Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I’m new to Joomla, but have been reading up on it and doing tutorials. What got my attention in the first place was JA Teline II. Perhaps not the easiest template to start with, but still, I’d like to try.

My problem is I think it would be helpful to start with the Quickstart version, which I am trying to upload and install (using Extensions>Install/Uninstall), but it keeps timing out and failing. (I have been successful in uploading the actual template, but I could use the help of the Quickstart version.) I’ve tried watching the “upload Quickstart” tutorial that is on this site, but the audio drops out about 10-15 seconds in. I’ve actually watched it in silence hoping to get a clue. No luck.

Short version: Can anybody tell me how to upload the quickstart to my hosted website?

unixboymd Friend

You upload the quickstart by doing the following:

1. Unzip the file locally on your computer.
    2. Use your FTP program to upload the quickstart files to your server / hosting provider and the directory of your choice.
    3. Install like any other Joomla! installation – making sure you install the SAMPLE DATA. The Sample Data is where the demo content comes in.
    4. Once installed, rename or delete the installation directory.
    5. QuickStart installation is finished – go to your site.

dagle Friend

I appreciate that. I did steps 1 & 2. I’m a little fuzzy on step 3. When you say install, what I’m trying to do is use the Extensions>Install/Uninstall feature in Joomla!, but when I enter the directory in my hosting provider of where I’ve copied the files, it gives me an error message and tells me to “please enter a package directory.”

I get the sense that I’m supposed to not just enter a directory name, but an actual file name. I see some files called install.php and a directory called installation, but I keep trying to type these in and keep getting the same error message.

Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong or which of the many files in my unpacked files I should try?

Many thanks,

Dennis

kallan Friend

The quickstart includes joomla itself – so to use a quickstart you can’t use the extensions>install/uninstall feature.

So if you already have Joomla installed you need to download the template file for that version (NOT the quickstart) and then install this using the extensions>install/uninstall feature.

Let me know how you get on.

Rgds,
    Kiwidesign

dagle Friend

Maybe that’s what’s hanging me up. I do already have joomla itself installed, and I had previously installed the template (non-quickstart version). But what I haven’t been able to figure out is how to install the quickstart.

Sorry to be so dense about this. Just seems like there ought to be a way to get the data from the quickstart installed into the template. What am I missing?

Sherlock Friend

Hi.
    You only have database like demo if when you install quickstart, you choose install sample data.
    I think you should install quickstart as Unixbuymd said

kallan Friend

Like I said you can’t install the quickstart if you already have Joomla installed. You need to run the install of joomla from the quickstart package – during the install you need to install the sample data.

Kiwidesign

dagle Friend

[Lightbulb on!] Took me long enough, but thanks to all of you, I finally realized that I was thinking I was just needing to install the quickstart, when in fact I needed to install joomla from within the quickstart. When I did, lo and behold, there was the quickstart template all filled out.

Many thanks to all of you for your patience in replying.

Dennis

P.S. Being new here, how do you officially say “thanks” to everyone who helped?

kallan Friend

Glad you got it going.

To say thanks you click on the Thank you button shown at the bottom of the message.

Cheers
    K

unixboymd Friend

Glad you got it all worked out. 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  unixboymd 16 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum