Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Is there any advantage in using the Quickstart vs.the Fantastico installation of the Joomla and the subsequent upload of the Joomlart template?

I like the idea of Fantastico handling all of the db set up and would prefer to use it, but want to employ the method that causes the smoothest installation.

thanks.

Menalto Friend

Install it yourseslf.
    Quickstart = Gives you same look as on the demo, manually upload and install it.
    Fantastico = Gives you Joomla installed in 2 clicks.
    You install = This way YOU have full controll over whats happening.

TomC Moderator

I will, of course, concede to the overall wisdom of Menalto on this issue. 🙂

For myself, I like using the Quickstart installation method because it helps me learn from the examples of how various elements are created (i.e. articles, menus, custom-mods, etc.) I have learned a great deal from using the Quickstart method.

In the end, it’s a personal preference issue.

😎

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@ellie_t 64659 wrote:</em><blockquote>Is there any advantage in using the Quickstart vs.the Fantastico installation of the Joomla and the subsequent upload of the Joomlart template?

I like the idea of Fantastico handling all of the db set up and would prefer to use it, but want to employ the method that causes the smoothest installation.

thanks.</blockquote>

Hi ellie_t,

My experience with Fantastico is that the version installed is not always the latest. Even if it is the latest now, what happens when you have to upgrade the Joomla. There has been two updates of Joomla 1.0.xx since the beginning of this year, and 4 Joomla 1.5.x updates 1.5.0 => 1.5.3.

Eventually, you will have to do it yourself, even if you start with Fantastico. So, to echo Menalto and Tom, it is better now that you learn how to do it, rather than later when your site has significant content already.

At least, if you make errors now. It may just mean starting all over again. So, the sooner you get your hands dirty, the more confident you become when there are problems that will arise.

For starters, if you are serious in creating websites, for any reason, you have to understand how to set-up a database, what the difference in the setup is when you have a dedicated server or you are part of a shared server.

Starting with the Joomla-Joomlart Template QuickStart kit, is very fast, and almost straightforward if you have read the instructions and heed the common mistakes committed. Menalto has written one QuickStart installation, Hung has one, and there are others in the Tutorials section. It does not matter what Joomlart template you use.

What matters is the version you use: Joomla1.0x-Joomlart Template QuickStart kit or Joomla 1.5x-Joomlart Template QuickStart kit, there are more steps in the Joomla 1.5.x-Joomlart Template QuickStart kit.

I recommend the Joomla 1.0x-Joomlart Template QuickStart kit for new users, to give you confidence — because it is almost foolproof, if you have done reading the instructions and also read the whole browser page during what is called the Browser-based installation stage. And, make sure that you used the proper instructions

Joomla is the smoothest installation I have ever encountered to install. Once you get used to it, the actual installation of Joomla 1.0x plus the template all in a single step, as they are already integrated — thus the name QuickStart — takes me about 5 minutes tops, for any Joomla 1.0x-Joomlart.

It is slightly longer for the Joomla1.5x-Joomlart Template QuickStart kit because there are additional steps that are not part of the Joomla 1.0x-Joomlart Template QuickStart kit installation.

There are two additional steps in the Joomla1.5x-Joomlart Template QuickStart kit that are the most common sources of errors of new users

1) The format of the FTP username in the FTP configuration step
    and
    2) Failure to click install demo database in a later step of the installation.

During the post-installation, there is a bug in Joomla1.5.3 that you have to work around, because for some reason, the configuration.php during the installation is not filled up properly. This becomes an issue if the content of your installed Joomla1.5x-Joomlart Template QuickStart kit is not placed in the the public_html directory; and the SEF URLs is turned on (clicked Yes) after the post installation.

What needed to be done for the above are discussed in the Forum, a number of times, so I will not repeat them here.

But, if technical stuff overwhelms you in one sitting, you do not encounter the above issues when you start with the Joomla 1.0x-Joomlart Template QuickStart kit — after reading the instructions carefully, of course. This is why, I always recommend for new users to start with Joomla 1.0x-Joomlart Template QuickStart kit.

When you have more confidence in what you are doing, then you can always install Joomla 1.5x-Joomlart Template QuickStart kit in the future. What is most important, at an early stage of a new user is the mora booster that (s)he can do it.

Cornelio

ivory355 Friend

Thank you guys for the insightful post. It helps me sort out some clouds in my mind. I will figure out both by experience.

iguinee Friend

I have used both BUT prefer Quickstart. You get what you see.

nefar Friend

Quick start all the way. Fantastico has a habit of not being up to date and if you use the QS you can name your own DB’s.

hilfiger Friend

There is a new app for CPanel called Installatron

Gives u the option of upgrade, backup , import joomla installations, etc… and is up to date. http://installatron.com/

tiffany51 Friend

I do use Fantastico most often beacause my CP provides it to me,And it’s really easy.i personaly recommend it to u .

jbright Friend

Just a question:

How does Quickstart works? dont tell me that we have to open the “Quickstart” file and upload the files according to each name on Public_hmtl??

Arvind Chauhan Moderator

Hi jbright,

I answered that in your earlier post. Quickstart is installed the very same way one would install joomla! (fantastico is not the recommended method to install joomla).

you sure use the Cpanel (as you have fantastico).

>> Make a new folder
    >> uplaod the quickstart zip to it
    >> Single click on the uploaded zip file, check options in the right side >> find the unzip option and click it.
    >> now access the directory via web url.

example : your new directory name is ” joomla_test ” and your domain is http://www.xxxxx.com then the web url to access the new folder would be >> http://www.xxxxx.com/joomla_test <<

this would start the joomla installer and you need to fill in the values and on the last page, where it ask you to fill in the password and site name >> scroll the page and you would see a button >> Click to install Sample Data << hit that button.
    You skip this option and your joomla will install without sample data.

You would also need to create a database and user (with password) to complete the installation, as joomla should know which database it has been allocated to save the info.

Mate, you need to search google for how to install joomla. That would help you.

Our quickstarts are joomla packaged with sample data. the steps are exactly the same.

Regards

Arvind

Phill Moderator

Just a quick addition about Fantastico. The system does rely heavilly on your host keeping packages up to date. I have recently seen hosts giving fantastico installs of Joomla that are still running on 1.5.9, that is 12 versions behind. This not only places you at risk but your host too. The Joomla team do not release security updates just to be annoying.

Even when the Fantastico installs are kept up to date by its very nature it has to modify some core files to work. That can and does cause other problems. Some software developers will even refuse to support installs made with Fantastico as a result.

With a Fantastico install you also loose out on all the goodies that JA pack into their quickstarts such as plugins and the sample data showing you how they all work.

Finally, you learn nothing from clicking a button in cpanel. While this might seem easy to start with taking half an hour to learn how to do things as the programmers intended will give you a much better grounding if and when you do run into problems.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Phill 13 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum