever we can.

Just let me know what you are looking for and when.

BTW last week I got a message saying you had tried to PM me but my inbox was full.

Jim

donmovinginfo Friend

Joomla! is a popular open source content management system (CMS) written in the PHP programming language. It is available to DreamHost users as a One-Click Install. Joomla is a fork of the Mambo open source Content Management System;
    Install a new version of Joomla! Package if you can. The newest version is Joomla! 1.0.15 and this is the version I am using right now. To do that, I first downloaded Joomla_1.0.15-Stable-Full_Package to my laptop/PC. If you are using other Joomla! version, then you can search the Internet for it, download it to your laptop/PC, and then install it. The idea is to have a fresh installation so that everything is working properly.

I then unzip Joomla_1.0.15-Stable-Full_Package file that I’ve downloaded earlier and upload them to my root directory of my website server using FTP.
    Now in the new screen, you will be asked to enter Host name, Mysql user name, Mysql password, and Mysql database name. So now you have to log in to your host account and create a new database. Come back here, enter the required data, and click on Next. If you are not sure of how to create a new database, check out this video: Video tutorial for creating MySQL database and user in cPanel.

beata43 Friend

<em>@swissa 319376 wrote:</em><blockquote>No worries Jim. Just do an akeeba of the one you want, copy the archive file across to the new one at root, load kickstart.php there too and fire it up. Then on the db screen make sure you put in the new db details and heh presto, two sites using two databases! 🙂

That’s WHY I recommend akeeba to everyone. :p

EDIT: Sorry, Jim, forgot to add that the second root should be clear of all files EXCEPT the akeeba archive and kickstart.php. No config.php, no .html, no .htaccess etc. Clean but for those two files!</blockquote>

How was written here I have two identical websites one in root, another in subfolder on the same Mysql. The both are joomla 2.5. I did backup and placed in subfolder. If I try to upgrade a website in subfolder to joomla 3 and will not succeed in the same I will damage my website in root. I did my backup without Akeeba backup because I can’t find the version for J 2.5
    The main question: how to change mysql to the new in subfolder? I tried to change in configuration file, but I get errors.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  beata43 8 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum