Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Which is the best way to back up my sites?

I have been using JoomCloner and recently Joompack but seem to be getting lots of bad files.

What do you Joomlart Guys use when developing your templates?

bennitos Friend

<em>@jimmer 108631 wrote:</em><blockquote>Which is the best way to back up my sites?

I have been using JoomCloner and recently Joompack but seem to be getting lots of bad files.

What do you Joomlart Guys use when developing your templates?</blockquote>

I mostly use JoomlaPack, but if joomlacloner and joomlapack are both getting a lot of bad files then it might be better to find the cause for the bad files instead of looking for a different backup method.

As both you used are really good actually.

jimmer Friend

<em>@bennitos 108632 wrote:</em><blockquote>I mostly use JoomlaPack, but if joomlacloner and joomlapack are both getting a lot of bad files then it might be better to find the cause for the bad files instead of looking for a different backup method.

As both you used are really good actually.</blockquote>

I am looking into my settings today. So hopefully it is just something I have overlooked.:((

SP Media Friend

JoomlaPack is great. I personally find it easier to download an sql dump and file structure via putty (requires root access).

wooohanetworks Friend

When you have a server or vServer make backups on the ununsed space of your system. There are several tools you can install on your server directly. Especially when your site is larger than just a few megabytes or even above 1GB. I tried to make backups with at least two Joomla components, that both broke down on the size of the MySQL DB alone. Those are built to handle smaller sites and do it without problems. As example, one of my sites, a shop is 6,5GB on the server and app. 200MB MySQL DB, clean, no double entries or garbage files that often fill up DB and storage. To figure out certain setting of those Joomla tools may take longer than using server recourses.

When you have root access on a server or vServer try REOBack, seems it is very good, BUT I guess you do not even need root access, it also works via FTP:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=33073

A simple MySQL Backuptool for Joomla is “Lazy Backup”, it makes a backup of the SQL, and sends it as zip via email to your emailaddress daily, also x times daily, hourly etc. in version 2. One time install, one time configuration, sends you a new backup everyday..automatically, so “Lazy Backup”….;) http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-&-security/backup/4445/details

SP Media Friend

Most of those will fail due to scripts having a maximum execution time in place. If you’re backing up your data, never back it up on the same drive. It defies the point backing it up on the same drive. If you back it up back it up on your own computer, or another server within the clustered environment if you’re set that way, or onto an in house storage system you save yourself a lot of hassle.

The main problems with sites are drive failures, and less so corrupt databases, or the server, or host just going offline.

Also, it’s not exactly a good idea emailing yourself the backup files. If large, they’ll cripple your mail server.

wooohanetworks Friend

Lazy Backup is good as the others for Joomla, for normal sites and DB sizes indeed. Sounds like a myth to backup only on other servers, infact I do not do backups, my host does those automatically and daily, just some suggestion so to say…;)

At least it sounds like a myth to sell more webspace….people are ambitious to sell a lot more than needed, in any business. At least I hope my host does real backups, I still did not need to check, not a live site yet.

That is why I will get into REOBack soon and to make a simple SQL Dumb daily will not affect much of my time…;)

SP Media Friend

If your server dies, you lose your data. If your host finds themselves shutting down, you lose your data.

Most hosts may not back up the server daily. It’s something you need to check. They often do it weekly instead. Not taking any backups is as wreckless as backing up on your own server.

wooohanetworks Friend

I may say my host will never shut down, they operate two server centers in differents regions of the country, operate all over Europe and are the largest host here. They make mirror backups of all servers daily. Unless the company does not go bancrupt, what it will probably never, unless their takeover of Lycos becomes a pitfall, but all Lycos customers get new servers from theme in March this year, I may be with the right host…;) called Strato. Wonder when they head over to the USA and buy up GoDaddy plus Namecheap.com???:D http://www.strato.com

But you are actually right, it has something to backup the server, problem by now is, it is over 6GB of storage and what to do? It would take hours daily so I must check back with REOBack soon and see what I can do. I can check all the daily backups in my account area, they list them for the customer to certify.

In general, my host just upgraded my server from 10GB to 140GB without giving me notice about it, but this is what they always do as soon the storage limit is reached… When they charge me like an horrendous amount for this, I should let a lawyer speak for me maybe….as it is quite large step from 10GB to 140GB, to upgrade to like 25GB would have made it all the way or I could get a dedicated server with that storage and not a simple vServer.;)

jimmer Friend

<em>@wooohanetworks 108817 wrote:</em><blockquote>When you have a server or vServer make backups on the ununsed space of your system. There are several tools you can install on your server directly. Especially when your site is larger than just a few megabytes or even above 1GB. I tried to make backups with at least two Joomla components, that both broke down on the size of the MySQL DB alone. Those are built to handle smaller sites and do it without problems. As example, one of my sites, a shop is 6,5GB on the server and app. 200MB MySQL DB, clean, no double entries or garbage files that often fill up DB and storage. To figure out certain setting of those Joomla tools may take longer than using server recourses.

When you have root access on a server or vServer try REOBack, seems it is very good, BUT I guess you do not even need root access, it also works via FTP:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=33073

A simple MySQL Backuptool for Joomla is “Lazy Backup”, it makes a backup of the SQL, and sends it as zip via email to your emailaddress daily, also x times daily, hourly etc. in version 2. One time install, one time configuration, sends you a new backup everyday..automatically, so “Lazy Backup”….;) http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-&-security/backup/4445/details</blockquote>

<em>@spmedia 108819 wrote:</em><blockquote>Most of those will fail due to scripts having a maximum execution time in place. If you’re backing up your data, never back it up on the same drive. It defies the point backing it up on the same drive. If you back it up back it up on your own computer, or another server within the clustered environment if you’re set that way, or onto an in house storage system you save yourself a lot of hassle.

The main problems with sites are drive failures, and less so corrupt databases, or the server, or host just going offline.

Also, it’s not exactly a good idea emailing yourself the backup files. If large, they’ll cripple your mail server.</blockquote>

Thanks for the link….

I usually do a sql and site backup. I have a few sites in access of 1.5 GB so I will try the new link. I usually do monthly backups and for the real busy sites I do weekly backups. I download to my desktop then to I have another computer where I store strickly website info…So I have two copies on hand at all times. You can never be to safe.

😀

reachthesky Friend

Yeah man, joomlapack and other joomla backup solutions are great, however, you must probably find problems with max execution time. however doing a sql dum[ and site backup is the best way if you are familiar with it.

good luck

Sherlock Friend

Hi biiekz1e3140,

I believe by turning off the css function could not have caused such.

You should have asked the company to know exactly the directory where most of your files coming from, I suspect it’s the cache folder.

You can try to remove files under this folder to see whether or not it helps 🙂 . If your extension (e.x jat3 plugin) is on an old version you should upgrade them to the latest version as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sherlock 11 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum