Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Hi,

If you look at http://www.willowbrookfoodinnovation.co.uk/jm1 I would like to change the logo. In the template manager I have selected the logo but it still does not show on the site?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Andrew

TomC Moderator

What are you trying to change the logo to?

What does your logo look like and what are the dimensions (width/height)?

Have you uploaded your logo image to your images folder?

Please temporarily set your site to “Development Mode” and “Optimize CSS” to “No” within your Template Manager–General settings.

Andrew Carleton Friend

The image is uploaded into picture manager and it is 150px by 150px, it is a png file with no spaces in the file name.

I tried the development mode and turned off optimise css and it still has made no difference.

Thanks, Andrew

TomC Moderator

<em>@andrewbcs 401617 wrote:</em><blockquote>The image is uploaded into picture manager and it is 150px by 150px, it is a png file with no spaces in the file name.

I tried the development mode and turned off optimise css and it still has made no difference.

Thanks, Andrew</blockquote>

The reason I ask for you to set to Dev Mode and Optimize CSS=No is so I can look at the CSS code online.

I’ll take a look and get back to you.

Andrew Carleton Friend

I have the Development mode turned on now.

Thanks, Andrew.

TomC Moderator

I’m thinking the best way to go about this – if you don’t already have this file – would be to create a “custom.css” file and add the following CSS rule – specifying the path to where your logo image resides.

for example . . . .

open or create your custom.css file within the following path –> templates/ja_fibiz/css/custom.css

add the following CSS:

.logo-image a {
    background-image: url("../../templates/ja_fubix/images/yourlogo.png");
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    height: 17px;
    width: 70px;
    }

You will, of course, replace “yourlogo.png” with whatever your logo is named (and the file type), as well as adjust the height and width parameters for your logo image.

Depending on the size of your logo image, there may or may not be some additional modifications that need to be made – but we can tackle that after you see if you can successfully apply the suggestions above first.

TomC Moderator

Hi Andrew . . . Just following up to see if you were able to apply the suggestion above to adjust your logo.

tfosnom Friend

<em>@TomC 401752 wrote:</em><blockquote>I’m thinking the best way to go about this – if you don’t already have this file – would be to create a “custom.css” file and add the following CSS rule – specifying the path to where your logo image resides.

for example . . . .

open or create your custom.css file within the following path –> templates/ja_fibiz/css/custom.css

add the following CSS:

.logo-image a {
    background-image: url("../../templates/ja_fubix/images/yourlogo.png");
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    height: 17px;
    width: 70px;
    }

You will, of course, replace “yourlogo.png” with whatever your logo is named (and the file type), as well as adjust the height and width parameters for your logo image.

Depending on the size of your logo image, there may or may not be some additional modifications that need to be made – but we can tackle that after you see if you can successfully apply the suggestions above first.</blockquote>

Why do all that why not load teh logo via the template manager where it says Load image for logo, after all that’s its sole purpose. why should users have to continuously delve into css when the backend allows for this stuff?

Just my opinion

Ninja Lead Moderator

@tfosnom: Your way only changes to other logo and not change width and height to match with new logo. The best way on this case is changing from css file.

tfosnom Friend

While I understand that point, I think the height & width of the logo should be controlled from the admin backend?
    As a template, no one should have to edit a css file externally is my point. We buy these things to get a preformatted boilerplate. apart from replacing things like demo information logo and colours to suit. we should not have to even attempt to edit code.

TomC Moderator

<em>@tfosnom 402327 wrote:</em><blockquote>While I understand that point, I think the height & width of the logo should be controlled from the admin backend?
    As a template, no one should have to edit a css file externally is my point. We buy these things to get a preformatted boilerplate. apart from replacing things like demo information logo and colours to suit. we should not have to even attempt to edit code.</blockquote>

We will have to respectfully agree to disagree on this point . . . .

If one is to undertake creating, administrating and maintaining a website … then one should make some minimal effort to learn about – at least – how contemporary websites are styled/displayed via a basic understanding of how CSS works – just like anyone who drives a car should have a basic understanding of how to change a tire and/or check fluid levels.

tfosnom Friend

<em>@TomC 402376 wrote:</em><blockquote>We will have to respectfully agree to disagree on this point . . . .

If one is to undertake creating, administrating and maintaining a website … then one should make some minimal effort to learn about – at least – how contemporary websites are styled/displayed via a basic understanding of how CSS works – just like anyone who drives a car should have a basic understanding of how to change a tire and/or check fluid levels.</blockquote>

Respectfully,
    I understand and have the necessary knowledge to do so, however many ppl don’t know how to edit css using an editor or searching and replace, and as I point out we are buying a pre made fill in the blanks template. The more we have to “fork” around with opening EXTERNAL editors to get to the css, php files and making wholesale chages to achieve so many “simple” things the more time consuming and self defeating ( why buy a boilerplate template) it becomes.

At what point do we all leave JA and other template makers and say WTF we’ll may as well just create our own cause we’re spending hrs tracking code modifying 6 different files turning optimisation on/off locating declarations and line numbers using externals like fifebug etc.?

Regarding car maintenance skills as a comparision . . . That is something I def agree with but many teens here in Oz would say… That’s why I have a RACQ ( AA in US?) membership or make my dad etc check all that shit. so applying that philosophy to templates would say, I pay for support, we’ll get them to do it. job?

TomC Moderator

<em>@tfosnom 402491 wrote:</em><blockquote>Respectfully,
    I understand and have the necessary knowledge to do so, however many ppl don’t know how to edit css using an editor or searching and replace, and as I point out we are buying a pre made fill in the blanks template. </blockquote>

Sorry, have to disagree with you again here . . .

Yes, JoomlArt creates dynamic website Templates and Themes based on the Joomla CMS. However, these templates and themes are meant to be further customized and modified to become something unique for whatever idea, topic or purpose the individual user(s) want.

If everyone just used the exact same thing – i.e. “pre made fill in the blanks” – without any individualization/modification whatsoever …. what an incredibly boring experience the internet would be.

A template is a starting point . . . . what one does with it from that point is what makes the website special.

<em>@tfosnom 402491 wrote:</em><blockquote>Regarding car maintenance skills as a comparision . . . That is something I def agree with but many teens here in Oz would say… That’s why I have a RACQ ( AA in US?) membership or make my dad etc check all that shit. so applying that philosophy to templates would say, I pay for support, we’ll get them to do it. job?</blockquote>

Seems to me that those who think in such a way might gain some insight from a little something I wrote several years ago – which holds true today just as it did when originally posted . . . . . . .

THE THREE “P’s” – PATIENCE, PRACTICE and PERSEVERANCE

😎

tfosnom Friend

Hi Tom
    You always fall back on the “template is a starting point” & drag up that old post just like you have in a similar post in the Appolio forum.

While the guy there is a programmer who has years of experience, he states what I state, don’t want to spend ages customising, searching for css etc. it SHOULD be a case of replace what text, graphics and logos you want turn on/off modules you don’t need and get the site up and working asap.

all the mucking about to often correct bugs in the released (so called stable) versions, by adding quick patches, fixes and such should not be happening.

If there is a bug reported ja solves the problem , updates the template/QS or supplied extension to correct we dl overwrite it’s fixed. The end user should not have to touch the code to correct a bug.

How slack and cumbersome is it to have a dev say its a bug please open xyz file look for this code, please change this code save blah blah, we will fix proplerly in next (some future) release ?.

If I buy a new car and find it has no rear brakes due to a faulty software install, would you expect ford or GM to send me 2000 lines of code (email?) and say, we ackowledge the problem but will not be fixing it till our 10,000 klm service, for now please copy the attached code to a flash drive, insert in touch screen usb port 1, press left arrow up arrow and play on your cd to access the software upgrade feature. Please press upgrade when asked to. Have a nice day and enjoy our great product.

To suggest that if we only change the content, graphics & colours of the supplied JA QS it would be boring, same as, is perhaps true in a very minor sense, however, I firmly beleive content is king, no matter what the template layout, colours etc. So unless you are unlucky enough to find serveral JA templates doing the same product/service in the same country/area with the exact same amount of default modules enabled in the same positions etc. The real chances of seeing so many similar looking sites is rather remote.

In the many yrs I have used JA templates and others template makers I have seen about three templates relatively uncustomised (Layout) in the same category/sales areas. However, reading the content, seeing different graphics, logo, pricing, articles, information and such left me in no doubt they were all very different sites.

Hey discussion aside. I wish you the best for a safe happy family Christmas and success in 2014 with all your business ventures. Thanks for listening and responding in a valued contributing manner
    Shannon

Andrew Carleton Friend

Hi Tom,

Sorry about the delay in coming back to you but I was waiting for the client to come back to me.

I have tried the custom.css but it has still not made any difference.

It has moved now to http://www.willowbrookfoodinnovation.co.uk

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

This topic contains 22 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 10 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum