Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

I’m having a challenge with the quality of images that the slider is displaying. There are several locations where I can change Height and Width that have some effect on this module in USER5. Even with the default quick install if you look at the images they are at a resolution that distorts the picture. When you go to gallery they look fine because they are at a good resolution. I’m trying to figure out what is the best WIDTH and HEIGHT to set, and WHERE to set it. I have some of the information below.

I WANT IMAGES ON THE FRONT PAGE SLIDER TO NOT LOOK DISTORTEDThat’s my goal.

In the ADMIN screen if you go to MODULES > JA RSGallery2 Slider you will see Module Parameters and Height and Width of image fields. I’m not sure but I think a Width of 545 and a Height of 300 is not proportional to standard image sizes and when they get shrunk to this size they become distorted somewhat. How does this section really work? Are the images manipulated after they are uploaded to the default 545×300 specifications? If I change the default 545×300 height width will this further distort an image that is already saved? Probably not, I think all it does is show the image at a resolution that is 545×300, hence distorting it because it was not resized proportionally. Whew! Long blog here but trying to get my point across.

Then there is the option to RESIZE THE FRONT PAGE SLIDER. So If you wanted the front page slideshow to be wider than wider than 545, and be for example 800, you would change the code in mod_ja_rsslide.php found in modules/mod_ja_rsslide.php in joomla 1.0, and modules/mod_ja_rsslide/mod_ja_rsslide.php in joomla 1.5 on the following lines:

echo '<div style="position:relative; width:100%; overflow:hidden;" class="ja-rsslide_img_full">';

Change to:

echo '<div style="position:relative; width:800px; overflow:hidden;" class="ja-rsslide_img_full">';

Theres also the option to change the vertical size of user5.

Open the mod_ja_rsslide.css file in the this path “modules/mod_ja_rsslide/mod_ja_rsslide.css” and search for the following code section:

div.ja-rsslide_img_full {
    height: 350px; <-- /* you can increase and decrease it */
    text-align: center;
    }

All three of these options will need to be in agreement to show correctly, and show the images in the best resolution where the image does not look distorted. I am trying to understand this option better. I would like to hear from anyone that may have worked with this same situation and found a “SWEET SPOT” amongst the three locations about to show the images in the slider at their best resolution.

I will continue to test myself as time permits, and will take the time to come back and post my results.

itgl72 Friend

OK, in the slider admin screen where it says Images Folder URL it points to images/rsgallery/.

When I look on my server for images/rsgallery/ I see no images. I do see Original/Thumb/Display. So to test I added one of the folders in rsgallery to the Images Folder URL and tried images/rsgallery/thumb. However when I refresh front page I get This folder doesn’t exsits.

SO, where is the mod_ja_rsslide gettings its images?

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? Well its not totally working correctly and I need to control what images are displayed. There are times when you click on an image and it takes you to another image. Can’t have that, its broken, but I can temporaily fix it if I make a gallery thats just featured pictures and update just that to be seen on front page. But then I need to know what pictures are being used, or where this mod is pulling pics from.

ALSO – if a GALLERY is UNPUBLISHED I think it would be nice if the images from the unpublished gallery didnt rotate on front page.

itgl72 Friend

OK, it seems that using the GALLERY ID option will atleast help me here somewhat. There is no frakin documentation that I have seen for this, but maybe I am supposed to go to RSGALLERY’s website to read up on this all, who knows but I’n ’bout ready to take a blaster to it all. 😉

Anyway using GALLERY ID in mod_ja_rsslide admin screen lets me reload just whats in that gallery on the front page slider.

SHEESH — like pulling teeth for info it seems….

I believe the reason I am getting distorted images is because the module on the front page is showing images at 545 wide but its pulling it from somewhere where the images are only 500 pixels wide. ITS ENLARGING THEM – again, where is my blaster!? *Zap!* *Zap!* take that!

Now I have to figure out if I want to enlarge the file uploaded or shrink the front page slider. Ack!

itgl72 Friend

For the sake that is all good and pure man….

Edited RSGALLERY to make uploaded pics a width of 545.

This now makes front page slider show pics that are not DISTORTED looking. because the slider is 545 and the pic is 545 (WHERE its pulling this pic from I dont know)

BUT NOW….
    You click on the slider picture, and it brings you to the gallery, but it doesnt show you the image you clicked on.

SO? HOW DO I FIX THIS?

seandiggins Friend

I agree, more information is needed asap

I’m too scared to commence the big task of building a gallery!

btw, have you worked through the info posted in this thread? :

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11185

Sean

itgl72 Friend

<em>@seandiggins 47865 wrote:</em><blockquote>I agree, more information is needed asap

I’m too scared to commence the big task of building a gallery!

btw, have you worked through the info posted in this thread? :

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11185

Sean</blockquote>

Oh yeah, but there is no real solution there.

The SLIDER seems to work OK until you start DELETING images then for some reason it loses track of what’s happening and doesn’t link up the slider on the front page with the pictures in the gallery.

Now I’m stuck, my template is just about ready to be released and this SLIDER issue is going to render the website crippled.

I would love a rapid solution because I need to move on to other projects.

xxxxmints Friend

I asked about the size of images ages ago and still haven’t got an answer.
    I have images EITHER 400 pixels wide OR 400 pixels long.
    The one’s that are portrait are distorted.
    How do I fix this????

I’ve just visited here:

http://rsgallery2.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,17/topic,6739.0

I can’t work out how to do it in this template though ???

Hung Dinh Friend

I will get one of the developer to look at this issue for you tomorrow. Sorry for the delay

itgl72 Friend

THANK YOU – I have temporarily DISABLED linking of images on the slider in order to not have people clicking on it and taking them to WRONG IMAGE. There is also some useful user feedback by lmlloyd here in THIS THREAD.

itgl72 Friend

<em>@Hung Dinh 48227 wrote:</em><blockquote>I will get one of the developer to look at this issue for you tomorrow. Sorry for the delay</blockquote>

Hung, have developers looked into this yet?

lovelife Friend

hey itg172, thanks for effort into this post … I thought I was the only one wth this issue ….. Ive also been trying to find the best image size ratio and display….

Current status ….. moded the slider display width and height to allow me to present a 600 x 400 image for a slider only gallery… I prepare the image to that exact size using photoshop crop and save for web before loading to the gallery. The portrait images are saved to 266 wide to give me 399 high and therefore within the frame.

My problem is as you have described … all portrait images are resized (stretched) wide making them totally useless. Any progress on a solution?

regards don

babyzsmile Friend

I’ve made the suggested changes in .css and .php file as you have suggested 545px and 300px respectively. I also changed the module size height to 545 and 300. Then my site is all messed up. http://www.dlophotography.com

Sherlock Friend

Hi
    Plz say more detail what you want, so I can help

lovelife Friend

nguoiabcd,

please disable the code that attempts to resize portrait images based on a width setting in the CP. The forum post in RSGALLAERY2 … http://rsgallery2.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,17/topic,6739.0 from the developers of RSGALLERY2 say that they have a lot of problems with the code and the best thing to do is take out this functionality. It looks like the AvianII has changed the display.class.php function a bit so the standard fix for RSGallery2 won’t work.

nguoiabcd, Please have a look it shouldn’t be too hard for a smart man like you to solve …… we just need the front page slide show to display the image in its exact px size that we upload.

many thanks

lovelife Friend

hey babyzsmile,
    what Joomla version do you have? I looked at your site and see a couple problems.

Your landscape and portrait images are being resized to fit the width of the frame (user5) specified in template_css.css …. I have changed my user5 width using the instructions in this post … http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/rsgallery-problems-and-support/ (post 50 from nguoiabcd) so that I get a frame of 600px wide. Hint, you can adjust the percentages to get what you want … make sure they add up to 98%. You can change the height of the frame using instructions from this post … http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/user5-area-in-avian-ii/. Hint, you can specify more than your desired pixel height to stop the slider from superimposing over your image.

Then I use photoshop to prepare images specifically for the slideshow. Do this by cropping with a crop ratio of 3:2 to give you a neat 600px by 400px image. Or for portrait crop 2:3 to give 266px wide by 399px high.

So… I am suggesting you control the exact frame size and prepare images for that frame.

As soon as nguoiabcd stops the auto resizing it will always display exactly what you upload.

regards don

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  lovelife 15 years, 11 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum