Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Step1: Log into your Joomla admin

Step2: In the top menu, hover over Extensions and then click Template Manager

Step3: Click the Templates tab

+ J2.5

+ J3.x

Step4: In the list of templates you see, find the template you want to edit and then click the Details and Files link next to it

+ J2.5

+ J3.x

Step5: Change template name

+ J2.5: In Copy Template tab input other template name and click Copy Template

+ J3.x: Click Copy button and input other template name and click Copy Template

You now know how to change a Joomla template!

ninedozen Friend

This tutorial is helpful, but the template manager settings like Theme, Logo, and Site name etc are lost in the copy. Is there any way around this other than going back through and copying over template settings?

Ninja Lead Moderator

@ninedozen: It only copies general default template and not copy config setting on the template. You need to re-config it after cloning.

xdesigner Friend

I wanna change the template name so it doesn’t show up in source code but following this guide I realize there is no “copy” button in template manager. I am using Ja Nex T3v3, what workaround would you suggest I should follow with “minimum” hassle to change my template’s name?

Thank you in advance.

Ninja Lead Moderator

@xdesigner: My solution above helps you change the template name in case you don’t want to use default template name. This action is supported by default joomla. If you don’t see copy button in template manager, you can try to use super admin to check with my workaround again.

If it still does not help, you can pm me URL of your site and super admin login. I will help you out.

Pankaj Sharma Moderator

Hi
    The Tutorial is very helpful . But there is line that is missed here , i think ..
    After copying the template , you can not update the template . Update will only for the default Joomlart template .
    So make sure before Doing These steps .

lflizmark Friend

Hi, about what Xdesigner says, he is completely right. We need to have the template name changed specially in the Code View of the website. If the name JA-Biz appears there, the method shown here is completely useless. You can also see that the folder name also appears. So, again, this method has not sense.

charles99 Friend

You should always change the template name before you install it in order to avoid the problems outlined above… One only need to edit two files and you will be able to update by the Joomlart Component or simply coping the new files to your website.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  charles99 9 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum