Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Is it possible to hide featured articles in a menu? I have my home menu item setup so that it will list all of the articles from a category, but I just don’t want the featured articles to appear in the home menu item. The reason being that the featured articles already appear in the JA Featured module on the front page, so I’ll end up with featured articles being listed in two places on the front page, they appear in the JA Featured module and in the main content block. It would be better if the featured articles only appeared in the JA Featured module, but not in the main content block. Is something like this possible? I noticed that the JA News Pro module has a feature that allows you to hide featured articles, so maybe there’s a way to implement this in the main content block as well. You can see an example on the front page of the site that I’m building. There’s a “TESTFEAT” featured article in the JA Featured module and in the main content block as well.

jakubd Friend

Would anyone be able to lead me in the right direction with this?

Phill Moderator

Not quitte sure what you mean. Do you not want the featured articles to appear on the front page? If so you can disable that part from appearing.

jakubd Friend

I do want them to appear on the front page, but I want them to appear in the JA Featured module only. I just don’t want them to appear in the category blog that I have on the front page because then I’ll have the featured articles appearing twice, once in the JA Featured module and once in the category blog. You can take a look at the site if it helps, I have the credentials saved in this thread. There’s a “TESTFEAT” featured article in the JA Featured module and it also appears in the main content block/ category blog as well. The JA News Pro module lets you hide featured articles, so there must be a way to do it.

Phill Moderator

We can remove the category blog part or we could change the menu type of the frontpage from featured blog to category blog.

jakubd Friend

I have to keep the category blog because that’s where all the non-featured news is posted, except that right now it’s also posting featured news. I think that the front page is already set as a category blog and not a featured blog. It’s showing featured and non-featured articles, but I only need it to show non-featured articles.

Phill Moderator

It will only show what is in the category you set. Sorry, there is no way to strip that out. It is a core Joomla feature.

jakubd Friend

But you guys did it somehow here, there’s an option to hide featured articles:

1. Screen-shot
    Phill Moderator

That is a setting for the JA News module, not for the category blog which it appears you are using. You could use that module instead of the blog layout,

jakubd Friend

I dislike the layouts that that module uses. Do you know of any Joomla extensions that would allow me to create a similar module without the custom layouts? I just want the articles to appear in one column, like a normal blog. I just don’t like that the articles are all split up into category groups in that module.

Phill Moderator

There are none that I am aware of. Maybe someone else here does.

jakubd Friend

I finally found a module that sort of does what I want it to. It lists all articles on the website except for featured ones, but the problem now is that when I publish the module in position “ja-news-1”, the background overlaps it, but I want the module to overlap the background and be white. I have a screen shot to show you what’s happening. I want the background to be white, not striped:

Any ideas?

1. sdq
    Phill Moderator

Looking at your site you seem to have a white background now. Have you solved it?

jakubd Friend

Phill, thank you for taking a look. I ended up creating an article in my home menu and putting a blogging module into it, which allowed me to have a white background.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jakubd 12 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum