Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I have having a rather big issue with graphical anomalies on the Chrome browser (current 59.0.3071.115 and beta and canary versions) and T3 Megamenu, specifically with hovering. The background of the menu is made transparent to what is behind it in the header area and is in non-logical "shapes".

It’s very hard to describe what I’m seeing, but it is ONLY in the megamenu, it is only in Chrome, and it is only with hardware acceleration turned ON in Chrome, which is unfortunately the default setting.

As a website developer using our website to sell our services, it is really difficult when a problem as ugly as this happens on one of the most common browsers with a setting that is the default for that browser. While I think it is likely that it is a Chrome problem related to hardware acceleration, since it only seems to be happening on the mega menu, I’d like to know if there is anything that can be done to make this not an issue.

To show what it is actually doing, I’ve created a video screen cast, which you can see here:

https://www.screencast.com/t/QBHljOGwndS2

I’d love some feedback from the community or even better, the developers on what to do about this.

Scott Lavelle - Technical Resource Solutions, LLC
    Certified Joomla Administrator

Saguaros Moderator

Hi Scott,

It’s weird as it looks good at my end: https://cl.ly/1O0x0Y1s452u

Regards

Scott Lavelle Friend

That’s part of the oddity. I have tried on 4 different systems with 5 video cards and there was only two – an Intel 4600, and my surface book whem set to use the keyboard base nvidia – that did not show the problem. So more than half of just regular systems have the issue… it’s not just one and it’s on systems with very common cards, like the Intel hd530 or 520, both commmon on modern i5 chipsets.

It’s also inconsistent, sometimes showing up constantly and other to med having to be coaxed onto doing it.

Do you have another system you can test on?

Saguaros Moderator

I tried in my Mac, several windows, and also PC but without issue. Could you test in another PC?

Scott Lavelle Friend

I have tried it on 2 surfacebooks, where the main video, an intel520 has the issue and the discrete nvidia does not. I tried on a self built i5 based system with an Intel 530 where the is a problem, a dell system with Intel 4500, where there is not a problem, and an hp envy with nvidia grap tics where the is a problem. It is very inconsistent across video cards but fails on very standard ones and as i said, only in chrome and only with hw acceleration on.

Not sure what else to do here. It’s not unusual and it’s not my imagination.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by  Scott Lavelle.

Saguaros Moderator

It’s hard to detect the issue as I can’t reproduce the issue when viewing your site in my PCs or my colleagues. It seems happen on your PC specific.

Scott Lavelle Friend

Is anyone else over there (or community) able to help on this?

I have tried the same thing again on multiple additional computers and it’s about 50/50 shot as to whether the system will have the issue with Chrome and hardware acceleration enabled.

I have also loaded a site built on an older version of the ET34 Framework on the same computers wqhere there are problems with my site and they do NOT have the same problem on the older framework version, so it tells me that something changed on the framework side that is causing this issue.

Begging for help here because I know that this is going to bite me on a site I’m building for a client. At the moment, the only place I’ve seen it is on my own company NEW website that is not yet live. I’m sure it will show up elsewhere and if my own site is displaying the problem after it goes live, I’m certain that there will be customers who will think I don’t know what I’m doing.

Saguaros Moderator

Hi Scott,

I ask my colleague to check this site for you but all work fine (as my record video above). Any of your clients report the same issue? It’s really hard to help without seeing the issue.

Scott Lavelle Friend

I have tried it on two additional workstations (each completely different from the one from which I posted the video screen cast) and it exhibits the exact same issue on both of them. So now I’m up to about 6 or 7 systems where it shows on 4 of them as "broken". I don’t know how to tell you to locate a computer where it displays this issue. It is NOT just on MY computer. It’s on multiple computers of various makes/models with multiple different video cards on multiple different computer networks. And all of these systems are pretty common ones – nothing outlandish, nothing with a "low quality" video card in it. These are off-the-shelf systems with Intel built-in video.

I wish I could say it happens on EVERY system with every card, but it simply doesn’t. But it happens on more than half of the systems I’ve tried it on. I don’t understand how you still haven’t even seen it happen once.

Even if I could supply video (taken with my phone, for example) of me going from system to system recording the video issue, I don’t understand how this could help you troubleshoot it or even reproduce it. All I can say is that if you use a current Surface model laptop or any current generation i5 chipset with the built in graphics chips, you should see it happen the same way I am.

Can some user out there please chime in on whether you are able to reproduce this issue?

Scott Lavelle Friend

Well – Im disappointed that I got no useful feedback on this, but I did manage to figure out what was causing the issue. I don’t know why, but it seems to be resolved now.

If I were like most people, I would leave it at that, especially since there was not real input here, but I’m going to post the fix because I feel like contributing anyway.

So, my sticky menu was not working correctly. I re-checked that I was doing things according to the Joomlart Mega menu instructions and I was, but the thing that was causing the graphical problem, only when in Chrome and only with hardware acceleration and only on some video cards was this:

<nav id="t3-mainnav" class="wrap navbar navbar-default t3-mainnav" data-spy="affix" data-offset-top="70">

specifically that part with the data-offset-top="70"

I don’t really even like the way that this displays because it makes the screen jump, so I usually take it out and put a margin on the header of the page to make it so that it rolls under the menu but starts out below the menu.

Well, when I took this out and tested it, I saw no graphical issues. I assumed it might be because there was an update to Google Chrome, but nope. I turned it back on and the anomalies re-appeared.

On top of that, the menu was not working as "sticky" with it this way anyway, so just as well. I hope that one day, someone will find this post when they are having the same problems after following the tech advice of the company who made the framework, telling you how to use the framework, only to find that the suggestion not only doesn’t work, but causes a problem that they can’t even reproduce when told exactly how to do it.

SMH.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Lavelle 6 years, 8 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum