Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I am installing my joomla..using QUICK INSTALLER that include Teline III. My question is…
    How i can change my joomla username? because the default is username = admin

prakash Friend

For that first login to the administrator panel using admin>password.

Then site>user manager

You will get administrator click on that

new screen opens
    there you can change the username & password

joeflynn Friend

It is a little more complicated that this;
    Presuming that you are in the admin section, go to Users
    1. Create a new user with the name that you want to use – assign it as Superuser.
    2. Log out and Log back in as the newly made user.
    3. Edit admin, make it something besides Superuser – Save
    4. Delete Admin account

prakash Friend

Hi,

Yes the method that you have mentioned holds good if you want to create a new user.

The above post was for modifying the admin to something else.

joeflynn Friend

For security sake, you don’t want to just change the admin to some other name. You must kill the original admin completely.

The reason? Because the user id will be the same, because that is the same number as every other beginning Joomla admin on every installation. So, if one is getting hit by a php scriptkitty, user62 is going to be a target. Just make it disappear. Kill User 62.

Always change the SuperUser password account in the way described. Weak security for one, is weak security for us all. If someone out there gets broken into because of weak security, when it makes the news my associates will all be asking me, “Hey – aren’t we using Joomla? I heard it was insecure. Should we be looking at something else?”

Joomla 1.6 changes this. No more 62. No more auto-generated account named admin. But for now, this is the way to do it. </rant>

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  joeflynn 14 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum