Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

I’ve just upgraded to Joomla 1.5.5 (from 1.5.4) and now all the front page links from categories or sections created by Ja News 3.1 (Ja Teline 2 1.4) give me a “404” error. Anyone know of a fix? Everything worked fine in 1.5.4.

Thanks in advance.

John

PS – excellent template!

bowman999 Friend

Think it might have something to do with Category/Sections SEF URL changes made in the Joomla 1.5.5 upgrade.

Apparently Joomla 1.5.5 fixes some major SEF URL bugs. Below are the differences between the two URLS. Second one works, the first one produces a “404” error….

These are on a test site so you won’t be able to get to them.

The non working version appears to be missing the “Category” in the URL, in this case “science-fiction-tv”.

NOT WORKING
    http://www.gadgetinsanity.com/tv/211-new-doctor-who-in-season-6-james-nesbitt-to-replace-david-tennant.html

WORKING
    http://www.gadgetinsanity.com/tv/science-fiction-tv/211-new-doctor-who-in-season-6-james-nesbitt-to-replace-david-tennant.html

John
    http://www.sffmedia.com

bowman999 Friend

I’ll leave the test site live for awhile if anyone wants to take a look…

Cheers

John
    http://www.gadgetinsanity.com

Sherlock Friend

Hi bowman999 !
    I think that your problem caused by old htaccess file , do you still use old htaccess ( file in joomla 1.5.4 ) ?
    Please try to replace old htaccess by new htaccess file ( included in joomla 1.5.5 package) .

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@bowman999 70220 wrote:</em><blockquote>Think it might have something to do with Category/Sections SEF URL changes made in the Joomla 1.5.5 upgrade.

Apparently Joomla 1.5.5 fixes some major SEF URL bugs. Below are the differences between the two URLS. Second one works, the first one produces a “404” error….

These are on a test site so you won’t be able to get to them.

The non working version appears to be missing the “Category” in the URL, in this case “science-fiction-tv”.

NOT WORKING
    http://www.gadgetinsanity.com/tv/211-new-doctor-who-in-season-6-james-nesbitt-to-replace-david-tennant.html

WORKING
    http://www.gadgetinsanity.com/tv/science-fiction-tv/211-new-doctor-who-in-season-6-james-nesbitt-to-replace-david-tennant.html

John
    http://www.sffmedia.com</blockquote>

Hi John,

What is the difference between the working and not working site you provided above?

There is nothing wrong with it if you make the proper modifications. As Hainn stated, you may want to use the latest htaccess (from the full Joomla 1.5.5 package).

I still get the error though, but for a reason I reported a long time ago. When you have the SEF on, and your Joomla site is not in root directory — the error occurs.

When you go to the configuration.php (via FTP), you will find that the live site is empty:

var $live_site = '';

you have to fill that up, in your case, for the non-working site above:

var $live_site = 'http://www.gadgetinsanity.com/tv';

Check if it works.

It did for me: However, I started with the latest QuickStart kit — Joomla1.5.3-Teline II v1.4 — that included many (not all) of the fixes that were discussed in the Forum. Then, I upgraded that to Joomla 1.5.4 (using the latest .htaccess), and then when I saw that it was upgraded again to Joomla 1.5.5, I upgraded the same site to Joomla 1.5.5 (using the Joomla 1.5.4 to Joomla 1.5.5 patch).

Here ‘s a Demo site:

Cornelio

Edit: After more analysis, please see my observations presented in Post #15 here. It is not as perfect as I thought. — CGC

perdu Friend

It doesn’t work for me either with 1.5.5 the categories are all missing from the urls resulting in 404’s. Site is in root directory. htaccess from 1.5.5

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@perdu 70385 wrote:</em><blockquote>It doesn’t work for me either with 1.5.5 the categories are all missing from the urls resulting in 404’s. Site is in root directory. htaccess from 1.5.5</blockquote>

Hi perdu,

Site URL please. And, can you check your configuration.php? If the live site is not filled, can you try if it will remove the 404 error by filling it?

What version of Teline II are you using?

Cornelio

Edit: After more analysis, please see my observations presented in Post #15 here. It is not as perfect as I thought. — CGC

perdu Friend

Just checked and live site was empty so I’ve filled it in but still have the problem so I’ve pm’d you the url.

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@perdu 70395 wrote:</em><blockquote>Just checked and live site was empty so I’ve filled it in but still have the problem so I’ve pm’d you the url.</blockquote>

Yeah, I saw it perdu.

Did you start with Teline II? Your site format does not look like Teline II. User 8 and 9 are somewhere else.
    . Then you have a left position. The other possibility is that you revised your site quite extensively.

It looks like the JA News might be the problem — that is where you get the 404 error. There seem to be no error, if you access the articles via “London for Free”, for example.

Another customer here stated that he had problems with the JA Teline v1.3.

Can you try the Joomla 1.5.3-Teline II v1.4 QuickStart? That was what I started with, then I upgraded to Joomla 1.5.4 and then Joomla 1.5.5. I have not tried direct upgrade to Joomla 1.5.5, yet.

Otherwise, share the Admin information with Hainn or Menalto. They may know what is causing the problem.

I do not know how to fix things that requires beyond following the instructions.:)

Cornelio

N.B.
    My original installation was a Joomla 1.5.3 -Teline II v1.4 QuickStart Kit (on 20080723) that was then upgraded to Joomla 1.5.4 (on 20080723). With the recent release of Joomla 1.5.5, it was further upgraded to the aforementioned Joomla version (on 20080723).

bowman999 Friend

Still no luck with my site. I’ve tried both suggestions, adding the live site information and using the htaccess from 1.5.5 full, but the links associated with Ja News are still dead (you can check my site using the URL below).

Looks like there are some serious bugs using 1.5.5 and this template. Anyone out there have any other suggestions? I really don’t want to have to start from scratch and it might still be a problem if I do!

Any suggestions/ideas appreciated.:confused:

Thanks

John
    http://www.gadgetinsanity.com (test server http://www.sffmedia.com)

perdu Friend

Bizarrely I’ve managed to fix mine, my blog category aliases were named the same as their corresponding menu aliases – changing the category aliases to their corresponding category id numbers e.g. “1” “2” etc fixed it for me :confused:

Also filling in $live_site seems to have made my site run faster .

Sherlock Friend

Hi bowman999 !
    I’m checking your site , but couldn’t find the problem, all link on JA News run well , don’t appear 404 error.
    Have you fixed the problem ?

bowman999 Friend

Hi Hainn84,

Yep, all fixed! I changed the “title alias” in the section, category and menus areas to random numbers as suggested by Perdu and they are all working fine now! Thanks you for your help (and Perdu too!).

Although I have no idea why changing the”title alias” would make a difference? (are there any draw backs to this???)

John

🙂

Sherlock Friend

OK thanks perdu!

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@perdu 70400 wrote:</em><blockquote>Bizarrely I’ve managed to fix mine, my blog category aliases were named the same as their corresponding menu aliases – changing the category aliases to their corresponding category id numbers e.g. “1” “2” etc fixed it for me :confused:

Also filling in $live_site seems to have made my site run faster .</blockquote>

Hi perdu,

Now, I am the one having problems.:)

I think, I understand the “changing the category aliases to their corresponding category id numbers e.g. “1” “2” etc fixed it for me”. But, let me check if we are in the same wavelength. Do you mean doing this:

administrator => menu => magazine

(for each section) => select and click "Category name" => (brings to Category Blog Edit) for Category

For example, under World => Click Europe => (brings to Category Blog Edit) for Erupe

And here is what I see in the original Demo:

Menu Item: [ Edit ]
    Menu Item Type
    Change Type
    Category Blog Layout
    This layout displays an Article Category in Blog format.
    Menu Item Details
    ID: 198
    Title: Europe
    Alias: europe
    Link: index.php?option=com_content&view-category&layout=blog&id=81

Am I correct to assume that when you change the alias to

Alias: 81

like this:

Menu Item: [ Edit ]
    Menu Item Type
    Change Type
    Category Blog Layout
    This layout displays an Article Category in Blog format.
    Menu Item Details
    ID: 198
    Title: Europe
    Alias: 81
    Link: index.php?option=com_content&view-category&layout=blog&id=81

then everything worked? I cannot refute what I can see in your site 🙂 because it is now working. But, when I do the same, it does not do it for me (see note below).

The key is the .htaccess and it was very emphatic about Server configurations. I wonder if there are server configuration differences between yours and mine. I use Linux.

Cornelio

N.B.

It turned out, in the Demo page I was showing: When the SEF is ON, everyhing works, when the articles are clicked in the Front End via any mode — click article link through JA News Front Page module, Magazine menu Section, Section Intro Page, Category Intro Page, Latest, Popular, even Hot Topic — except it will not work when clicking the article link directly through the JA News (Front End) module.

I will post my observation in a separate thread because this is already marked solved.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  bossep 15 years, 9 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum