Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

So many people are flaming the new template, you pay and you get two templates per month, stop and appreciate artistic value. Not each one can be made according to your specifications, and consider the fact that most clubs are getting you one graphically overstuffed template per month. Joomlart gives both sides a chance, simplicity and complexity, so I don’t understand why people go NUTS when they see a template that is simplistic. Well I could go NUTS on Rocket Theme when they issue template after template of Graphic Heavy templates. I think that over here you can get both types, and even though I may not have a use for some of these, I appreciate the work put into them, whether they appeal to me in particular or not.

Good job with this one as well, even if I don’t have a specific use for it, you can’t expect each and every one to satisfy the overly picky like myself. :-[

starmed Friend

<blockquote>I appreciate the work put into them</blockquote>

What work, it is a blank template!

Salsabil Friend

<em>@Jules242 28978 wrote:</em><blockquote>So many people are flaming the new template, you pay and you get two templates per month, stop and appreciate artistic value. Not each one can be made according to your specifications, and consider the fact that most clubs are getting you one graphically overstuffed template per month. Joomlart gives both sides a chance, simplicity and complexity, so I don’t understand why people go NUTS when they see a template that is simplistic. Well I could go NUTS on Rocket Theme when they issue template after template of Graphic Heavy templates. I think that over here you can get both types, and even though I may not have a use for some of these, I appreciate the work put into them, whether they appeal to me in particular or not.

Good job with this one as well, even if I don’t have a specific use for it, you can’t expect each and every one to satisfy the overly picky like myself. :-[</blockquote>

are you getting discount for this statement? sorry, but the last templates from rockettheme are much better in design and functionality.

forgestone Friend

I just can’t disagree more with regard to RocketTheme. I’d join them in a heartbeat if they had a single template that ‘worked’ for me, but none do. The October theme is a great example of what I don’t like about their style, in fact. I’m not saying it’s bad, but there’s just nothing they do that works for anything I do, which is further testament to the differences in opinion and utility from person to person.

jules242 Friend

<em>@starmed 28981 wrote:</em><blockquote>What work, it is a blank template!</blockquote>

<em>@Salsabil 28982 wrote:</em><blockquote>are you getting discount for this statement? sorry, but the last templates from rockettheme are much better in design and functionality.</blockquote>

As far as I see:

http://www.joomlart.com/templates_demo.php?template=ja_iris

It isn’t a blank template, the images on it are transparent, the header especially, and with your own images/content you can make it into something.

And of course I’m getting a discount for saying that the template isn’t as bad as you say :confused:

Guys, you can’t expect them all the blow your minds. Some of Joomlart’s templates blow my mind (for real), and once in a while you get one that isn’t super spectacular. Wait for the next one 🙂

jules242 Friend

Geh!!!! Alright, I just want some background color here!! 😮 Its slowly poisoning me. Look at Koniga and this one. If only this had some background color.

TomC Moderator

Once again, people fail to grasp the fact that templates are STARTING POINTS for further customization of your unique site. Seems to me that all of the complaining here stems from those who simply do not want to put any work into creating a unique web experience – they simply want it all done FOR them (like welfare).

Learn CSS … study the PHP … CUSTOMIZE THE TEMPLATE.

If you don’t like JA Iris … don’t use it, simple as that.

jules242 Friend

<em>@tcraw1010 28988 wrote:</em><blockquote>Once again, people fail to grasp the fact that templates are STARTING POINTS for further customization of your unique site. Seems to me that all of the complaining here stems from those who simply do not want to put any work into creating a unique web experience – they simply want it all done FOR them (like welfare).

Learn CSS … study the PHP … CUSTOMIZE THE TEMPLATE.

If you don’t like JA Iris … don’t use it, simple as that.</blockquote>

I agree 🙂

bluecafe Friend

<em>@Jules242 28987 wrote:</em><blockquote>Geh!!!! Alright, I just want some background color here!! 😮 Its slowly poisoning me. Look at Koniga and this one. If only this had some background color.</blockquote>

You can easily add some background colors by your own.
    Search for the template_css.css file. There you will find #ja_wrapper
    where you can define the background of the whole template.
    Add a line
    background: #eefeff;
    (or whatever color you want) and the background will be colored according to your wishes.
    Just don’t forget the ; at the end of the line.
    Of course then you will soon have to go on an recolor other parts as well 😀

#ja_content is only the middle part if you want to change just that.

Now, if you want to take the chance to make this template an opportunity to learn something about css go on and download the webdeveloper toolbar for firefox
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

Once you have installed it you will find a tab “information” in your browser. There you will find a menu item “display div orders”. Now you can see the how the different parts of your templates are named. Then go to the template_css.css file and look for these names and change the styles according to your wishes by adding background color, background images or whatever you like.

See it positive … even you don’t like it there is still the chance to learn something new. And this can even be more valuable 🙂

swemmel Friend

Jules242;28987Geh!!!! Alright, I just want some background color here!! 😮 Its slowly poisoning me. Look at Koniga and this one. If only this had some background color.

Nobody stops you from modifying the template to your own needs. So read some books about css and php and go to work it out for yourself. Obviously you like not simple and clean template and other people don’t like graphic-overloaded templates. It is just a matter of taste. JA has more than 11.000 members and you are one of them. But I don’t think all the members dislike this template, do you? So people stop acting frustrated when 1 template is not what you like and or wait for the next one or try to make it the way you like it.

Just my 2cts.

Kind Regards,
    Peter

Hung Dinh Friend

<em>@starmed 28981 wrote:</em><blockquote>What work, it is a blank template!</blockquote>

I’m confused, what do you blank template?

<blockquote>Geh!!!! Alright, I just want some background color here!! Its slowly poisoning me. Look at Koniga and this one. If only this had some background color.</blockquote>

In fact, the background color is white (#FFFFFF). You can play around with other colors as well

dark helmet Friend

bluecafe;28995You can easily add some background colors by your own.
    Search for the template_css.css file. There you will find #ja_wrapper
    where you can define the background of the whole template.
    Add a line
    background: #eefeff;
    (or whatever color you want) and the background will be colored according to your wishes.
    Just don’t forget the ; at the end of the line.
    Of course then you will soon have to go on an recolor other parts as well 😀

#ja_content is only the middle part if you want to change just that.

Now, if you want to take the chance to make this template an opportunity to learn something about css go on and download the webdeveloper toolbar for firefox
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

Once you have installed it you will find a tab “information” in your browser. There you will find a menu item “display div orders”. Now you can see the how the different parts of your templates are named. Then go to the template_css.css file and look for these names and change the styles according to your wishes by adding background color, background images or whatever you like.

See it positive … even you don’t like it there is still the chance to learn something new. And this can even be more valuable 🙂

JA should bundle bluecafe’s post with all their templates – most of these folks would probably stop complaining and instead say “thanks” for giving them a resource to learn something beneficial.

You folks that are ‘pro’ JA should just stop posting good-spirited responses because the folks that keep complaining about “plain” templates will never stop until they learn some creativity. As posted under every “I hate this template” topic, these templates are provided as a starting point for something greater. Use bluecafe’s tips and you will be amazed how much better your Web site will look after you make some changes.

I have a year membership with Rocketheme, and have used two of their templates. As stated by forgestone, RT templates are basically bloatware and cater to those folks that want a ‘gaming’ Web site, something no one corporate or high-end would put their identity on. If you are looking for a “Wowee” from Battlefield 2 or Neverwinter Night fans instead of running a legitimate, return-customer type business, than the RT template sites are very appealing. As a business owner specializing in graphic design and Web development, I appreciate the JA templates, which give us an opportunity to make significant changes to keep client Web sites clean and easy to navigate.

Try this real life test; turn over a RT template built site to one customer and this JA Iris template to another customer, both for three months, free to make any back or front-end changes they want. I guarantee the RT customer will cause you more grief fixing something they ‘broke’ or they will tell you to turn off all that goofy stuff on their Web site because it has become a novelty. K.I.S.S.

starmed Friend

The compaint was about one template and one template only! No one is questioning the value of JA.

Is having an opinion about a template not allowed? Must we all drink the JA coolaide like some here have?

Dark, what other clubs are providing is irrelevant….it seems as if you have your own agenda unrelated to this specific template issue.

The template is out…people have had their say… lets just drop it.

ikki_83 Friend

the template i perfect for many projects and let customize it… but i’m waiting for the j 1.5 conversion… is sunday now, hung! :D:D

corrado444 Friend

I have to agree with the poster that suggested that the complainers first learned some CSS and second stop whining about the template having no graphics.

For my money, Joomlart does a great job of creating templates that are easy to manage and change. Some I have changed so radically that they are unrecognizable.

Do these people really want to build site that look identical to every other site using the same template? Are you really that adverse to doing some work?

I don’t know if you are using the templates for yourselves or for a client, but either way, you are spending time making a site, why not go all the way and personalize it?

Because of templates such as this one I am able to deliver completely customized sokutions without charging an arm and a leg for a custom template with a unique CSS structure. The way I see it, I could be spending 8 hours building a template framework only to end up with something either similar to what Joomlart would deliver for $30 or with something inferior and not as well tested. For many of my clients it’s the difference between paying me $500 for a template or paying $150 total between the license and my work on it. The end result is often better with the latter (not that I am a lousy CSS designer. In fact I am probably as good as any of the guys that work at Joomlart. I just specialize in doing something different. If I really wnated to be unique, why not write my own CMS then?)

I’ll be the first to agree that building pure CSS templates is not quick or easy, but learning enough CSS to get by and be able to modify an existing template is usually a matter of a few days of trial and error.

So stop the whining or go to rocketheme so that your site can look like another 500 on the web.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Quarten 15 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum