Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author

i have Hostmonster for Hosting and GoDaddy for domain 😉

anisjolly Friend

Dreamhost.com?

I’ve been with them for a while and I’ve never had probs. Again has all the usual bumph – unlimited this, unlimited that and more.

Though I did find it rather challenging installing ioncube. That’s one thing i’d consider when choosing a host – whether they allow you to install third party extensions like ioncube.

questbg Friend

I use hostcolor.com and have no complaints. They have online 24 hour service and are really helpful (they installed ionCube for me and also do all the joomla, PHP upgrades, etc.). Worth a look.

markb1439 Friend

No need to pay that much for an SSL. Many providers have them for a fraction of that. You can sign up as a reseller for various programs and pay something like $12-$14 for the most basic SSL (which is fine for most people). Look at two of the biggest domain name providers’ reseller programs to get this.

SP Media Friend

That sounds pretty interesting, I’ve just started looking into it, and the best standard ones i’ve found hover around the $250 mark at entry level.

wooohanetworks Friend

It’s here all about need and show off… Do you do own Credit Card Processing, you need a 250€ certificate just to provide confidence to the customer. Do you do that, you also need further implementations most countries require on the technical side to avoid that data fraud can be commited or the whole deal is illegal in most countries and you could lose business license whatever etc..

Do you use PayPal or whatever solution that redirects the user on their high security site, you need either no SSL, or when IPN you can go with the 10€ one. It secures your user area and provides all you need. Or you want to show off and display a logo of the most expensive Thawthe or Verisign Certificate on your site…

SP Media Friend

Be aware though, in most scenarios, you will need to use SSL when handling customer/client specific confidential data, in which case you will have to have the necessary means of data encryption. Not all uses require it but when you do need to store data like that, obviously you can’t rely on another website to “lift” their SSL certification.

wooohanetworks Friend

Any data that does not include any bank account or credit card information is with no value to the fraudsters. One can easier use a telephone book to get phonenumbers or adresses with fitting names. I wonder why people even want to ask for this information when there are numerous service providers that offer any type of payment on their secure sites. It is without use to do that on ones own in a shop… Those people shall pay their fortune for SSL as they do not want to learn. As long you do not talk with a sales rep or a person who is lead by them you will get exactly that information. It is a big hype about that stuff and lots of persons make a big bash out of their missing knowledge. As a normal shop, the ones with few clients and paypal you need no SSL at all. Especially the ones who do downloads with low frequencies, they do not ask for personal information when they are real knowledgable. PayPal stores the persons information and when there is fraud by a customer PayPal is the one to follow that, not the shop via some personal information in the shop that is in those cases even fake. When you have like a still normal top shop with some quality inventory and clients you surely provide a SSL from around 40€, 128bit mid assurance, you store no banking information, no credit card information, you use paypal etc.. you would do not better with a more expensive one. It is always the smartest decision to let payment do by thrid party providers. In cases of frauds against your customers, they handle it, it is their responsibility. Also are those cases, when happening, confidential, the providers will never mention anything about what shop the fraud was commited. You are always on the secure site to not offer own services and to not store any information like credit card or banking information. Do you still do that, e.g. you offer direct debit, store the info on your site, have an expensive SSL, the people come to you and you are responsible. That is the main issue about it…

Image also can be something, but that doesn’t make the majority of sales in the usual cases. Unless you do not always listen to the numbers that mostly are faked statistics by the sellers or SSL Providers and no one could ever verify, you handle those cases with a sense of knowledge, that is all I can say.

sfpkent Friend

Hi,

After I read all posts here, I realised something that, we talk about SSL issue from web designers and technical point of view.

I believe that we should discuss it from point of consumer. We should know consumer behaviour.

We as web designers, we know that if we redirect our payment to paypal, we don’t need SSL, but not all consumers know about that. I have a lot of friends shop online, what they told me is:

“If you want me to shop online, the first thing I look at is the URL, either with or withour SSL. If a website with SSL, they have more confident with the website regardless they collect the payment on their website or redirect to paypal or the website only have few items. if the websites don’t have SSL, they have less confident to buy anything. Unless the website is well known website”.

The first question we should ask is – Why we should install SSL? We install SSL for ourselves or for our customers?” The online fraud cases are increasing, the IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center) has a great report about online fraud cases, you may visit:

http://daimingjewelry.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=89
    http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

If internet crimes are increasing, which mean people have less confidence to shop online. If people have less confidence to shop online, then security is a must to comfort them.

This is what I always tell my clients – Website is not only a website, website is a company, you are managing a company, managing sales, managing consumer behaviour, managing marketing, managing consumer confidents.

Anyway, good luck to your all. God bless!
    Kent

hanifahmed Friend

I’ve found a bunch of hosts who came recommended from Joomla.
    None offer unlimited space or bandwidth – so in a way are good as they do not advertise something they can’t provide.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: I am not personally recommending these. These came recommended from other users from the official Joomla! Forum.

SP Media Friend

Mediatemple, webintellects, 1and1, they’re all good.

wooohanetworks Friend

Okay, I do not know how many people have recently purchased a template via TemplateMonster.com. The case is, they offer some rebates and free goodies to the templates. Some are free icons from there and some other free stuff, and why not use those at all.

But the case is they also offer some free hosting plan from a host called Globat.com.

This plan is (was, maybe changed to unlimited already, I do not know) a Terabyte plan and is free for one year as the incentive via TemplateMonster.com. The problem is that this host is truly unreliable. The support team is highly unskilled and when you look for reviews for that host, you will see that there is a better way and that way is not to use this one year free hosting including one domain free with this host.

Initially it sounds good but you may experience so many problems with your account that you may simply give up, let it be, let the domain expire without using the plan. The FTP upload does not work out properly, the internal command console they offer and it’s internal FTP Program neither. So to upload a site to your free plan is not possible. The internal installers for Joomla, Mambo etc. do not work out properly.

After some time you will receive emails from them that your account will be automatically upgraded with some backup program you really do not need, to the price of around 50$. Now when you did not receive this email or did not opt out of the upgrade manually, you get automatically charged. Also when you opt out via the link in the email, you will receive some next email soon, again with the same procedure. From how this backup is advertised, you will see that it is really useless and not a useful offer. They will also send you further offers for another free one year hosting plan on top of the one you already have. This follow up you will receive every month and somehow you may not want to add the sender to the block list as you want to receive the numerous automatic upgrade notifications you definitely want to opt out of immediately.

Plus, they say it is totally free but you will see a charge of 1$ on your credit card.

To sum it up, I would recommend never to use Globat.com as a host, for the mentioned good reasons.

reachthesky Friend

what I can tell you is to stay away from hostings like 1and1.com they don’t guarantee a 99.9% uptime among other problems being reported.

anisjolly Friend

<em>@reachthesky 109584 wrote:</em><blockquote>what I can tell you is to stay away from hostings like 1and1.com they don’t guarantee a 99.9% uptime among other problems being reported.</blockquote>

I agree and their technical knowledge is abismal (rubbish). If you ring them up with a problem, they’ll either redirect you to their website or read the answer from the website. If you explain a more technical issue – you’ll get nowhere – they’ll just send you to their website!

reachthesky Friend

<em>@anisjolly 109634 wrote:</em><blockquote>I agree and their technical knowledge is abismal (rubbish). If you ring them up with a problem, they’ll either redirect you to their website or read the answer from the website. If you explain a more technical issue – you’ll get nowhere – they’ll just send you to their website!</blockquote>

Oh that too. you can’t get an answer that feels real. when they don’t refer you to their FAQ, they just copy and paste the answer from there.

They sell domains very cheap (2.99 or 6$) sometimes, but if you read the fine print, you realize that if you don’t host with them they will charge some money for internal charges until you actually complete paying two years of hosting, then you can take a domain and transfer it. More over, their DNS settings is not as reliable as godaddy or hostgator or any other big and known company 😎

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

This topic contains 46 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  iraqtech 11 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum