Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I’m trying to get News Ticker to work on my site with JA Ores template, but it won’t appear.

As far as I can see, it should go in a module position called hotnews.

But there is no “hotnews” module position at my site….

As shown here:

http://www.lastek.com.au/newsite2012/?tp=1

Can anyone please help me here? How do I get the “hotnews” module position to appear?

thanks

luna

TomC Moderator

Luna:

Firstly, where are you seeing a “hotnews” position within the link you provided?

Second, if you KNOW that there is supposed to be a “hotnews” position – though it is not appearing in the position list within the module you are trying to place – what you can try to do is manually type in “hotnews” into the position field. Often times this will “kick-start” the position into activating an appearing within the list . . . provided, of course, that it is an actual position and is included within the <position> list within our templateDetails.xml file.

lunarview22 Friend

Thanks Tom for your reply.

I will try to be more clear this time.

If I look at the module positions for JA Ores, I see a module position called “hotnews”.

And it shows up in the module positions list in my JA Ores template installed.

But it is not appearing on my webpage in my browser.

When I do a ?tp=1 query, as shown in my link, it is missing the hotnews module position…

when i compare it to the Quickstart JA Ores package version, the hotnews module is present.

But not in my installation of it. Comparing the html, it seems some divs are missing. But how? why? and how do i get them back.

The module I am trying to make work in this position, News Ticker, works fine with other templates and equivalent module positions.

Something seems wrong in the template but i cant see why this would be.

thanks for your help.

cheers

Luna

TomC Moderator

Okay, I’ve looked through the JA Ores files for both the J2.5 and J1.5 versions, and I cannot find where the “hotnews” module is identified within any particular layout/block file.

I even created a clone-demo of the site using Demo Builder … and the module is there, assigned to “hotnews” position …. but I’m still having difficulty understanding why it would not be functional within your template/site.

I’m going to roundtable this issue with some of my fellow Support Team Members and see what w can come up with.
    Hang tight . . . we’ll figure it out one way or the other.

TomC Moderator

Luna:

Was discussing your issue and we need to check some things out. Can you provide temporary access to your site administration – so we can take a look around and see if we can figure this issue out? You can send the info via private message.

Thanks

lunarview22 Friend

no problem. i’ve sent a pm. thanks for your help.

cheers
    luna

lunarview22 Friend

any progress here?

thanks,
    luna

lunarview22 Friend

I’d really appreciate it if we can close this issue out one way or the other…

pixelzombie Friend

Hi lunarview22,

the module didn’t show up because the block was missing in your Default layout of JA Ores. Like in the demo / quickinstall there’s a sligh difference in the layout. I’ve added:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <layout>
    <!--Extra css load for this layout-->
    <stylesheets>
    <file>css/layout.css</file>
    <file>css/template.css</file>
    <file>css/color.css</file>
    <file>css/usertools.css</file>
    <file>css/css3.css</file>
    </stylesheets>
    <blocks name="top" style="xhtml">
    <block name="hot-news">hotnews</block>
    <block name="header" type="header"></block>
    <block name="mainnav" type="mainnav"></block>
    <block name="cpanel" type="usertools/cpanel"></block>
    <block name="topsl" type="spotlight" totalwidth="100" special="left" specialwidth="25">user1,user2,user3,user4,user5</block>
    <block name="slideshow" type="modules">slideshow</block>
    </blocks>
    <blocks name="middle" colwidth="20">
    <block name="left1">left</block>
    <block name="right1">right</block>
    </blocks>
    <blocks name="bottom" style="xhtml">
    <block name="botsl" type="spotlight">user6,user7,user8,user9,user10</block>
    <block name="navhelper" type="navhelper"></block>
    <block name="footer" type="footer"></block>
    </blocks>
    </layout>

After that, you have to configure the module a little bit (check it and you’ll see).

Cheers

Frank

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  pixelzombie 12 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum