Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I have been trying to find a way to place a horizontal “Hot Topic” module that will span the whole width of th e page — just below the “Magazine Menu” — but cannot any of the existing “module positions” that will allow me to do that.

I tried these positions:

mootabs

to look for the positions, but they do not work.

I tried to look for some positions:

http://mysite.com//index.php?tp=1

but could not find thesee positions:

mootabs

but cannot find them listed. How come?

If the above are not the correct places to place the “horizontal Hot Topic” module, how can this be achieved?

Thanks.

Cornelio

Sherlock Friend

Hi cgc0202 !
    you can add new position for it following below :
    Open index.php file in templates/ja_teline_ii folder , find following code section at about line 148 :

<?php if ($hasSubnav) { ?>
    <div id="ja-subnavwrap">
    <div id="ja-subnav" class="clearfix">
    <?php $jamenu->genMenu (1,1); ?>
    </div>
    </div>
    <?php } ?>
    <!-- END: MAIN NAVIGATION -->

change to :

<div id="ja-subnavwrap">
    </div>
    </div>
    <?php } ?>
    <div id="ja-hottopicwrap">
    <div id="ja-hottopic">
    <!-- load module for hot topic -->
    </div>
    </div>

continue , open template.css file in templates/ja_teline_ii/css folder add following code section to it :

#ja-hottopicwrap {
    clear:both;
    margin:0 auto;
    width:970px;
    }

cgc0202 Friend

Thanks Hainn,

I did everything as you instructed, but something is missing in your instruction.

What I was expecting is that after doing the modifications you instructed, and performed these:

First Step: Create a copy of Hot Topic

administrator => Extensions => Module Manager => highlight and make a copy of Hot Topic => rename to Hot Topic 2

Second Step: Place Hot Topic2 in new position module created

Hot Topic 2 => Click to edit => Place in new Position Module created

Problem: There is no New Position module found in the list of Position Modules;

After following your instructions, what I was expecting was that a “new position module” with a new name to appear in the “Positions modules” list when I access the Module manager, so that when I perform the following these:

Drop down menu of list of position modules in Modules manager

• banner
    • breadcrumb
    • footer
    • etc <– What more is needed so that after changing the index.php and template.css — as you instructed — a New Position module will appear here or elsewhere in this “Position modules” list ???
    • left
    • right
    • etc
    • left
    • user 1
    • to
    • user 9

I can place the new Hot Topic 2 between the Magazine menu and the Main body of the page.

Something else is missing in your instructions, for the above to be completed.

Cornelio

Note:
    I will send you a link of a new Demo site I created, with you having Administrator privileges (backend) and FTP access privileges — so that you can see exactly what I did, as you suggested.

Sherlock Friend

Dear cgc0202 !

Sorry for missing ! you can create new position for module following way below :
    Open templateDetails.xml file in templates/ja_teline_ii folder, add following line :

<position>[new position name]</position>

under :

<position>debug</position>

after add it , you will see it in position list !

cgc0202 Friend

Hi Hainn,

The new position “ja-hottopic” finally appeared in the “positions list” and I was able to place the Hot Topic 2 module there. However, now the “Hot Topic 2: module” disappeared from the page. When I looked at the layout of the page for the various positions:

http://alt.likas.org/jte15x099/index.php?tp=1

there is no “ja-hottopic” position that appeared — this explains the missing “Hot Topic 2: module”.

What seems to be happening is similar to placing the Newsflash module in the position “Top”, please view related thread here:

Bug??? How come the Newflash is not showing in Teline II???

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/bug-how-come-the-newflash-is-not-showing-in-teline-ii/

Note that if I place the “Newsflash module” elsewhere, as shown here in position User 5:

http://alt.likas.org/jte15x099/

the Newsflash appears. Note also that I was able to place other Hot Topic modules in other working positions:

• ja-news (two Hot Topic modules shown)
    • user5
    • user7
    • footer

So, it appears that some other scripts are still needed to make it work.

Cornelio

Sherlock Friend

Hi cgc0202 !
    Have you load “ja-hottopic” module in index.php file in templates/ja_teline_ii folder ?
    Please open index.php file in templates/ja_teline_ii folder and check it again :
    to load it you need have following code line :

<jdoc:include type=”modules” name=”ja-hottopic” style=”xhtml” />

cgc0202 Friend

It worked finally, Hainn — as you can see in this Sandbox. Thanks for your patience with the tutorial. I am now able to use the same technique to create new positions.

I have related questions though, in regard the Hot Topic module. I included several copies of the Hot Topic modules and placed them in different positions, as shown in the

Sandbox.

And here are some observations:

Issue #1, The horizontal module are aligned left.
    If you examine the Hot Topic module placed in the Footer position, the RSS module and the contents of the “Footer” are bunched to the right of the Hot Topic module there.

How can this be prevented?

Issue #2, The Hot Topic module title does not show in some locations.
    Note that the Hot Topic modules placed at the top or to the right — either in Positions 5, 7 or in the new position 10, the Hot Topic module title shows.

However, even if I checked the Yes button, for the choice “Show Hot Topic module title”, the module title still did not show for the Hot Topic modules placed in the JA News and Footer positions.

Issue #3, The Hot Topic modules placed in Positions #5 and #7 behave differently.

Note the blue color and white background of the article title, while text has white color and darkened, for Hot Topic modules placed in Positions #5 and #7.

Everywhere else, as shown in the Hot Topic modules, the color and background are as specified in the CSS. I wonder if this is a bug in the latest version of Teline II v1,6. I did not observe this problem in earlier vesrions of Teline II up to v1,5.

Cornelio

rjwatsoniii Friend

<em>@cgc0202 87805 wrote:</em><blockquote>It worked finally, Hainn — as you can see in this Sandbox. Thanks for your patience with the tutorial. I am now able to use the same technique to create new positions.

I have related questions though, in regard the Hot Topic module. I included several copies of the Hot Topic modules and placed them in different positions, as shown in the

Sandbox.

And here are some observations:

Issue #1, The horizontal module are aligned left.
    If you examine the Hot Topic module placed in the Footer position, the RSS module and the contents of the “Footer” are bunched to the right of the Hot Topic module there.

How can this be prevented?

Issue #2, The Hot Topic module title does not show in some locations.
    Note that the Hot Topic modules placed at the top or to the right — either in Positions 5, 7 or in the new position 10, the Hot Topic module title shows.

However, even if I checked the Yes button, for the choice “Show Hot Topic module title”, the module title still did not show for the Hot Topic modules placed in the JA News and Footer positions.

Issue #3, The Hot Topic modules placed in Positions #5 and #7 behave differently.

Note the blue color and white background of the article title, while text has white color and darkened, for Hot Topic modules placed in Positions #5 and #7.

Everywhere else, as shown in the Hot Topic modules, the color and background are as specified in the CSS. I wonder if this is a bug in the latest version of Teline II v1,6. I did not observe this problem in earlier vesrions of Teline II up to v1,5.

Cornelio</blockquote>
    Thank you Cornelio for getting to the bottom of this. This seems to be one of the most important topics that doesn’t seem to be covered.

You worked hard to get to the bottom of this issue and I appreciated it. I spent hours trying to figure this out.

Rich

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@rjwatsoniii 122591 wrote:</em><blockquote>Thank you Cornelio for getting to the bottom of this. This seems to be one of the most important topics that doesn’t seem to be covered.

You worked hard to get to the bottom of this issue and I appreciated it. I spent hours trying to figure this out.

Rich</blockquote>

Rich,

You should thank Hainn. I advocated by it was Hainn who provided the solution. Also there is still one issue that needed to be resolved. How to have multiple Hot Topic modules where the width in each would be different. This latter issue is critical to be able to place Hot Topic modules in different positions of a page and fit snuggly.

The Hot Topic module is very effective, when used properly, to entice visitors to visit not only recent but as important archived articles that may not be in the Latest and Popular modules. I discussed such applications in other threads.

Cornelio

jose vega Friend

problem hot topic

——————————————————————————–

seing wrong this module mod_jacatslwi

——————————————————————————–

in internet explorer i am to see wrong this module mod_jacatslwi.

the layout text are out page in ie.

in firefox it is ok.

Need help please.

can you to see the problem here.

http://www.plagasexpress.es/

thanks.

cgc0202 Friend

Hi floresalud,

I can’t believe this has been reported several times, and Joomlart has not corrected this yet.

Via FTP go to your site and find:

modules => mod_jacatslwi => ja_catslwi => ja.catslwi.css

find the CSS tag .ja-catslwi:

.ja-catslwi
    {
    position: relative;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    }

change to:

.ja-catslwi
    {
    margin: 0px 0px 14px 0px;
    }

Note: This is for vertical hottopic. The proposed solution for horizontal hot topic should work as discussed above?

Cornelio

jose vega Friend

Hello,
    I have carried out the suggested changes but it follows the problem in ie 6.
    the position of the text leaves outside of it paginates it in internet explorer 6.

But in ie 7 and mozilla are well.
    Separated that you is a space among the images.

On the other hand, I have one small problems for my very big ones as they is:

– As changing to Spanish the date in the header of the page.

Thank you.

cgc0202 Friend

Hi floresalud,

Since others may not use the same browser you are talking about, they may not be able to see what you observe. You need to show a capture image of the problem.

However, in the previous code

.ja-catslwi
    {
    }

try adding a height like this:

.ja-catslwi
    {
    height: 200px
    }

You may adjudt the height depending on the size of your image.

I do not understand the second part of your request. Again, you have to show an image.

Cornelio

<em>@floresalud 124362 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hello,
    I have carried out the suggested changes but it follows the problem in ie 6.
    the position of the text leaves outside of it paginates it in internet explorer 6.

But in ie 7 and mozilla are well.
    Separated that you is a space among the images.

On the other hand, I have one small problems for my very big ones as they is:

– As changing to Spanish the date in the header of the page.

Thank you.</blockquote>

gazoline Friend

<em>@hainn84 86989 wrote:</em><blockquote>Hi cgc0202 !
    you can add new position for it following below :
    Open index.php file in templates/ja_teline_ii folder , find following code section at about line 148 :

<div id="ja-subnavwrap">
    </div>
    </div>
    <?php } ?>

change to :

<div id="ja-subnavwrap">
    </div>
    </div>
    <?php } ?>
    <div id="ja-hottopicwrap">
    <div id="ja-hottopic">
    <!-- load module for hot topic -->
    </div>
    </div>

continue , open template.css file in templates/ja_teline_ii/css folder add following code section to it :

#ja-hottopicwrap {
    clear:both;
    margin:0 auto;
    width:970px;
    }

</blockquote>

beautifull answer! It is good not just related to this template, but in anycase…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  gazoline 14 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum