Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hello,

The articles i post on the frontpage, are showing up in its enterity, it doesnt give the readmore option.

How to solve this ?

Note: I found the solution.

beadit Friend

Would you like to share the solution?

Phill Moderator

with so little information from the above poster I can only hazard a guess. He was probably using IE8 and for some strange reason the TinyMce editor seems to not make the readmore correctly. In FF it is ok. Check the html for a working article with readmore and one that doesn’t work and you will see the difference. Check it in FF, Safari or Chrome but not IE as the problem will come back when you hit save on the aricle.

This is a known issue with Joomla/IE8 and not related to whatever template you are using.

gail_peacock Friend

I have this glitch myself.

The top article of the 3 I have displayed shows the ‘read more’ link but the two articles beneath don’t show a read more link, even though a read more has been set within the article on all three.

I’ve tried editing the articles and saving them whilst browsing in Firefox and it didn’t fix the problem. I checked the site frontend in Firefox browser an IE. Maybe I have to write the article again, from scratch?

uniquebiz Friend

<em>@phill luckhurst 164902 wrote:</em><blockquote>with so little information from the above poster I can only hazard a guess. He was probably using IE8 and for some strange reason the TinyMce editor seems to not make the readmore correctly. In FF it is ok. Check the html for a working article with readmore and one that doesn’t work and you will see the difference. Check it in FF, Safari or Chrome but not IE as the problem will come back when you hit save on the aricle.

This is a known issue with Joomla/IE8 and not related to whatever template you are using.</blockquote>

Hi Phil
    Don’t answer my pms now your a paid JA man? 😉 strange to see someone once outraged at me unfair ban etc at the hands of JA suddenly not want to know?

It’s not an IE / tinymce problem look here in FF I’m using JCE 1.56 editor and you can see just a line where the readmore should be. Viewing the source code I get the correct code for the readmore (<hr id=”system-readmore” />) It appears that Joomla core isn’t converting this placeholder code to a proper break. The same JCE configuration on any other JA template works fine.

This is a rather bog standard install as far as active 3rd party extensions go. So I feel the problem may be unique to the Rasite template.

JCE has fixed known bugs with readmore since 1.54. The fact that it is in a module rather than a straight fp article makes no diff to me

Can we get someone from JA to look at this or do we have to flood the ticket system to get them to provide the support that’s supposed to be included (by actual JA coders) and not exploited forum helpers?

Shannon

Phill Moderator

What PM’s? Under what username?

Strangely, I do have a life and one that has been busy these last couple of weeks. I don’t spend all my time at the computer complaining in the way you seem intent on doing. Even though the PM box has been flashing I have been too busy with other things to take a look. For instance yesterday my daughter spent in hospital having broken her foot.

Paid by JA? Not in the slightest. I am doing it for my own reasons and am not going to discuss that with you.

As for you getting banned, I did stick up for you but on further checking it seemd that you did still have access to the forum. Your name was there a number of times after your ban, reading threads logged in as ShannoN. You even PM’d me and under your status it was not showed as banned. So what am I to believe?

Back onto the problem. When in the above is JCE mentioned? Where do the first 2 posts give any more information? All I can do is speculate and I have stated that in my post. There was a problem in IE8/Tiny that caused problems with the readmore and it is well documented. How is that a problem of any of the JA templates?

The readmore works perfectly in the content area as it should. If you have a problem getting it to work in a module then why not ask politely instead of spouting bile as you have done above. If it is simply because you are agrieved at your supposed previous ban then why do you continue to spend more money registering under different names?

As you intention here was obviously to insult me then please do not expect me to answer any of your posts or PM’s in future.

Phill Moderator

Just one thing that needs to be pointed out about using the readmore in module positions and making your whole point void.

http://docs.joomla.org/Splitting_an_Article_into_an_introduction_with_a_link_to_read_more

The official Joomla docs clearly states.

<blockquote>The “read more” function works only in articles published in blog layout</blockquote>

Unfortunately, JCE doesn’t hide the readmore button as it should do so those who do not understand the way joomla works will not realise that it shouldn’t be there. Tiny MCE does hide the readmore button when in the module manager editor page.

I would have not linked to the above article but as I am not an “actual JA coder” I thought you would not believe me otherwise.

uniquebiz Friend

phill luckhurst;165488What PM’s? Under what username?

Strangely, I do have a life and one that has been busy these last couple of weeks. I don’t spend all my time at the computer complaining in the way you seem intent on doing. Even though the PM box has been flashing I have been too busy with other things to take a look. For instance yesterday my daughter spent in hospital having broken her foot.

Paid by JA? Not in the slightest. I am doing it for my own reasons and am not going to discuss that with you.

As for you getting banned, I did stick up for you but on further checking it seemd that you did still have access to the forum. Your name was there a number of times after your ban, reading threads logged in as ShannoN. You even PM’d me and under your status it was not showed as banned. So what am I to believe?

Back onto the problem. When in the above is JCE mentioned? Where do the first 2 posts give any more information? All I can do is speculate and I have stated that in my post. There was a problem in IE8/Tiny that caused problems with the readmore and it is well documented. How is that a problem of any of the JA templates?

The readmore works perfectly in the content area as it should. If you have a problem getting it to work in a module then why not ask politely instead of spouting bile as you have done above. If it is simply because you are agrieved at your supposed previous ban then why do you continue to spend more money registering under different names?

As you intention here was obviously to insult me then please do not expect me to answer any of your posts or PM’s in future.

I as you say I could log in as ShannonN after the ban but could not use post or view the forums so maybe you have it wrong.

if you are here to offer support as a super mod then that is what paid up members expect, as for using another name to register and pay its the company I sub for and I was told if I joined again as ShannonN the ban would still be in effect wasting my time and money, if you think I was having a big go at you you didn’t see the smile in my post,

if your daughters injured and your frantic over that dont give me grief because of it! don’t want to answer my posts great ! Then remove yourself as super mod and dont
    Like many others ere we get sick of no support via tickets for which we pay for and its acontractual thing a legal entitlement and sick of our posts being removed when we dare to ask (politely at times 🙂 for our contractual rights, JA has absolutely atrocious support and everyone knows it.

It’s gotten worse not better, yes I know don’t like it go elsewhere, no, I pay for support with templates and expect and will get it.
    Shannon

uniquebiz Friend

phill luckhurst;165489Just one thing that needs to be pointed out about using the readmore in module positions and making your whole point void.

http://docs.joomla.org/Splitting_an_Article_into_an_introduction_with_a_link_to_read_more

The official Joomla docs clearly states.

Unfortunately, JCE doesn’t hide the readmore button as it should do so those who do not understand the way joomla works will not realize that it shouldn’t be there. Tiny MCE does hide the readmore button when in the module manager editor page.

I would have not linked to the above article but as I am not an “actual JA coder” I thought you would not believe me otherwise.

Hi Phil
    I appreciate the link and the explanation, I had tiny MCE do the same things as JCE, so figured there were problems inherent to both as you point out not all of us have the full knowledge of Joomla and the way it works, whether by design, laziness or just the fact that buying templates tends to relieve me from having to know it all

I was NOT aware of this restriction. You have done your job as SM and enlightened me, I can be taught 🙂

RE. Your sarcasm; RE not a coder . while obviously an attempt to bait me into an outburst, possibly with view to a chance for JA to impose another ban etc I’ll just overlook this time 😉

Hoping your daughter recovers well
    Shannon

Phill Moderator

I actually would not like to see anyone banned and never would.

Closing this thread.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Phill 14 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum