Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hello,

Can you please address the issue of the “Hot Topic” script image scaling — to multiple sizes.

Cropped and Resized (Smaller) Images using CPG & Flickr scripts

I have used other automated generation of resized images from the original — Coppermine PhotoGallery (CPG) and Flickr. In both cases, you can get decent multiple cropping from an original:

• 3600×2400
    • 1020×680
    • 600×400
    • 200×150

properly resized

• 150×150
    • 75×75

there is cropping but if the original large image is not a very busy (too many small features, e.g., people, plants, etc) — you can recognize the overall feature of the original image, even if you start with 3600×2400 .

I have done more than ten thousand, perhaps more, mass resizing of images since 2005 using (CPG), and a few thousand using Flickr with no problem,

Cropped & Resized (Smaller) Images using Joomlart Topic Module

Here’s the summsry of the problem:

I need the same image from each article to appear as specific smaller sizes depending on whether the article is showing on the front page or in inner pages, or part of the randomized sampling of contents.

• Front Page: Features (Hot Topic) : image 1 resize: 600×400
    • Recent Articles Randomized module: Hot Topic image 1 resize: 200 x 150
    • Archved articles (older) Randomized module: Hot Topic image 1 resize: 125 x 125
    • All article Pages : Hot Topic image 1 size (very large) : 1000 x 750

There are more permutations of the same image for each article, but the bottom line is that there will be as many as 5-6 cropped sizes — as the same articles progress from being categorized as part of the HoT Topic modules (showing a subset of randomized articles:

• HoT Topic module using articles from “featured section or category (e.g., 1 article showing randomly out of 20 featured articles: image size 600×400)
    • Hot Topic module using articles from multiple sections or categories (e.g., 9 articles showing randomly out of 100: image size 125×125 articles)
    • Hot Topic module using older articles from almost all sections or categories (e.g., 5 articles showing randomly out of 500 articles: 200×150)

[Notes: Thanks to Hainn (all the way back in 2007), already learned how to create Hot Topic modules showing a sampling (1-n) randomaized articles (and images), where each module may have an image size different from each of the other modules (see list above). The forum topics are mainly in the older Joomlart forum.]

In the older versions of the Hot Topic module, you can get a decent “cropping” from the original image to all the smaller sizes of the same image from the original, even if the automated “copped” images were from the larger or original image.

For some reason, around late Summer of Fall in 2009, Joomlart revised the Hot Topic module with three choices:

• Image Source
    • Image Resize
    • Image Crop

Joomlart Hot Topic Automated Image Resizing Algorithm

I tried all three choices, but if I start with a significantly larger image (e.g., the 600×400, or 1000×750), the image that will appear in the Hot Topic modules (125×125 or 200×150) would either be white image or “dark image” — whatever is in the top left of the larger source image.

Resizing algorithm: From the Top left to simultaneous irghtward and downward cropping until the desired crop image is created???

I posted this issue several times since last year, but no technical support ever responded even if they sent that automated note that they are looking into the ticket.

I even asked if the problem, I encountered is just not using the correct choice from the three choices:

• Image Source
    • Image Resize
    • Image Crop

I tried all the above choices, by manually deleting the automatically generated images placed in the temporary cache directory, cleared the cache of the browser, turned off computer to restart, etc. but the smaller automatically generated temp images are still “black” or “white” image corresponding to the top-(left-down) part of the original image.

Thanks.

Cornelio

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

May be you can avoid using Hot topic module and find the best available module from joomla extension directory? There must be better modules to do the work.

Arvind

cgc0202 Friend

It is not wise to throw the baby simply because it pooped. Just clean the baby, and it will be its adorable self again.

That is the most prudent approach, and it applies to the issue with the resizing and cropping of images used in the Hot Topic module.

<em>@drarvindc 198675 wrote:</em><blockquote>May be you can avoid using Hot topic module and find the best available module from joomla extension directory? There must be better modules to do the work.

Arvind</blockquote>

Hi Arvind,

The Hot Topic module is very versatile and I consider it the best among the modules provided by Joomlart. I use the image as a navigational tool and I can randomize the articles in each module. As important, I can have as many sections or categories included in the randomized articles — included in each module.

Images as a navigational tool is more enticing for visitor — that prompts them sometimes to visit an article that they might not otherwise consider.

Further, I can customize the modules that will show navigational presentation of articles from selected group or single sections or category that cannot be readily achieved with any of other modules of Joomlart.

I combine the Hot Topic module with a plugin from another company and I can have slideshows for each article, basically unlimited slideshows that has no comparison with the usual slideshows provided either by Joomlart or those I investigated in Joomla, awhile back. In combination with the simple plugin slideshow generator — there is no need to create temp images, and you can simply change the content of directory of the images, and it would change the slide show — no changing of scripts, and I can resize the size of the images showing in each page, with no need to generate cropped or resized temp images.

There are other many advantages, over other slideshows which I cannot go into here. That is why, I would be reluctant to simply discard the Hot Topic module, simply because the algorithm used for cropping/resizing images is messed up.

Using the Hot Topic module and Newsflash module

The Newsflash module is close to the versatility of the Hot Topic module; but there are features of the Newsflash module that is not as versatile and not as compact as the Hot Topic module. On the other hand, there are specific advantages in presentation possible with the Newsflash module that cannot be achieved with the Hot Topic module.

Thus, I use the Newsflash module extensively also in conjunction with the Hot Topic module to achieve variation in presentation, and use each module for specific purposes.

Using both of these — the Hot Topic module and Newsflash module — I can create a Home page and Sections/Categories pages that will always be more dynamic (less static content) — every time the same visitor comes back, the contents of the page viewed wlll not always be the same, from prior visits, even if there was no additional content added.

Thus, for all the above, I cannot abandon the Hot Topic module. As important, the prior Hot Topic module before its most recent revision last year, I believe, showed properly resized images. The prior Hot Topic module had its drawback, but at least, I was not getting.

The solution might actually be in the current Hot Topic module. More specifically, it may be hidden in making the correct among the following:

* Image Source
    * Image Resize
    * Image Crop

to specify the most appropriate resized or cropped image.

Arvind, can you please try one using a large image (e.g., 600×400) but the actual size of the image that should appear in the article included in Hot Topic module is 125×125.

If you reproduce the same “white” or “black”– equivalent to the image at the top-left — for the 125×125 then, that is the problem.

I tried it myself, trying each of the above choices. But, I cannot get the proper cropping achieved with the Coppermine PhotoGallery or Flickr algorithm for proper.

Phil, one of the moderators, is part of the Coppermine PhotoGallery (CPG) core team. Maybe he can share some insight with Joomlart staff on how the CPG algorithm works to achieve proper cropping/reszing. I use the CPG to mass edit my images to prepare the optimized large images, as well as some intermediate sizes.

Thanks.

Cornelio

Don Lee Friend

Hi Cornelio,
    Could you plz clarify your meaning/wishing in the most possible? I really would like to understand what you said but excuse me, I am quite not good at English 🙂
    Thanks,

scotty Friend

<em>@donglt 198795 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi Cornelio,
    Could you plz clarify your meaning/wishing in the most possible? I really would like to understand what you said but excuse me, I am quite not good at English 🙂
    Thanks,</blockquote>I speak English and I don’t understand it either :confused:

cgc0202 Friend

Thanks Dongit, Scotty and Arvind,

If you ever used the Teline II and the Hot Topic module in the earlier version (before 2009) as well as the latest version, the problem encountered and the terms may be more clear.

In any case, I created a Demo page (based on Teline II) just to show the problem encountered, as “Show and Tell”. It should be more clear and self explanatory, especially if you have used the Hot Topic module and Teline II (old and latest).

Demo page with mainly the Hot Topic modules

Also, I provided more guidelines and observations below to assist in understanding and analysis of the problem, in case showing an actual Demo page is not clear enough, and you have not had much experience with Teline II and the Hot Topic module.

Thanks.

Cornelio

Additional Info and Observations

I simplified the Demo page to show only the following modules:

Front Page module
    (left column):

• Original image size in article: (600×400)
    • Two image sizes (300×200) & (120×80)

Observation:
    Irrespective of the size of the cropped/resize image: (300×200) & (120×80), you can see the single bird showing in each photo. This means the photos are resizing/cropped properly, as specified in the Front page module.

Four (4) Hot Topic Modules

Click on the links just above to view PDF files of the three (3) Hot Topic modules.

Observations:

• No sign of the bird shows in any cropped/resized images in the three Hot Topic modules, even if the sizes of the images (see above) in all the Hot Topic modules are larger than those of the images shown in the Front Page.
    • The cropped/resized images (see above) that you see in all the Topic modules is the background of each image at the top left of each image.

Notes:

I showed the pdf files for the three (3) Hot Topic modules, please click to view how each Hot Topic module was configured. The main difference among the three Hot Topic modules in the Image Specification:

• “Source”
    • “Resize”
    • “Crop”

Important Notes:

• The older version of the Hot Topic module provided proper resizing/cropping of images from the original size, like the way it should be as shown in the Front Page module.
    • However, the scripts and specifications of the latest version of the Hot Topic included in the Teline II (modified sometime either in late 2008 or early 2009).

Guidelines:

I simplified the Demo page to show only the following modules:

• Front Page (main left column)
    • Three (3) Hot Topic module (see locations below)
    • Newsflash module (user 5 position)
    • “Latest” module (user 6 position)

To simplify what should be observed, all the images (as shown in the Front Page module) has only one bird in each photo, the rest is the “natural background”. Aside from the bird image in each, the rest of the image is the natural background.

Please pay attention to the “natural background” at the top left of each image. This is critical in understanding the problem (that is observed only in the latest version of Hot Topic, not in earlier version.

Other modules: The “Latest” module was included in case, you want to view all the demo “bird” articles, not shown in the Front Page. The “Newsflash” module had to be placed in User position 5, otherwise, the “Latest” module does not show.

Thanks.

Cornelio

N.B.
    I am Asian, English is not my native tongue.

rubantravels Friend

Thank you very much for the hot topic tip

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@donglt 198795 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi Cornelio,
    Thanks,</blockquote>

Hi donglt,

It has been more than a month since I posted this problem.

I addressed your request by illustrating the issue, in case there is any communication problem. I was hoping that Joomlart staff would attempt to solve it, instead of just getting snide remarks as answers in this forum.

After sending me an automated response email with ticket number that Joomlart will look into the issue, no one fromJoomlart ever wrote back. Last week, I got the first response from Joomlart — only to inform me that the ticket was Closed.

No word whether they ever even tried. No remark whether Joomlart even looked at the “illustrated explanation of the problem” posted in this forum.

Cornelio

: [0][FID:198529][General] – Hot Topic Mofule module image r
    Mon, 11/29/10 7KB

“This email concerns your recent ticket: [0][FID:198529][General] – Hot Topic Mofule module image resizing (cropping) (TTZ-197238)

This is to inform you that status of the ticket is now set to Closed, as we have not received any response from you in the last 72 hours and we assume that the issue has been resolved. … “

N.B.

The email ticket response was generated automatically because of this posting. I responded every time there is a response here.

tomly Friend

Please can you put it in other simpler words what you think our developers should do?
    It is very confusing and difficult to grasp what you want to make clear as it is very very longer than usual posts.

Here is what I suggest:

1. Describe exactly which module you are talking about, give us a link to that. I still don’t know anything about a module called Hot Topics.

2. Please provide a link or resource to what you understand by “Joomlart Hot Topic Automated Image Resizing Algorithm”

3. Desribe exactly the outcome you would like to see.

4. Give us a hint, what and where to compare the funtionality.

Your English is very strong with great formatting, but it’s overstraining our poor devs, so please give a shorter Action-Bullets sort of description and we will work on it.

Thanks

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@tomly 205954 wrote:</em><blockquote>Please can you put it in other simpler words what you think our developers should do?
    It is very confusing and difficult to grasp what you want to make clear as it is very very longer than usual posts.

Here is what I suggest:

1. Describe exactly which module you are talking about, give us a link to that. I still don’t know anything about a module called Hot Topics.

2. Please provide a link or resource to what you understand by “Joomlart Hot Topic Automated Image Resizing Algorithm”

3. Desribe exactly the outcome you would like to see.

4. Give us a hint, what and where to compare the funtionality.

Your English is very strong with great formatting, but it’s overstraining our poor devs, so please give a shorter Action-Bullets sort of description and we will work on it.

Thanks</blockquote>

Thanks for responding tomly.

Bullet points:

1. The original Hot Topic module, even if not perfect, was working well, i.e., resizing/cropping properly, at different sizes much smaller than the size of the original larger image.
    2. I believe sometime in 2008 or 2009, one Joomlart staff changed the original scripts of the Hot Topic, made it more complicated with more options (image from Source, Crop, Resize) to address several issues raised by members.
    3. In the revised Hot Topic module, if the original image is much larger than the specified size in the Hot Topic module, you no longer see a replica of the original image as you would normally should see in a properly resized or cropped smaller size image.

That’s the problem with the new Hot Topic module.

In one of my previous posts above, I created a special Demo website (see note below) specifically to demonstrate the problem:

Reading the explanation as provided in the Bird 3 demo article (see Front Page module) mostly as bullet points, as you prefer should be more easily grasped looking at the cropped/resized images in the four (4) Hot Topic modules vs the JA News FrontPage module and the three (3) JA News modules shown in the Demo website.

1. if you ever used the Hot Topic module more extensively, you would recognize the four (4) different Hot Topic modules in the site above.
    2. in each of the Hot Topic modules the size of the cropped/resize image is much smaller size than the original (600×400) size of the image.
    3. if you look closely, the much smaller resized cropped images shown in the Hot Topic module show only the portion of the “image” that appears on the top left portion of the larger image.
    4. Conclusion: the algorithm of the Hot Topic module does not do correct resizing compared with other existing algoritms used by almost all photogalleries I encountered and used, Coppermine Photogallery, Flickr, etc.

In contrast, even in the JA Teline II template or any other of the templates I used from Joomlart and other template makers, the JA News Front Page module, and the JA News module shows correct resizing/cropping no matter how much smaller they are with respect to the original image..

Apart from the JA News FrontPage module shown in the demo website above, there are three (3) different JA News modules in the linked shown above. All the smaller cropped/resized images are correct. The same images showing in the four (4) different Hot Topic modules. Compare the resized/cropped images between the JA News FrontPage and JA News modules vs the Hot Topic modules.

So, the problem lies with the script of the Hot Topic module itself. Or, there must be something else that I am not following completely.

Cornelio

N.B.
    I only included mainly images in all the four (4) different Hot Topic modules. Compare the resized/cropped images between the JA News FrontPage and JA News modules vs the Hot Topic modules. shown in the website:

All other modules were disabled.

tomly Friend

Thanks for the nice demo and it looks really good what you can do with it. Though, we need to understand which of OUR Extensions/Modules you are referring to.

We cannot do anything if you cannot give us a link to our extension in question. Because we cannot put our developers on coding others extensions. But we can well get them on improving our in-house extensions.

<blockquote>Here is what I suggest:

1. Describe exactly which module you are talking about, give us a link to that. I still don’t know anything about a module called Hot Topics.</blockquote>

Have a nice start in the new week my friend.

cgc0202 Friend

Thanks tomly,

The term “Hot Topic” module is used in a number of your templates, including Teline II, the template used in the Demo page. Joomlart refers to it as the “mod_jacatslwi” module. In case that is not enough, here is the directory path:

http://mydomain.org/public_html/modules/mod_jacatslwi/

modules => mod_jacatslwi

Except for randomization, also based from a response by one of your staff, as well as changing the css script:

http://mydomain.org/public_html/modules/mod_jacatslwi/ja_catslwi/
    http://mydomain.org/public_html/modules/mod_jacatslwi/ja_catslwi/ja.catslwi.css

no other changes was done to the ja_catslwi module.

One of your staff, hainn84 was the one who solved many of the issues regarding this module, about three years ago; the other one who knows a bit about the module goes by the username JA Developer.. I have not seen their names in the Forums for a long time, so I am not sure if they are still with Joomlart.

CGC

<em>@tomly 206767 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks for the nice demo and it looks really good what you can do with it. Though, we need to understand which of OUR Extensions/Modules you are referring to.

We cannot do anything if you cannot give us a link to our extension in question. Because we cannot put our developers on coding others extensions. But we can well get them on improving our in-house extensions.

Have a nice start in the new week my friend.</blockquote>

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  cgc0202 13 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum