Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

In last couple of days, I’ve seen few posts regarding problems how to create favicon, how to change it, etc.

Here are some guidelines how to do it easy.

1. Create image, pick up some…it depends on your needs, ideas…if you are not satisfied with result, you can always change it. Don’t worry about size in this step.

2. Go to: FavIcon from Pics

3. There you will find complete guide how to upload image from step one and choose what kind of favicon you want (static, scrolling…)

4. Follow steps from site above

5. Open your site FTP, and find “images” folder. When you are there, look for [FONT=”Arial Black”]”favicon.ico”[/FONT] and replace it (overwrite, new file must have same name as old one) with your newly generated favicon.

6. When you are finished, clear cookies, cache, temp internet files, and then open your homepage.

7. If everything is OK, you will be able to see your favicon.

8. Don’t forget to check look of your favicon in IE, FF, Opera, Safari…

9. If you are certain that you have done everything as described above, keep on mind: tt can take up to several days before it will change, just be patient

10. If you have more questions or need some speciic details, just aks here.

In hope that this will help you.

1. favicon
    mfcphil Friend

Does the site you refer to have the 1.5 instructions, as I understand there is a different way of doing it from the earlier version.

Menalto Friend

In 1.5 it should be enough to just replace the favicon.ico in the templates folder for the template you use, ex in http://www.yoursite.com/templates/ja_helio/favicon.ico

tempusserbia Friend

<em>@mfcphil 56412 wrote:</em><blockquote>Does the site you refer to have the 1.5 instructions, as I understand there is a different way of doing it from the earlier version.</blockquote>

Site is only generating favicon file from image which you provide, it’s for general purpose, not only for Joomla.

missyw Friend

<em>@Menalto 56419 wrote:</em><blockquote>In 1.5 it should be enough to just replace the favicon.ico in the templates folder for the template you use, ex in http://www.yoursite.com/templates/ja_helio/favicon.ico</blockquote>
    – You would think that should be the case. But I have just sent my site live, and the web stats tell me it couldn’t find favicon.ico in the site’s root directory. So I have added the favicon.ico there for good measure.

jwellman Friend

I just make a 64×64 PNG, reduce it to 16×16, upload it to the same location of my favicon and rename the png to an ico. It’s pretty easy to do. When using Firefox I “Clear my private data” (under tools) and reopen Firefox and voila, new favicon is there.

David Friend

You might also try Phoca’s Favicon let’s you do this more or less automatically from within the Joomla! adminstrator backend. You can create a different favicon for each template that you use; it’s quick and really easy.

wooohanetworks Friend

You can also use the services of DynamicDrive at http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

Pretty much the best and easiest solution around. Check it out!

Much success and enjoyment for the coming time and the new year 2009!:D

questbg Friend

For any Mac users, try IcoMaker, shareware, easy to use and makes neat little favicons (16×16, 32×32 and 48×48)

annaleen Friend

<em>@wooohanetworks 97091 wrote:</em><blockquote>You can also use the services of DynamicDrive at http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

Pretty much the best and easiest solution around. Check it out!

Much success and enjoyment for the coming time and the new year 2009!:D</blockquote>
    I love the fact that you can merge it with a large icon and desktop icon. A good 2009 for your all, thanks for all the tips in the past. 😀

sunrise Friend

Great thread with lots of good tips and advice that you have picked up over the years.

Here is one more very good icon and favicon maker:

IcoFX is a free icon editor. You can easily create, edit, read and save icons with transparency for Windows XP and Vista. You can convert your favorite images into icons, or icons to images. With the help of many tools and more than 40 effects icon creation is made easy. It offers powerful tools like Brighten, Darken, Blur and Sharpen for retouching your icons in minutes. In the integrated workspace you can easily preview, save, change your icons.

The porgram can be downloaded from http://icofx.ro/

Happy New Year and Happy icon making

annaleen Friend

Thankyou for sharing!

wooohanetworks Friend

<em>@annaleen 103069 wrote:</em><blockquote>I love the fact that you can merge it with a large icon and desktop icon. A good 2009 for your all, thanks for all the tips in the past. :D</blockquote> I also love the fact that I do not have to install any shareware stuff that after the second use is only taking away memory and fills my ini with entries. That is why, from my perspective, this one is the best solution, it goes in a hurry and, yes, the icon option is also one of the pluspoints and I used it some time ago too. The last ones were only favicons as my desktop today is filled and filled with files and files and files and more folders that are only numbered…:D:)

faviconz Friend

Real great to read about favicon creation. I found the post just doing google………:laugh::laugh::laugh: You may try Favicon Generator which will allow you to create a favicon for your website.

didima Friend

nice one thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  jimmicarter 13 years, 3 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum