Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I’m trying to assign an exiting module position to a position in a layout block. The module position is added, but not saved. Even the default template position won’t be retained after saving.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0cmcgvhsz8b5c6/Screenshot%202016-02-21%2018.07.28.png?dl=0

pavit Moderator

Hi there

That position is defined in /templates/ja_nex_t3/tpls/blocks/top-header.php file as you can see from my image below, if you want to change it with another position you can edit top-header.php file and declare position name inside it

example

<?php if ($this->countModules(‘yourpositionname’)) : ?>

<div id="languageswitcher-block" class="languageswitcher-block pull-left _c(‘yourpositionname’) ?>”>
    <jdoc:include type="modules" name="_p(‘yourpositionname’) ?>” style=”raw” />

1. Screenshot_3-5
    2. Screenshot_4-5
    adrienne pitman Friend

So, module positions cannot be assigned from the admin interface of the template layout, although it looks like a built-in feature. In the end one must hard code this stuff on files directly. Not that i mind much, but many folks with no programming experience may.

adrienne pitman Friend

Btw, it is possible to switch the module position value to None. Moreover, occasionally it is even possible to assign a module position. However, not in a consistent manner.

In the screenshot below you can see that I’ve taken out a few module positions and even added a new one, always using the admin interface (after creating the module position in the template).

I believe that some bug in the template management interface is preventing changes to the layout from being saved consistently.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fpgkgyyfqmj6p6/Screenshot%202016-02-22%2013.51.58.png?dl=0

[EDIT]
    Last but not least, it is not relevant to the issue I have reported if the position is stated in the block file or not, as even the default languageswitcherload position won’t be saved where it originally belongs.

Ninja Lead Moderator

In this JA Nex template has both positions with the same name, see the screenshot and you can not assign other module into languageswitcherload position.

But you can try to use this way to change languageswitcherload position from templates/ja_nex_t3/tpls/blocks/header.php file to other position name

from

<?php if ($this->countModules('languageswitcherload')) : ?>
        <!-- Language Switcher -->  
        <div id="languageswitcher-block" class="languageswitcher-block pull-left <?php $this->_c('languageswitcherload') ?>">
            <jdoc:include type="modules" name="<?php $this->_p('languageswitcherload') ?>" style="raw" />
        </div>
        <!-- // Language Switcher -->  
    <?php endif ?>

to

<?php if ($this->countModules('new_position')) : ?>
        <!-- new_position -->  
        <div id="languageswitcher-block" class="languageswitcher-block pull-left <?php $this->_c('new_position') ?>">
            <jdoc:include type="modules" name="<?php $this->_p('new_position') ?>" style="raw" />
        </div>
        <!-- // new_position -->  
    <?php endif ?>

Now, you can go back template manager and assign it with other module if you want. Let me know if it helps

1. Screen-Shot-2016-02-23-at-13.55.40
    adrienne pitman Friend

There appears to be a misunderstanding. The problem I’m facing is that no changes to the layout get saved in the template admin interface, no mtatter what postion is chosen. Even when I assign the default position to its default placement on the layout, saving doesn’t work.

adriennepitman Friend

Please can you assign this a high priority – we are delaying our launch for the resolution and running out of time.

Thanks,

A. Pitman

adrienne pitman Friend

Quick follow-up-
    I’ve changed templates/ja_nex_t3/tpls/blocks/top-header.php to include head-social and now it seems to be saving the position as intended.
    In any event, the layout configuration interface is very misleading, in that it creates the illusion that module positions can be freely assigned to any layout placement without tinkering with code. Likely a Joomla caveat, rather than T3 specific.

Thank you,

Ninja Lead Moderator

Hi

I got your point but the problem is you’re trying to assign one position (head-social position) in 2 different blocks in the same page, of course, this doesn’t make senses and impossible. In one page, one position should be assigned to only one place.

I changed head-social position into top-header.php file to head-social-1 position, please have a look at my highlight in the screenshot.

Now, you can assign another position name on your template style if you want.

1. Screen-Shot-2016-02-24-at-12.18.30
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ninja Lead 8 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum