Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I cannot get articles that were created by the JA Social plug in to delete, so that I can re-load new articles. I have trashed them, and then gone back in the Article Manager, pulled up all the trashed items by selecting “trashed” in the status selection and then reselected all the trashed and clicked “empty trash”, but they will not empty. I get a message stating that all 800+ articles have been emtied from the trash, yet they are still there.

Because of all this, running the chron does load any updates.

I need this site to work for a job interview in 17 hours!! :((

Thanks for your help.

Chris

arucardx Friend

I think you will be pleased with what I have found for you =D Spend an hour searching for K2 related issue then I realize that you’re using Joomla publishing @@

Anyway, solution can be found here.
    http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=2576422

If you still need help getting that fix to work, you can send me a pm with your site’s login and I’ll help you with it.

digartco Friend

THANK YOU! The link you sent had a suggestion I modified a little that seems to be working: I archived the trashed articles, created a category for temporary use, moved the archived articles to this new temporary category and then moved them to the trash and emptied the trash from there. This worked for the majority, but there are still a few that wont give it up! In either case, the process of archiving and then moving to a dummy category did what was needed to let JA Social load new articles. If I want to stop all of the JA Social feeds from being pulled in, is it enough to disable JA Social plug in, or is there some other thing going on that pulls in articles? I have no other RSS feeds active at this time.

Thanks again for the help!! That’s a huge load off my back.:)

arucardx Friend

Disabling the social feed plugin would stop pulling in new feeds that creates new articles. Unless you have other plugins that serve the same purpose.

ibewguy Friend

I have tried all these solutions – sometimes batch processing the categories works and sometimes it does not!!

Joomla is becoming a huge frustration for me!! I am open to other solutions if you have them. I suppose this is why my JA Social Feed plugin was not working??

Whew – I did not have this much trouble as a newbie!!

ibewguy Friend

I was finally successful in deleting my articles, however, I had to batch process between each delete once everything was in the trash folder. I could delete anywhere from 15 to 100 articles at a time once I batched processed (permissions and language both) the articles.

The social feed is really a nice feature, but without an efficient way to delete the articles I can see this being very cumbersome!!

IBEWguy

Phill Moderator

Sadly that is a problem of Joomla coupled with individual hosting setups (timeouts occur during the batch causing the failure in deletion) so not something JA can really address. Once you have the system setup it really does work well. I have had a wall site running with JA Social Feed since 2 weeks after its release and it has run flawlessly ever since. Considering I have 60 RSS feeds coming from Feedgator and over 100 different sources set in JA Social Feed this is quite impressive.

ibewguy Friend

That is promising news! Thanks for posting!

ibewguy Friend

Thanks Phill,

Based on your response I have a question: How do you delete old articles ? Or, do you have your plugin set to replace the articles?

The results of this setting in the plugin are not obvious. If I select the setting to update the article does that mean it will replace the existing article each time the cron runs?

As for my individual hosting setup – I have moved to GoDaddy. Now, I know they are not considered the best for hosting Joomla sites, but they are, “One stop shopping,” and their customer support is outstanding. They answer the phone in less than 3 minutes and are great to deal with.

I can upgrade my hosting package I suppose, but timeout on the server may be fixed. In the past I have used Rochen, but they do not offer SSL’s or domain’s etc. So there is no way to keep my domain registration private with Rochen since I have to change the nameservers to redirect the domain.

IBEWguy

Phill Moderator

I keep all the articles. I must admit that the db is growing quite large but so far no issues whatsoever. The update articles thing doesn’t clear out articles so please do not consider that an option. If I wanted to keep the number of articles down I would probably setup a cron to do so, Maybe there is a joomla plugin or tool to do so but I cannot say I have looked. I will ask some of the other guys to see what they do.

As for domains, I always keep all mine in one place (123reg.co.uk) and use their dns settings to direct them to whatever hosting I am using. I prefer this way as it makes moving hosting a lot easier.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Phill 11 years, 2 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum