Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

MIME/Content type is incorrectly set for RSS feed when cache mode is enabled.

For example when using the syndication feeds module to put RSS links on a page (i.e. with a link such as <my category blog page>?format=feed&type=rss). The link works fine when cache mode is disabled. When cache mode is enabled, works on first request. Subsequent requests do not work (i.e. when using the cached content) since the content type is set to ‘text/html’ by default rather than ‘application/xhtml+xml’ or any type suitable for RSS feed. When I use JAT3 clean cache it works first time again then fails.

Obviously I do not want to turn off caching. If there is a workaround then great. I could not see a way of excluding feed rendering from caching. If there is a fault I am not clear as to whether this is with the JAT3 Plug-in (I am using version 1.4.0) or Joomla 1.7 itself.

Can anybody help?

michelsmith Friend

I don’t know that it is critical to clear up – the browsers apparently don’t care that the mime type doesn’t match the content but it’s probably something you should be aware of.

mtre Friend

<em>@michelsmith 283232 wrote:</em><blockquote>I don’t know that it is critical to clear up – the browsers apparently don’t care that the mime type doesn’t match the content but it’s probably something you should be aware of. </blockquote>

Not sure what you mean by don’t mind. Let me explain further what actually happens. I’ve tested using FF8 and IE9 and get the same response.

The usual response to selecting an RSS link is to show the feed and offer to subscribe to the feed. This is what happens on the first request.

On subsequent requests (i.e. with the cached page and type text/html) I do not get this. Just some of the text content from the XML tags with no formatting. Pretty much unreadable and certainly not offering any links to subscribe to this feed.

This is obviously very confusing for anyone using the site.

On Firefox if you select the RSS feed subscription button from the navigation toolbar, then the RSS subscription will work correctly (it uses the details in the html header, and does not seem to get tripped up by the incorrect type if cached). On IE you have a similar option but have to go to the command bar, tools, feed discovery which will also work.

This is a workaround if you know to look here (or if this is the normal way you subscribe to feeds), but most people will just follow a syndication/rss link presented on the page, see it return junk and give up.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mtre 12 years, 5 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum