Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi all,
    I’m finding that the heading text is too compact, with adjacent words nearly overlapping. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Thanks,
    m

jay973 Friend

Could you post a link to your site so we can see the problem and help you fix it.

Cheers,

J.

mlewis09 Friend

http://www.cystinuria.org/cmsdev
    I’m just starting with customization, so not much has changed.
    Across multiple browsers, it seems that all heading text is too crunched together. I have tried setting word spacing in the css (template.css) but no luck. 🙁
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    m

mlewis09 Friend

It seems the problem is exacerbated when “Cufon” is turned on under the Template settings. I like the “Cufon” fonts, but not the spacing. Perhaps this is why my attempts at setting spacing in the css files were not taking – it seems they were being overridden by cufon settings? Sorry, i’m new to the concept. Is there a separate CSS file that controls the cufon settings?

Edit:
    Yes, ok, i have verified that with cufon off, the word-spacing CSS property in templatesja_halitecsstemplate.css does in fact do what i thought it should be doing (spacing the words out better). The cufon setting *is* overriding this CSS style. However, as i said above, i do like the cufon font. Therefore, i guess my real question would be how does one massage the cufon output. I see a Cufon directory, and i see CSS’s under that, but i’m not having any luck in spacing the heading words out more.
    thanks!!!

Edit2: I think this will help with my question… http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/how-to-install-cufon-dtr-and-configure/
    Still, if anyone has the easy answer, i’d greatly appreciate some direction!!
    Thanks so much,
    m

mlewis09 Friend

Whew – finally figured this out. I’m not sure why this hasn’t been a common issue, as the provided cufon font puts words almost as close as characters within a word. If anyone can answer this, i’m still interested.
    But i digress – the problem is that the version of cufon that comes with the template download is v1.03, and the word-spacing: attribute was not supported until v1.04. So i replaced the existing copy of quickstartqs_j1514_ja_halitetemplatesja_halitelibscufonjscufon-yui.js with the most recent version (found here: http://cufon.shoqolate.com/js/cufon-yui.js). Now my attempts to set word-spacing in the template.css file are working. Hooray!
    m

railer Friend

Hi,

When I replaced my old cufon-yui.js file with the new one recommended in this thread, the all caps heading styles dissappeared and turned into upper and lowercase arial/helvetica. How do I get them back?

Thanks,
    railer

mlewis09 Friend

It sounds like the cufon was somehow disabled when you updated the javascript. Check to make sure it is enabled in the template settings, and make sure the new .js file is identical to the old one (same name, in same directory, etc.) but contains all of the code found here: http://cufon.shoqolate.com/js/cufon-yui.js
    m

edit: to enable cufon, go to the admin page, Extensions –> Manager –> JA Halite –> and then select “Yes” to “Enable Cufon?” under “Cufon” under “Parameters”.

amsolutions Friend

<em>@mlewis09 158942 wrote:</em><blockquote> So i replaced the existing copy of quickstartqs_j1514_ja_halitetemplatesja_halitelibscufonjscufon-yui.js with the most recent version (found here: http://cufon.shoqolate.com/js/cufon-yui.js). Now my attempts to set word-spacing in the template.css file are working. Hooray!
    m</blockquote>

Where abouts in the template.css file? I’ve spent so much time looking through all the css files to fix this problem that my brain has dribbled out my ears and I don’t know where anything is anymore :laugh:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

spider2009 Friend

The file name is templates/ja_halite/css/template.css. I’ve changed the template.css from:

h1 { font-size: 200%; }
    h2 { font-size: 175%; }
    h3 { font-size: 150%; }

To:

h1 { font-size: 200%; word-spacing:2px; }
    h2 { font-size: 175%; word-spacing:3px; }
    h3 { font-size: 150%; word-spacing:4px; }

Optionally you can add other styles to be replaced with cufon. For example, I’ve modified the file templates/ja_halite/layouts/blocks/head.php as follows:

Cufon.replace(
    '.ja-slide-desc .title, h1.componentheading, .blog .componentheading, .blog .contentheading, div.moduletable h3, div.moduletable_default h3, div.moduletable_menu h3, div.moduletable_text h3, div.moduletable_hilite h3,
    { fontFamily: 'Bebas' }
    );

To:

Cufon.replace(
    '.ja-slide-desc .title, h1.componentheading, .blog .componentheading, .blog .contentheading, div.moduletable h3, div.moduletable_default h3, div.moduletable_menu h3, div.moduletable_text h3, div.moduletable_hilite h3, h2.contentheading, h3.cf_text',
    { fontFamily: 'Bebas' }
    );

as you can see I’ve added “h2.contentheading, h3.cf_text” to the existing code.

railer Friend

<em>@mlewis09 160195 wrote:</em><blockquote>It sounds like the cufon was somehow disabled when you updated the javascript. Check to make sure it is enabled in the template settings, and make sure the new .js file is identical to the old one (same name, in same directory, etc.) but contains all of the code found here: http://cufon.shoqolate.com/js/cufon-yui.js
    m

edit: to enable cufon, go to the admin page, Extensions –> Manager –> JA Halite –> and then select “Yes” to “Enable Cufon?” under “Cufon” under “Parameters”.</blockquote>

Hi m,

Been busy and haven’t had a chance to resolve this until now.
    When I clicked the link to get the js code it displayed as text in the browser window. Turns out that when I clicked Command + A (select all on Mac) it didn’t actually select everything. So the file I uploaded was incomplete, so the cufon replace on the page didn’t work. Everything now works after uploading the complete cufon-yui.js file.

One observation was that in the JA Halite template, in heading in the slide show are <h3> heads and so are the three smaller heads below it (numbered 1, 2, and 3). I implemented the css word-spacing attributes that spider recommended. But the setting for <h3> is either too much spacing for the smaller heads, or too little for the larger slideshow heading. Why are these set tot he same <h3> selector? Makes no sense.

Thanks,
    Railer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  railer 13 years, 12 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum