Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I recently installed JA Cooper.
    I thought it was my eyes were going (which they are) – looking at the text on JA Slideshow2 it is hardly sharp focus.

Running the template in IE8 and FF – the grey/white text appears clearer.

Clearly a CSS issue but not noticed fuzzy text rendering in Chrome before.

Any solution to this?

John Wesley Brett Moderator

Try changing the font styling. Chrome does a crappy job of rendering the “Segoe UI” font.

The font was developed by Microsoft for Vista and also came with MSOffice 2007, LiveMail and a couple of other products. XP users won’t have it on their computer unless they’ve added one of the free downloads of the items mentioned above.
    so that should be a HUGE giveaway as to why one may want to stay away from it.

You might try replacing it with either “Segoe” (without the UI), Myriad or Trebuchet MS…and see if you get better results. If not…delete it altogether…and stick with what we know works…helvetica, arial, etc…

You’ll find the font properties in template.css (line 18)

body {
    background:#FFFFFF none repeat scroll 0 0;
    color:#000000;
    font-family:"Segoe UI",Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
    line-height:1.5;
    }

For those interested in the Segoe UI controversy…

Have fun.
    John.

jsliao Friend

interesting read. thanks john

stbrides Friend

Well that’s better.

The text look much sharper.

Sadly the title is still strangely pixelated to the text.

John Wesley Brett Moderator

I don’t have this template installed…so I can’t really check this is Chrome…
    But if someone wants to give it a shot, try this:

In ja.slideshow2.css (line 85)
    Change this:

.maskDesc .ja-slide-desc h3 {
    color:#CCCCCC;
    font-size:160%;
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    text-transform:uppercase;
    }

To this…and see if you can tell a difference:

.maskDesc .ja-slide-desc h3 {
    color:#CCCCCC;
    font-size: 2em;
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    text-transform:uppercase;
    }

Again…just a guess. A known issue of “Chrome” is its fixed width font rendering…which, as of today, there is no fix for.

But worth a shot.
    John.

wooohanetworks Friend

That all happens because of the opacity effect that comes with the extension and Google Chrome does not like opacity of that type. I have seen these faulty displays also on other sites with other templates and other extension.

From the standards Google Chrome is built, I would even say, that this opacity effect is not perfectly written, or Google Chrome would render it perfectly. On the other hand it may be the complete opposite, that Google Chrome is not equipped with this ability to render it right, but I also only know about Joomla extensions that create those errors and even use this effect, so this would be a typical thing. Not supported by Chrome as not used by the majority of Google wise interesting sites.:-[

Whenever possible, as more and more people use the best browser available, Google Chrome, I would not use those opacity slideshows at all, but that is up to anyone to decide.

I would never switch back to the memory sucker FireFoxy again since I installed Chrome, a lot better, a lot faster, a lot easier, a lot more a lots with Google Chrome, and whenever needing Firebug, I still can use FF for this job or also IE with the developer toolbar when applicable.

Hope you get that fixed anyhow!;)

Urszula Dziki Friend

Thank you so much for that post John.. Very good reading indeed. You rock! I did not ask this question but found answer very useful.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Urszula Dziki 15 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum