Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

This is non Joomlart related and i thought this is probably be the best place to ask.

I have a few ideas for building a couple of basic custom components. I see their are a few options to get started quickly like j-cook.pro or component-creator.com

Can anyone vouch for either of them being any good? or have any alternatives to them?

J-Cook looks good since you can build the component and build the basic pages on their website.

I am merely wondering if its worth the fee for any of these over learning how to put the basics together myself.

chavan Friend

I have used component creator, it is good.

Pankaj Sharma Moderator

<em>@Chavan 450258 wrote:</em><blockquote>I have used component creator, it is good.</blockquote>
    I also suggest component creator . its good i tried it in past ,you can use it

Note : The suggestion is based on personal level . JA will not responsible for it .

andypooz Friend

I have used both quite extensively. They both have advantages and disadvantages.

J-cook – The good
    Great interface
    Lets you try it out for free and try in the sandbox
    Lots of widgets, form elements, table linking, ajax capability

J-cook- The bad
    No free downloads, you have to pay to get an installable
    Code bloat- There is a lot of complex coding going on where it really isn’t necessary. It uses jdom for form elements, which may be considered over-the-top. When it comes to customising your component after you’ve installed it, the learning curve for the j-cook code is pretty steep.
    Broken English- created by French developers, a whole lot of the site and support is written in poor English that can be difficult to follow, especially where they are talking about high level programming concepts

Component creator- The good
    Simple, get-out-of-your-way interface- nothing fancy, but easy, especially if you’re new to component development
    Free for single table components

Component creator- The bad
    Subscription costs are 150% the price of j-cook (for monthly)
    Lacks user access control integration and other nice things

So, it depends what you want. If you’re new to component development and your requirements are simple then component creator is for you. If you want to be able to achieve more within the interface then j-cook is better. J-cook have obviously tried very hard to satisfy a whole lot of requirements, but they’ve created a bit of a monster. The components generated have masses of code and can be very difficult to navigate when it comes time to customising things.

Component Creator is better for me, because I only want it to give me a head start and then be left with a component that is easy to customise with my own code. If you’re not planning on doing any customising of functionality, just a bit of a redesign when you’ve got it installed then J-cook is probably a good choice, because it gives you widgets, access control and other useful features that Component Creator lacks.

James G Friend

Thanks,

Thats really helpful.

I still haven’t got round to development yet but you have swayed me towards component-creator.

James G Friend

Thanks,

Thats really helpful.

I still haven’t got round to development yet but you have swayed me towards component-creator.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  James G 8 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum