Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

I’m having problems with JA Bulletin – thumbnails are cropping;

All main images on my site are sized the same: Original size 460w x 261h

Proportionately scaled for JA Bulletin are set to: 100w X 56h

View properties shows the image size as 100w X 56h – BUT they are cropping from the bottom, FF display ruler shows the images are displaying at 100w X 29h

See it at Tabs1: Appointments:
    http://packwebasia.com/joomla15/

Anonymous Moderator

Hi SHoggard

For this case, i think you should change from crop image to resize image mode.

SHoggard Friend

How would do I do that?

JA Bulletin has no ‘crop image’ function that I can see: it simply asks for Image width & height – I enter 100w X 56h BUT it displays the image at 100w X 29h

SHoggard Friend

bump? (sorry)

SHoggard Friend

JA Developer:

I don’t know what you mean in your answer:
    <blockquote>For this case, i think you should change from crop image to resize image mode</blockquote>

JA Bulletin has no ‘crop image’ function that I can see: it simply asks for Image width & height – I enter 100w X 56h BUT it displays the image at 100w X 29h

SHoggard Friend

can I have a solution to this????

THIS THREAD IS NOT SOLVED!

Anonymous Moderator

Hi SHoggard

Thank you for your PM

I have checked your website and saw that it is working fine again.

Please feel free to contact us if you are in need of further assistance

SHoggard Friend

This thread is NOT SOLVED

JA Developer,
    I don’t know which site you looked at, but it certainly was not mine,since JA Bulletin1.0.1 was disabled.

I have enabled it so you can see that the problem is not solved.

The example is in the col-mas1 position named mod_bulletin: http://packwebasia.com/next/

Original image is
    width: 279px
    height: 396px

In mod_bulletin module paramaters it is set to:
    Image width: 100px
    Image height: 141px
    These are the correct proportions to scale down – I checked in photoshop.

RESULT: On the front page as you can see it has cropped:
    width: 100px
    height: 16px

In FFox “Properties” it shows: Image size 100px X 141px —– just by looking at it clearly it is NOT

1. mod_jabulletin
    SHoggard Friend

You asked to look at the backend on 10-08-2009, 09:30 AM I sent you the following PM…

<blockquote> JA Bulletin – image cropping

http://www.mysite.com/administrator/index.php

user: XXXX
    pass: YYYYY

There is also a major conflict with JAStock & iJoomla News Portal… JANews isn’t going to google but drawing in the panel from News Portal – the whole front page!)

Strangely RokStock doesn’t give this error (but other css problems)

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/showt…978#post147978</blockquote>

Backend I see NO RECORD of you having visited the site.
    You also have not replied to my PM

Please assist

SHoggard Friend

You asked to look at the backend & on 10-08-2009, 09:30 AM I sent you the following PM…

<blockquote> JA Bulletin – image cropping

http://www.mysite.com/administrator/index.php

user: XXXX
    pass: YYYYY

There is also a major conflict with JAStock & iJoomla News Portal… JANews isn’t going to google but drawing in the panel from News Portal – the whole front page!)

Strangely RokStock doesn’t give this error (but other css problems)

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/showt…978#post147978</blockquote>

Backend I see NO RECORD of you having visited the site.
    You also have not replied to my PM

Please assist

SHoggard Friend

I PMd JA Developer on this – gave him backend access – still no reply

This is the THIRD thread where he offers to fix if he gets backend access but doesn’t use it.

Maybe the logic is that if you take the problem to PM then it takes it off the forum board —–> Wrong!

Anonymous Moderator

<em>@SHoggard 146386 wrote:</em><blockquote>How would do I do that?

JA Bulletin has no ‘crop image’ function that I can see: it simply asks for Image width & height – I enter 100w X 56h BUT it displays the image at 100w X 29h</blockquote>

It is the structure of resizing image. We will check the target size with the source size to have the finally size.

Hope you can understand

nickwigzell Friend

<em>@SHoggard 146386 wrote:</em><blockquote>How would do I do that?

JA Bulletin has no ‘crop image’ function that I can see: it simply asks for Image width & height – I enter 100w X 56h BUT it displays the image at 100w X 29h</blockquote>

Hi SHoggard

I’m a newbie to both Joomla and Teline but I’ve spent the morning trying to work out what’s going wrong and there seem to be two reasons why your images are being cropped.

First, the resize image parameters in the JA Bulletin module only seem to work properly if the original image dimensions are even numbers and can be scaled using a common number. Photoshop can be a bit dodgy when it comes to giving proportionate measurements, so it might be best to stick to simple sums JA Bulletin can cope with. For example, try making all your images 460 x 260 and set the parameters to 115 width and 65 height (the common divider being 4). It seems to be able to handle that.

I think the second reason they get cropped is the CSS which controls the list style in JA Bulletin, with overflow set to hidden in line 110 of template.css. You’ll notice that more of the cropped image appears if the title of the article runs on to a second line. My solution – and I made this work using the settings above (460px x 260px image in the article and parameters set to 115w and 65h) – was to change the mod_jabulletin.css file (templates/ja_teline_iii/css/mod_jabulletin.css).

Find this on line 19:

ul.ja-bullettin li {
    margin: 0;
    padding: 5px 0 !important;
    border-bottom: 1px dotted #E6E6E6;
    background: url(../images/arrow.png) no-repeat 2px 9px !important;
    position: relative;
    width: 100%;
    line-height: normal;
    }

and change to this:

ul.ja-bullettin li {
    margin: 0;
    padding: 5px 0 !important;
    border-bottom: 1px dotted #E6E6E6;
    background: url(../images/arrow.png) no-repeat 2px 9px !important;
    position: relative;
    width: 100%;
    line-height: normal;
    height: 65px; /* Height set in module image parameter */
    }

I’m assuming this would only work if all your main images would resize to the height you set in the module parameters and the css,

Hope that helps.

Best

Nick

SHoggard Friend

Thanks, Nick,
    I guess that is logical… after all it is probably difficult to scale an odd number of pixels (ie 1px – as in 461px)… though on 2nd thoughts plenty other extensions manage it.
    iJoomla solves the issue by simply asking you to decide which parameter to scale Width or Height & scales the other whatever the result. Useful when you’ve got several pics of varying dimensions – you don’t have to do the calculations !

I’ll give your solution a shot later in the week & let you know

SHoggard Friend

JA Bulletin is STILL cropping images on the front page.

JA Developer has been to my admin side, advised I should update the module… I did, yesterday… and the issue remains.

nickwigzell – suggsted a solution, nice try thanks for the advice…. but no joy… still cropping

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  SHoggard 14 years, 6 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum