Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Dear Ja-team,

I try to use a three column layout on the frontpage. Unfortunately the columns have different widths. The leftmost column is narrower than the other two. Could someone test it with three columns and confirm this as a bug or propose a solution.

My settings are: three columns in the main content area together with one sidebar.

Regardless of such small problems I have to say that this is a really versatile template and to me versatility is the most important feature of template club products. 🙂

Bernhard

Sherlock Friend

Hi bernhar !
    This is difficult problem , because if you change to three columns you must edit all css file , background images, ….

bernhar Friend

Hi hainn84,

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. What do you mean by “edit all css file, background images”? There are no background images involved as far as I can see.
    Btw. this is a horrible table-based layout. Is this a Joomla problem or a template problem?
    Would be interesting to see an example of a Joomla site using three columns without such a problem.

Bernhard

bernhar Friend

Any news here? I think this is a problem of the template and not of joomla itself. Right now the template is unusable for me with a three column frontpage. Could one of the developers be so kind and solve this problem or explain how to do it.

Thanks, Bernhard

Menalto Friend

The first thing you should do i to post your url and/or screenshot with the problems

bernhar Friend

Unfortunately I cannot show the site because it is on a intranet server right now. But it is very easy to reproduce. Just take a fresh install and choose 3 columns for the frontpage and you will see the different widths of the columns. Does your posting imply that you did this without seeing the problem?

Menalto Friend

I am just refering to the support rules:
    <blockquote>III. Support Rules (If you want to get support, please read instructions below so that we can help better)

1. Provide your website URL?
    The reason that we ask for this is so we can check your site for the specific description of the error you get.

2. Provide information about components/modules/mambots installed?
    There are many components/modules/mambots that conflict with a script or breaks the template, and this errors is not template specific and its easier for us to try to solve the problem if we know what you have installed.

3. Which version of Joomla do you use?
    Time changes, and so does Joomla. There have been many changes since the beginning, and the templates are built and tested for the latest one.

4. Have you made any modifications to the template?
    This is the most important answer.
    Please be as specific as you can on this point, you don’t need to tell the whole process, but “I added two new modules in footer” would be enough.
    </blockquote>
    So the more info you can give us the better can we help you:)

bernhar Friend

Ok, I understand. So I try:

1. No URL right now
    2. no components, modules, mambots involved, just a fresh install with the demo content
    3. Joomla 1.5.3 (latest)
    4. NO!

kashxo Friend

Hello bernhar,
    Please provide us a screenshot if possible. And please mark on the screenshot where you found that bug.
    Thank you

bernhar Friend

Finally I have a screenshot. It is taken in mozilla´s edit mode to see the borders of the table.
    As you can see the leftmost column is narrower than the other columns.

1. iolite_three_columns
    Sherlock Friend

Hi bernhar !
    You can fix it following way below :
    Open template.css file in templates/ja_iolite/css folder , find following code section at about line 194 :

.column_separator {
    padding:0pt 25px;
    }

change to :

.column_separator {
    padding:0pt 5px;
    }

bernhar Friend

Thank you hainn84!
    your method reduces the width of the separator but there are several problems with this approach:

1. The 5px padding does still not produce columns of equal width. The closest to equality I can get is when I reduce it to 0px. If I do this, there is still a small difference of 1px in width but it might be acceptable.

2. Unfortunately reducing the separator destroys the design because now there is no space between the columns which is unacceptable.

So I am still facing the problem of how to get three columns of equal width with some separating space.
    Any further ideas?

Bernhard

bernhar Friend

I think I found a possible solution! Instead of separator padding on both sides I tried the following with padding only on the left side:

.column_separator {
    padding:0 0 0 25px;
    }

Though I am unable to understand exactly why, this produces columns of almost equal width here. Maybe this should be tested by the developer and integrated in a future update if it is really valid.

Bernhard

Sherlock Friend

Hi bernhar !
    thank you very much .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sherlock 15 years, 10 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum