Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Is there a way to change the article links in the displayed sidenews articles so they go to different articles?

Phill Moderator

Sorry, that feature is not available with this extension. It simply pulls the articles from the chosen category and will link to those.

rud0lph Friend

Thanks. Can the links be removed so the article displayed shows the title, headline and image, but the link to the article is not active.

Phill Moderator

Sure but you will need to modify a little code.
    Open modules>mod_jasidenews>tmpl>sidenews_content.php and remove the bit of code highlighted in red below.

<div class="ja-sidenews" <?php echo $onclick ;?> style="display:none; height:<?php echo $height;?>px" >
    <?php echo $helper->renderImage ($item, $params, $descMaxChars, $iwidth, $iheight ); ?>
    <div class="ja-slidenews-cover" style="height:<?php echo $height;?>px;">
    <div class="ja-opacity" style=" <?php echo $bgcolor;?>;height:<?php echo $height;?>px;"></div>
    <div class="ja-sidenews-display">
    <div class="ja-sidenews-desc" style="<?php echo $color; ?>;">

Phill Moderator

Nope. Still not working

<blockquote>Sure but you will need to modify a little code.
    Open modules>mod_jasidenews>tmpl>sidenews_content.php and remove the bit of code highlighted in red below.

</blockquote>

[PHP]<div class=”ja-sidenews” <?php echo $onclick ;?> style=”display:none; height:<?php echo $height;?>px” >
    <?php echo $helper->renderImage ($item, $params, $descMaxChars, $iwidth, $iheight ); ?>
    <div class=”ja-slidenews-cover” style=”height:<?php echo $height;?>px;”>
    <div class=”ja-opacity” style=” <?php echo $bgcolor;?>;height:<?php echo $height;?>px;”></div>
    <div class=”ja-sidenews-display”>
    <div class=”ja-sidenews-desc” style=”<?php echo $color; ?>;”>[/PHP]

Remove this bit from the block above

[PHP]<?php echo $onclick ;?>[/PHP]

rud0lph Friend

Thanks much for your help. I think I got it working the way I need it, based on your info. Again, many thanks!

Phill Moderator

Hmm, for some reason the forum will not let me post the code. I will speak to the forum admin and see if they can get this fixed. In the mean time drop me a PM and I will send you the code.

Many thanks to Arvind for fixing the code.

James Weston Friend

Phil,

Just saw this post which half solved one of my problems as I liked the function of the sidenews display but did not want it clicking through to an article.

Is there a way to take it a stage further and ad some code that would mean that when you clicked on one of the sidenews boxes http://www.myjakartaconcierge.com/index.php?lang=en it clicked through to the link that had been attached to the photo and the text?

Jim

<em>@phill luckhurst 296240 wrote:</em><blockquote>Nope. Still not working

[PHP]<div class=”ja-sidenews” <?php echo $onclick ;?> style=”display:none; height:<?php echo $height;?>px” >
    <div class=”ja-slidenews-cover” style=”height:<?php echo $height;?>px;”>
    <div class=”ja-opacity” style=” <?php echo $bgcolor;?>;height:<?php echo $height;?>px;”></div>
    <div class=”ja-sidenews-display”>
    <div class=”ja-sidenews-desc” style=”<?php echo $color; ?>;”>[/PHP]

Remove this bit from the block above

[PHP]<?php echo $onclick ;?>[/PHP]</blockquote>

rud0lph Friend

I could use that too!. Then I could make the side news module windows link to menus.

James Weston Friend

Hi Rudolph, that is my aim as well. I have put a link on the image and the text in the article so am hoping we can find some code that will link the links. Jim

James Weston Friend

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this?

Jim

<em>@origomedia 298689 wrote:</em><blockquote>Phil,

Just saw this post which half solved one of my problems as I liked the function of the sidenews display but did not want it clicking through to an article.

Is there a way to take it a stage further and ad some code that would mean that when you clicked on one of the sidenews boxes http://www.myjakartaconcierge.com/index.php?lang=en it clicked through to the link that had been attached to the photo and the text?

Jim</blockquote>

wmwrick Friend

Bump…could really use a solution that linked the slidenews to a menu item.

Found this which might help…

<blockquote>I harcoded workaround in module code, its not optimized solutions but its works and maybe helps someone:

in file /modules/mod_jasidenews/helper.php line 206 function getLink() add lines before original return

$alias = “”; // input published menu alias name, eg. about-us
    $part = explode(“:”, $item->slug);
    return “index.php/” . $alias . “/” . $part[0] . “-” . $part[1] . “.html”;

JA Side News article url will looks like index.php/about-us/id-article-alias-name.html </blockquote>

placidpete Friend

I also like this suggestion but I’d like to use sidenews functionality on the home page to link to selected products in Joomshopping rather than an articles category.

Any ideas if the code can be modified to do this?

Thanks

Phill Moderator

The sidenews module was not really designed to do that. It probably could be done but you would need to code it yourself or hire a freelancer to write the new code. It shouldn’t take long but only if the coder was familiar with Joomshopping.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Phill 11 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum