Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Have started uploading articles and categories and have started a new menu. Do not know how to link articles/category to menu to appear on website.

Also need to work on a version which is not published since I cannot do it all at once. how do I do that?

Tom, any suggestions?

p.s how do I start a new thread for each question?

TomC Moderator

Donna:

Hopefully these two video tutorials will provide some easy-to-follow guidance for you . . .

HOW TO CREATE ARTICLES in J2.5 —— http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPjrVuZ87QI

HOW TO CREATE CATEGORIES in J2.5 ——- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkKlfz2URgQ

donnabrown Friend

Thanks Tom. those are the two things I have managed to figure out. I can never actually see them anywhere on my site though. Have also started a new menu in the menu section, but the one showing is still the original template one. How do I change those?
    I created a new menu item and chose either parent or other, which should link them to the category/articles I have already done, but cannot see this anywhere. how do I do that?

TomC Moderator

<em>@donnabrown 311853 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks Tom. those are the two things I have managed to figure out. I can never actually see them anywhere on my site though. Have also started a new menu in the menu section, but the one showing is still the original template one. How do I change those?[/quote]
    Are you wanting this new menu you created to replace your current Main Navigation menu?

Or are you wanting this new menu to display in another position on your site?

donnabrown Friend

when I view my site, it is still the original template. I need to replace those with my menu headings, categories, logos etc. I have made categories, articles and menu w/menu headings, but can’t seem to place them. I have downloaded the positions on the template, but od not know how to place things where I want them.

TomC Moderator

<em>@donnabrown 311861 wrote:</em><blockquote>when I view my site, it is still the original template. I need to replace those with my menu headings, categories, logos etc. I have made categories, articles and menu w/menu headings, but can’t seem to place them..</blockquote>
    Why not simply overwrite/replace the current Main Menu/Nav items with your own – and configure the items accordingly?

donnabrown Friend

Had also thought of that but thought that by doing my own menu, if I could “place” things properly, I would have fewer problems. will try that. Thank you.
    How do I get rid of the extra articles that show and menu items are inexcess? I have fewer items in some of my drop-down menus.

TomC Moderator

<em>@donnabrown 311863 wrote:</em><blockquote>Had also thought of that but thought that by doing my own menu, if I could “place” things properly, I would have fewer problems. will try that. Thank you.
    How do I get rid of the extra articles that show and menu items are inexcess? I have fewer items in some of my drop-down menus.</blockquote>
    You would simply either unpublish those sub-menu items or reconfigure them how you desire.

I realize that much of this may seem daunting at times …. but believe me, once you work through your first few items and get an idea of the logic behind it, you will be able to sail through future modifications easily.

🙂

donnabrown Friend

Have managed to add a new heading in the menu, although not in the place I would have liked it. How do I change that?
    I made a new article “Home Intro”
    It is linked to home category.
    Will not accept new home in menu, so assume that it is the same. Why do I not see it?
    The home page of the sister website I am copying has fewer items than the home page of the template. How do I get rid of everything that I don’t need?:((

TomC Moderator

<em>@donnabrown 311872 wrote:</em><blockquote>Have managed to add a new heading in the menu, although not in the place I would have liked it. How do I change that?
    I made a new article “Home Intro”
    It is linked to home category.
    Will not accept new home in menu, so assume that it is the same. Why do I not see it?</blockquote>

I think the reason you are having some difficulty here is that you need to have one of your menu items be set as “default” – which basically mans that this menu item will be your opening home page when people log into your site. You cannot have two “default” menu items at the same time – only one.

So, if you want this new menu item to be your opening home page, you need to set that new menu item as the “default”

Here is a LINK to a short tutorial that explains how to set a default menu item in Joomla.

<em>@donnabrown 311872 wrote:</em><blockquote>The home page of the sister website I am copying has fewer items than the home page of the template. How do I get rid of everything that I don’t need?:((</blockquote>
    Gonna need a bit more explanation/clarification on this one. :confused:

donnabrown Friend

Sorry. For example in the template the menu item “Joomla” overview has two menu sub menus. I will only ever need one. How do I get rid of that?
    This is using the method of substituting headings etc on the original main menu rather than using my own new one.

TomC Moderator

<em>@donnabrown 311877 wrote:</em><blockquote>Sorry. For example in the template the menu item “Joomla” overview has two menu sub menus. I will only ever need one. How do I get rid of that?[/quote]
    You simply unpublish – or delete/trash altogether – that sub-menu item from within the Menu (within your Menu Manager)

donnabrown Friend

wrote an explanation on another thread. too many threads open for my limited capabilities!
    Need to make a basic choice about menu:
    Have managed to do 2 things:
    add categories to existing main menu
    change my new menu to default menu
    When I do the second and try to see the website updated, it says error 404. what els do I need to do or should I just figure out how to change the main menu. Know I need only one.

TomC Moderator

<em>@donnabrown 311882 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    When I do the second and try to see the website updated, it says error 404. what els do I need to do or should I just figure out how to change the main menu. Know I need only one.</blockquote>
    Send me a private message with site administration login information – and I will take a look and see how you have things configured.

donnabrown Friend

have sent a reply separately. Have tried changing the star marking the homepage to the original main menu Home. Guess that means I will have to change this menu and not do an alternative… might be easier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 12 years, 1 month ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum