Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

This is what my programmer (They’re having problems) told me to ask, it’s a quote.

“just tell them,we can not edit these files.i got the message Access denied. r files read only?”

Any help would be appreciated, or direction on where to get help w/ Xenia

TomC Moderator

<em>@vkhiga 17304 wrote:</em><blockquote>This is what my programmer (They’re having problems) told me to ask, it’s a quote.

“just tell them,we can not edit these files.i got the message Access denied. r files read only?”

Any help would be appreciated, or direction on where to get help w/ Xenia</blockquote>

Which files are they trying to edit – and how are they trying to access them?

ErikThorsen Friend

If this is on your server, you need to make sure the files are set up with the right ownership and chmod them to either 755 or 777 ( change them back after necessary changes are done )

I cannot see any other solution than this. If you are hosting this on a server you might have to contact your host to fix this. Did you upload the template through the Joomla template uploader or through ftp?

vkhiga Friend

I think they are trying to FTP

vkhiga Friend

We r not using ftp ,we have setup of Joomla in our local server of Linux and getting the problem of access denied.
    any help?

vkhiga Friend

I can not even rename the files,delete the files..copy the files ..nothing.
    It says Access denied.They r read only.When i try to change the attributes..it says access denied.

Thanks
    Taru

instantinlaw Friend

Hi it sounds like you have a problem with your server. Have you tried to edit the template or CSS in the Joomla admin Site>Template Manager>Site Templates? Also did you check to see if the Make unwriteable after saving is unchecked?
    Also, try to ftp into the site and chmod the files to 755 or 777. If using dreamweaver connect to the remote files, right click the file you want to change and select change permissions, then check all the boxes to make it 777 then click ok or save.

vkhiga Friend

i can edit the files from Joomla admin but not directly to php files bcoz i have to edit the files that can not be accesible from Joomla admin.
    i can not rename the file even ..i tried to change the attributes too but it says Access denied.
    i did not try using dreamweaver ..let me check their and let u know..

thanks
    Taru

Michael Casha Friend

It’s a permission error, you’ll need to ask your hosting company to fix it.

However, as it appears to be your own server I’m not sure how exactly to do it but here’s my cheat 😛
    Rename the joomlart template’s folder to xxx2, so if you have /joomla/templates/ja_xenia, rename to /joomla/templates/ja_xenia2.. then, create a new folder called joomla/templates/ja_xenia and copy all the files from the number 2 folder to the number 1 folder.. that should hopefully work.

ErikThorsen Friend

Yes, as MiCCAS says, it is an ownership issue. Most likely the files are now owned by “nobody”. Which isn’t good for ftp or any changes as you are logged on as a user with username and password and you can only change those files with corresponding username. In other words, the files need the same username as your ftp username in order to be able to modify them.

vkhiga Friend

Thanks to Erik and Miccas,my problem is fixed.

Michael Casha Friend

<em>@vkhiga 17453 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thanks to Erik and Miccas,my problem is fixed.</blockquote>
    YAY, well done mate. And thanks Erik! 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Casha 17 years ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum