Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

By default Joomla disables both the cache and GZIP compression on a new install.

If your site runs a little slow and you want to speed up your site load time you can enable these options in the global configuration.

Not all web hosts have GZIP installed, but most modern hosts do, so if enabling GZIP compression throws errors, just turn it back off.

The built in cache in Joomla is good, but there are many really good cache components over at the Joomla.org extensions site. I suggest that if you want really good speed for your site that you look into some of them.

To save you some time, here is the link Joomla Extensions

Step 1. Go to > Site > Global Configuration.

Step 2. Click the System tab.

Step 3. Check the Yes radio button for Cache.

Step 4. Click the Server tab.

Step 5. Check the Yes radio button for GZIP Compression.

Step 6. Click the Save button.

Please remember that when you make some changes to your site you may not be able to see them right away because your site is cached once every 15 minutes with the default settings.

Once enabled in Global configuration you can check to see if GZIP is working on your server HERE (Thanks to Menalto for the link & info) 😎

If you want to see your changes right away you will need to clear the Joomla cache.

Here is how to do that…

Step 1. Go to > Tools > Clean Cache.

Step 2. Either check the radio box for the file you want to see the changes for or, check the first check box to select all cached pages.

Step 3. Click the Delete button.

Step 4. Go see your changes.

Once you visit your site it will be cached again so if you are making lots of changes, don’t turn on your cache until you are ready to go into production.

Thats it.

These tutorials are made on my own time and server bandwith, so don’t forget to say thank you if you find them helpful.;)
    Good Luck 🙂

bennitos Friend

Nice tutorial will come in handy 🙂

instantinlaw Friend

Glad you liked it.
    There’s more coming. 🙂

bennitos Friend

I must say, many good tutorials and support all around last week or so, really nice.

So yeah will keep my eyes open for the next one 🙂

Meng Fei Koo Friend

Hi,

I have been using page compress quite some time. But recenlty, I am facing problem with JA Slide show.

I used to turn on GZIP page compress and some setting on hosting if it is not enabled it. But now I used JA template and face problem where the page always blank… After few days cracking my head, i realise that by turning of the JA Slide show module, all work nicely and my page is FAST…

Any one encounter this problem?

instantinlaw Friend

kmf165;60210Hi,

I have been using page compress quite some time. But recenlty, I am facing problem with JA Slide show.

I used to turn on GZIP page compress and some setting on hosting if it is not enabled it. But now I used JA template and face problem where the page always blank… After few days cracking my head, i realise that by turning of the JA Slide show module, all work nicely and my page is FAST…

Any one encounter this problem?

Haven’t experienced that problem, so I can’t help there.
    There are lot’s of great slideshow components and modules over at Joomla.org though. Why don’t you try one of those?

ramda Friend

Nice. Thanks !

instantinlaw Friend

You’re welcome. 🙂

tempusserbia Friend

Thanks instantinlaw for useful tutorial.

I want to emphasize, that you have to be aware of components and specially modules in which you MUST NOT enable cache in module parameters settings.

For example, if you are using “Search Cloud” Module, if you enable cache then your search keywords in cloud will be always same, cause Joomla will read them from cache.

Anyway, read instructions and think about wat modules or components, plugins, are working.

Menalto Friend

One other thing is the CPU load when enabling GZIP, your sites visitor get a faster load of the site, but the server need to work harder for it.

Here is also another test tool you can use to check your site with: http://www.octagate.com/service/SiteTimer/

mayke Friend

Hi experties,

– If turn on system cache will help faster? Is it save to turn on this plugins?

instantinlaw Friend

mayke;69726Hi experties,

– If turn on system cache will help faster? Is it save to turn on this plugins?

Yes it should speed up your site, but what plugin are you asking about?

mayke Friend

Hi,

I am asking about the system cache plugins inside Joomla > Extensions > plugins > System – Cache.
    Reason: not much among the author (of us) understand css that well, so the Editor-TinyMCE is the perfect choice for editing in Teline II V1.4, but, it seems bit slow retrieving the Editor – (TinyMCE 2.0) when we use it.
    And the question is – if I turn it on this plugins, which is I saw it turn off by Joomla Default, will this help in the backend working faster? Any advice for beginner would be appreciate.

instantinlaw Friend

Hi mayke,
    No, enabling the cache will not help speed up the editor.

mayke Friend

Hi Instantinlaw,

Noticed that the question is more for Joomla.org than here, but you still have the time to answer it.
    Thank you for the clear answer and attention.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  tobefg 11 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum