Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

tcraw1010;18232I won’t lie – I am still not the biggest fan of “all CSS” designs. I have been working with my JoomlArt template for a couple of weeks now, and I find the relationship between the CSS and PHP scripting to be very cumbersome and frustrating. In my opinion, there is often times lackign rhyme or reason to how/why things operate as they do – especially when trying to customize things. Also, why tehre are multiple css and php files for one template/site is still soemthing I cannot seem to understand the logic of.

Say what you will … but the beauty of using tables – especially within a wysiwyg environment (such as Dreamweaver) – is that you see where the tables are, what they look like and it is much easier to move/rearrange things within the page. With CSS, you simply do not have that kind of wysiwyg design availability. As much as the “coders” don’t like to acknowledge, there are still quite a few of us “visual” designers out there who need the wysiwyg environment.

TOM

Tom,
    I used to think the same way about css and using tables in a nice wysiwyg enviroment like Dreamweaver, and I used to use frames to achieve the same effect as a php include, etc. But, when you start dealing with a 100 page and up site, like Joomla, all you have to do is change one or two lines of code in the css to make the changes site wide. and using a php include does not cause browser issues like using frames used to do.

I have, in the past had to make changes on a large site without css, and it took forever, even with global find and replace. I for one have jumped on the css band wagon hole heartedly because it has freed up so much valuable time to do other things.

I am sure that Adobe is working on a wysiwyg css editor right now and they have already included more css support in CS3, but if you don’t jump in and play with the css by hand you will never know what to edit later, even in a css wysiwyg editor.

And hey, if you don’t change with the times you will likely be left behind. 🙂

TomC Moderator

Of course, I know you are correct and – as such – I am trudging along learning, little-by-little, how CSS operates.

You also brought up one of the primary reasons I have been working with Joomla for my eCommerce site – content management for when the pages start to become numerouos. (Hopefully, by the time that happens, I will have a much more confident grasp on everything).

Ironically, I have actually been able to provide some assistance to one or two questions here.
    (Now, whether or not my responses are correct is a different matter … but it’s still nice to be able to help).

🙂

instantinlaw Friend

Yes Tom,
    You will learn as you go along. I have only been a member of Joomlart since Feb 07. I had only been using Joomla for about a month before joining, but I had used osCommerce before and I had worked for a web design firm for about a year before that, which was where I had to start to learn css (and asp). But it was the xenia template that really got me into the css aspect of it. Fortunatly for me I really get into learning web design and the more advanced the better. I am picking up css with little trouble, heck I taught myself Photoshop from V4.5 to CS3 and Dreamweaver from V4 to CS3, and I am learning php coding as I go along, and so will you.

You are doing a spectactular job modifying the xenia template for your needs and when you are done you will have more than enough experience to help out even more than you already are, and you will be on the css & php bandwagon then too.

Keep up the great work. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  instantinlaw 16 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum