Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

What can I say? JoomlArt once again pulls a rabbit out of the hat with this wonderful work of art and technical savvy!

When I first downloaded JA_Wall from the downloads area, I ended up with a corrupted archive, and nearly lost my mind because I couldn’t get the quickstart to work. Of course, being the dumbass I am, I never checked on the size of the files I downloaded, and made myself feel like an idiot! Once I plugged in my cable for direct ethernet, and got a good download, I installed “Wally” on the latest Mac OS X Mountain Lion Server (Apple’s next piece of art) without a hitch. When I opened up my browser and looked at Wally, I experienced an iGasm like never before. This new platform is without a doubt going to take the web by storm, and Joomla should experience a much greater userbase because of me, “Wally.”

I’m not yet used to the nuances of administering Wally, but it looks pretty straight forward, and the conceptual implementation has enormous potential. If “you” would like to experience an “iGasm” like, better than sex, you should get JA Wall. Its potential is endless, and the variability and extensibility should be equally as astounding.

A few cons about JA Wall however, and these are:

The logo is so small that you may have to use an “acronym” logo, but that’s not too bad. The classic and default themes also lak an image logo, and the logo text is located in the index.php file. The documentation––which is included with your JA Wall purchase and exists in the quickstart––was very well done and detailed enough for even a beginner webmaster to get a hold on. On both my Mountain Lion Server install, as well as my Hostgator account, JA Wall runs a bit slower than many of us are used to, but it’s obviously processing an enormous amount of data that no other “out of the box” template has to manage. As I looked through the code I felt like a 1st grader and realized that I will have to learn coding a little more in depth to keep up with this baby.

I can only hope that in the future “themes” for this gorgeous piece of art, that the JA Team deploys a little more creativity, in that, I would be disappointed if you all didn’t get a little brave and give us even more iGasms with alternate looks and layouts.

I will be testing Wally on my new iPad––if it ever gets here––as well as my iPhone, to see just how well this baby handles real world situations.

Oh, and by the way JoomlArt, please develop a “multi-column” menu module so I can have a two or three column floating menu in Wally.

Great work by JoomlArt and all its supporting developers, and like everything else in tech, you can expect everyone else to follow suit after everyone see’s this future, dubbed web 3.0.

Kudos JA, and best of luck with the “One Off” solutions you may offer in the future.

Walt

tfosnom Friend

/*mild humourous sarcasm on —*/

Hey great to see an unbiased review of all things Apple, oops, reading again I saw some references to Ja Wall 😉

<blockquote>The documentation––which is included with your JA Wall purchase and exists in the quickstart––was very well done and detailed enough </blockquote>

Please point me to this mysterious detailed enoughand very well done documentation, the included web blog posts that highlight the features of Ja Wall could not in any stretch of the imagination be called documentation; detailed or otherwise 🙂 if the documentation was detailed and well written it would anticipate developers wanting to modify the text logo and tell you where it lives?

I hope Steve Jobs left you money in his will for all your product advertising, Bill has already paid me for the several Mid range Sandy Bridge powered ikiller systems with more memory, better graphics and costing 1000s less I have, Google on the other hand are not so forthcoming on both my Samsung Galaxy Nexus ICS phone or my generic 200 dollar ICS 10.1 android epad running all the great apps.

As for any computer type device giving the owner orgasms,aren’t there clinics available for that or jail sentences etc.:D

/*mild humourous sarcasm off —*/

Blessings Shannon

coalition Friend

<em>@tfosnom 320419 wrote:</em><blockquote>/*mild humourous sarcasm on —*/

I hope Steve Jobs left you money in his will for all your product advertising, Bill has already paid me for the several Mid range Sandy Bridge powered ikiller systems with more memory, better graphics and costing 1000s less I have, Google on the other hand are not so forthcoming on both my Samsung Galaxy Nexus ICS phone or my generic 200 dollar ICS 10.1 android epad running all the great apps.

</blockquote>

Steve left me no money, but he did send me a card with his picture on it. :/ All I had to pay was shipping and handling. :-[

<em>@tfosnom 320419 wrote:</em><blockquote>

As for any computer type device giving the owner orgasms,aren’t there clinics available for that or jail sentences etc.:D

</blockquote>

Indeed there are clinics… I went to one and met my wife there! And yes! There are jail sentences, but only for someone who messes with any iThingy too early in life. I never used the word “orgasm” btw, it was iGasm, which doesn’t require towels or cleanup.

coalition Friend

I was being kind of sarcastic about the documentation, in a mild way.

tfosnom Friend

<em>@coalition 320500 wrote:</em><blockquote>Steve left me no money, but he did send me a card with his picture on it. :/ All I had to pay was shipping and handling. :-[ </blockquote> and subcribe to the ‘bonjour’ service (phone home) that comes with anything Apple.

<blockquote> Indeed there are clinics… I went to one and met my wife there! And yes! There are jail sentences, but only for someone who messes with any iThingy too early in life. I never used the word “orgasm” btw, it was iGasm, which doesn’t require towels or cleanup.</blockquote> My bad, I translated the word iGasm for something generic that non apple users would associate with, though I do like your cautionary note re: early adoption of iThingies, Look I AM impresssed, you have a Wife & Apple products, I think you must be wealthy, JA! charge this man double from now on.:D

I didn’t catch you own mild sarcasm, probably always thought having an apple product range and frequenting the more upmarket Cafe latte places, one would not have developed a sarcastic mind, not trendy enough LOL.

Great to share some friendly banter, Wal
    Blessings Shannon

ibewguy Friend

Astounding work! I am absolutely blown away by their work!! All I can say is – wow!

coalition Friend

TIP: If you’ve begun a site with the JA Wall Quickstart, I would recommend deleting all of it content early on, repairing your DB tables with either phpMyAdmin, or Akeeba’s AdminTools. You may notice that the quickstart sample content ordering numbers do not exit. Most are “0”. Another piece of advice is that I suggest you open each category, com_content, and K2, and check the Blog layout settings. Something is wrong there, in that, blog layouts are not properly defined in the quickstart. These problems may all be a result of the quickstart not installing the demo content on a hostgator.com shared account, forcing me to first install it in MAMP, installing akeeba backup, doing a backup, then transfering the backup and installing with kickstart on the hostgator account. It’s worth it though, Wall is the beginning of a new era for many joomlers. I think JA would be better off making an empty quickstart and instructing customers to simply import the content via feedgator.

Walt.

TomC Moderator

<em>@coalition 320384 wrote:</em><blockquote>
    A few cons about JA Wall however, and these are . . . . </blockquote>

by “cons,” you meant to say “constructive criticisms” – right? 😎

<em>@coalition 320384 wrote:</em><blockquote>

The logo is so small that you may have to use an “acronym” logo, but that’s not too bad. The classic and default themes also lak an image logo, and the logo text is located in the index.php file.[/quote]
    Just a discussionary – and yes, constructive – thought . . .

Would you not consider the “stock/base” logo that comes with the template as merely a “jumping off point” for visualization purposes – from which the individual user/developer will be modifying with his/her own logo? Of course, depending on the size of the person’s logo, some height/width modifications of the relative CSS may be needed . . . but this is pretty much a “usual and customary” issue for most any base/starting-point template, no?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  TomC 11 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum