Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I’ve changed the button backgrounds at the top of the site (main nav bar) to pngs and the iepngfix.htc does not seem to pick up on them. Ie6 returns blue boxes around the tabs.

How can I use pngs as the backgrounds for the main nav bar (instead of gifs) and have them render properly in ie6?

guysmiley Friend

I began this thread 1 week ago and have worked hard on this issue but made very little progress.

I’ve learned that the reason iepnfix does not pick up on these tab images (i.e. tab-right.png) is because iepngfix does not affect images called in the css files.

I’ve also tried the AlphaImagerLoader and had no success because it needs to be wrapped in a <div> (not the way splitmenu is created in Hedera). This would require a re-make of the menu system.

Does ANYONE have any suggestions for switching the tabs from gifs to pngs? :confused:

kashxo Friend

Hi, guysmiley
    Please provide me your live URL, I will check the problem for you

guysmiley Friend

Hi Kashxo,

Many thanks. I pm’d you the livesite.

instantinlaw Friend

I found another fix that is susposed to work with png images in css. I have not tried it myself, so if it works please post your results here so everyone can benefit.
    http://www.twinhelix.com/css/iepngfix/
    Good luck!

guysmiley Friend

Hi Bill,

Yes, thanks, I’m aware of the TwinHelix fix. I tried this a while back but couldn’t get the height call to work.

I just spent 5 min trying to upload an image to show you the result but the forum says (‘upload failed’)… I tried several image types – something must be messed up on the server.

At any rate, with the pngfix htc from TwinHelix the tab-right.png appears with both bars (there’s a top and a bottom bar for this image file) and they get squished together so that combined they have a height of roughly 20px (looks awful).

instantinlaw Friend

Hi
    EDIT
    Never mind that statement, it may be easier said than done.
    There must be a way to get the height to work. Menalto is a wiz at CSS. Maybe you could PM him?

guysmiley Friend

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the continued effort…

You’ll notice the header has a ‘shwoop’ on the left that dips below the buttons. This requires that the buttons be transparent since the background is not consistent across the ‘shwoop’.

instantinlaw Friend

Hi
    Yes I did, and thats why I edited my last statement.
    If you can get Menalto involved in this I am sure you will get it solved.

guysmiley Friend

Thanks, Bill.

I’ll give him a shot.

guysmiley Friend

For all those interested in changing buttons from pngs to gifs, this proved impossible. Despite a 45 min chat with a developer at Joomlart, the restriction comes in the way splitmenu handles the tab-right.gif. Because is is positioned ‘right’ in the css, and iepngfix does not handles background positioning, the process fails.

To resolve the issue, I ended up creating a separate style sheet for ie6 and calling gifs in there while leaving pngs as the default for all other browsers. Since the png files look much smoother and provide better transparency, things worked out much nicer. See attached for the results.

Cheers,
    gs

1. tabs_as_gifsie6
    2. tabs_as_pngs
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  guysmiley 16 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum