Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

A few days ago JoomlaCode implemented a big change to their service. This affected many extensions that use the Joomlacode service as a repository for their files. In the case of Feedgator this causes the back end of Joomla to crash on the Feedgator control panel. Why? well on that particular page Feedgator checks the Joomlacode repo for details of the latest release and displays the current update status to the user. Because of the external changes this highlighted a drawback in the Feedgator code dealing with this. As such a new version of the stable release (2.3.7) and an update to the 2.4 Beta 3 release has been launched which fixes the problem.

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/feedgator/

rockbox Friend

Hi,
    I noticed an issue with feedgator a few days back and was wondering what was wrong.

Do I need to uninstall then reinstall, or can I install over the component?
    Also, do I just install FeedGator2.4beta3hotfix1 ?

Thanks,
    Love the program…… even though I can’t get the cron thing to work.

Phill Moderator

Currently just stick with 2.3.7. Simply download that version and re-install and your problems will be fixed. The 2.4beta release is fantastic but there are some fundamental changes to the way it collects feeds (It starts at the bottom of the feed stack currently, older versions worked top down) so it could cause a little bit of confusion depending on your work flow. The author is adding a configurable item for the next beta.

rockbox Friend

<em>@phill luckhurst 385131 wrote:</em><blockquote>Currently just stick with 2.3.7. Simply download that version and re-install and your problems will be fixed. The 2.4beta release is fantastic but there are some fundamental changes to the way it collects feeds (It starts at the bottom of the feed stack currently, older versions worked top down) so it could cause a little bit of confusion depending on your work flow. The author is adding a configurable item for the next beta.</blockquote>

Thanks Phil, do I need to uninstall then reinstall, or can I install over the component?

Phill Moderator

Just install over the component. As usual, take backups first. Having said that I’ve done a number of sites and not run into any problems but always worth having a backup.

rockbox Friend

<em>@phill luckhurst 385140 wrote:</em><blockquote>Just install over the component. As usual, take backups first. Having said that I’ve done a number of sites and not run into any problems but always worth having a backup.</blockquote>

Thanks Phil much appreciated!

rockbox Friend

Worked like a dream Phil, thanks!

joomlaexcel Friend

Is FeedGator required if I just want to use content from inside my website?

joomlaexcel Friend

Is FeedGator required if I just want to use content from inside my website?

Phill Moderator

Feedgator is a third party component used simply for gathering RSS feeds from external sites and creating an article from them. You can happily use JA Wall without it.

Phill Moderator

Feedgator is a third party component used simply for gathering RSS feeds from external sites and creating an article from them. You can happily use JA Wall without it.

mmx1947 Friend

There is a debugged version of the abandoned Feedgator 3.x alpha hiding on a Github project and the version is labeled 4.0. The last commit was two years ago, but it appears to operate fine on Joomla! 3.7.5 and 3.8.1. The link is below:

https://github.com/nivong/feedgator

I have not tried to run it automatically with a cron job yet, but it appears to import manually with no problems. There were some earlier Feedgator problems with character encoding issues for the Cyrillic languages. I have not tested those languages yet, but did notice that the htmlLawed dependency was out of date with the current release. htmlLawed basically does the same thing as HTML Tidy. One other dependency is out of date but the author has since made the software commercial.

Feedback from others suggests that obGrabber handles the import of feeds to Joomla Articles and K2 well. I have not had the opportunity to investigate further.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by  mmx1947.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by  mmx1947.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mmx1947 6 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum