Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I just started playing with this template, and I noticed that if you are viewing on a page that does not have vertical scroll bars (the content is does not extend beyond the vertical size of the page), and you then click on an item that does produce vertical scroll bars, the entire template shifts over.

Please view my test site to see what I mean: http://www.aoclayton.com

I would love advice on how to fix this.

cjmicro Friend

Hi there,

I looked at the link in FF 3.0.5, IE 7.0.5, Google Chrome, Netscape 8, and Safari (all for windows on a PC) and it took me awhile to notice what you are talking about. :

But I do see what you mean. I tried it too and on both wide and narrow versions it does shift slightly if the page has no side modules, or one side instead of 2.

Also, just for mention, some of the headline in the longer text disappears under the module below, just fyi.

Sorry this is not an answer, but just to let you know I found the same problem, although not sure I would even notice it!!

Cheryl

jbrowdy Friend

This appears to be a problem a general problem related to vertical scrollbars and lateral shift. I am in the process of doing a google search, but if anyone knows how to fix it, please let me know.

jbrowdy Friend

It is an issue with fixed width, centered web designs, and it’s actually very prevalent. Look around the web, and you will see a ton of it.

There answers include: force the scrollbar to not be visible or force it to be visible regardless of the content. I am not sure which I think it aesthetically the best, but I think having the scrollbar on the right is not too intrusive, but watching the content shift bothers me.

You can find an the solution all over the web, including here: http://ulyssesonline.com/2006/03/21/page-shift-bothers-me/

jbrowdy Friend

Now here’s my latest bugaboo: I was able to make the “Search” appear on the search button in Safari, but not Firefox. Maybe this deserves it’s own thread?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jbrowdy 15 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum