Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I have been trying to set up a server on my local network as a ‘staging server’ for website. Get it all working locally, then later upload it to a web based host.

However, I encountered the ‘blank page’ syndrome a couple of times when installing templates using Quickstart.

After much investigation I discovered my local server was a few modules short of a full build for running Joomlart Joomla templates.

I had to manually install the PHP curl.

This worked for some templates, but not all.

I later found out I also needed PHP GD library.

Stumbling across hosting problems, diagnosing and fixing them is not a particularly efficient use of time. I’d like to be able to set up a local host that can run any Joomlart template.

So my question is this:

What is a full list of dependencies that are required to run Joomlart templates on a host?

How can I test whether they are present and correct on a host?

Manos Moderator

Hi filmstar,

Can you give me more info about the environment you are trying to setup this? If you are on Windows for instance you can install xampp or wamp and it will be just fine!

Regards

Manos

filmstar Friend

I was using Virtualbox on a laptop on my local network and I created Virtual Machines by deploying images from Turnkey, which are based on Ubuntu. I used the LAMP stack image and then installed Joomlart templates using Quickstart. This gives me a nice VM running on my machine, with its own IP address and operating system. It also makes it easy to test from other machines on my local network.

I was kind of hoping Quickstart would have bundled everything that would be needed, but it appears there are somethings like curl and gd which fall between the gap between what the LAMP stack provides and Quickstart includes.

I know I could use Xamp or Wamp but using VMs is a much closer approximation of the eventual production hosting environment. I am very keen to avoid the hosting issues that seem to be the source of many problems when using these attractive templates.

Now if there were some documentation out there that provides a nice table listing the templates and what they need from a hosting platform, that would be a great help. Otherwise it is trial and error until I build an image that works with all of the templates all of the time.

TomC Moderator

Do you have a current webhost you are set up with?

Also, which templates are you attempting to upload/install?

filmstar Friend

I have a dedicated server with siteground for production, but that is not the issue. I need a local server that i can use for staging. My internet access is not reliable so I need to work off net. The idea is develop a website locally and then upload to a web based production server when it is ready.

I have been trying different templates and came across the blank screen problem after installing quickstart. I worked out that PHP curl was requited. Some work fine such as JA Portfolio. Others, JA Travel, for example again gave a blank screen. I discovered it requires the PHP gd library to be installed.

I am wondering how many more dependencies there are waiting for me to discover and fix by trial and error. I’m using the Turnkey Ubuntu LAMP stack, which seems to have a few things missing.

Manos Moderator

I think that you will be fine with those 2 ( gd and curl )

In my production localhost server i also have gzip enabled to test page load and speed before i upload it to live server.

Regards

Manos

fixyourtech Friend

These two php modules requirements should be listed in the install guide (PHP curl & PHP GD library).
    Would save people a lot of trouble.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  fixyourtech 12 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum