Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Discussion thread for “JAEC – JA Extensions Club is back!” announcement

dragonlord Friend

@ Hung

What’s the difference between the Extensions from the JAEC and the Extensions which are included in the Template Packages in the download area? For example in the JA Lolite Package is the Extension JA Tabs v1.0, is the JA Tabs Extension in the JAEC Club a newer one?

Regards

Hung Dinh Friend

dragonlord;81560@ Hung

What’s the difference between the Extensions from the JAEC and the Extensions which are included in the Template Packages in the download area? For example in the JA Lolite Package is the Extension JA Tabs v1.0, is the JA Tabs Extension in the JAEC Club a newer one?

Regards

Extensions from JAEC are separated from extensions included in download package of JATC Club and most of them are independent, stand alone extensions.

However, during template development, JA may use some layout related extensions from JAEC to build and included in the templates. And such extensions when included in the template, they will be the copied from JA Extensions. Whenever such extension is updated, the copy you have in the template will be updated as well. And this whole process is automated.

In the coming time, after we have revised and tested all extensions which have built with templates so far, they will be released to JAEC members as well. This way JAEC members can benefit from JATC and vice versa

cgc0202 Friend

<em>@Hung Dinh 81603 wrote:</em><blockquote>Extensions from JAEC are separated from extensions included in download package of JATC Club and most of them are independent, stand alone extensions.

However, during template development, JA may use some layout related extensions from JAEC to build and included in the templates. And such extensions when included in the template, they will be the copied from JA Extensions. Whenever such extension is updated, the copy you have in the template will be updated as well. And this whole process is automated.

In the coming time, after we have revised and tested all extensions which have built with templates so far, they will be released to JAEC members as well. This way JAEC members can benefit from JATC and vice versa</blockquote>

Hi Hung,

This policy of “limited free” access does not affect me right now, as I have a Developer account. However, if you have been reading the thread postings in relation to the previous implementation of the “New Extensions”:

Discussion thread for “important changes in the JA Templates Club”

http://www.joomlart.com/forums/topic/discussion-thread-for-important-changes-in-the-ja-templates-club/

that were meant eventually to be free for Developers only once these independent extensions are fully debugged has caused resentment among regular member (i.e., non-developer members) — because not everyone have read the fine print — when they can no longer access these new extensions.

I tried to explain the nuance of this policy to those who have been disgruntled but it is really a tough sell. As a result, some regular members who were not given full access to this separate extensions have threatened not to renew their subscription. Whether they will do it or not is another story. Nonetheless, this bad blood is sullying the reputation of Joomlart.

If these new templates will be avaiaible only to Developers in the future, I would suggest that Joomlart must present the development (beta testing or whatever stage of testing) of these extensions only to these target group.

Personally, since many members (like myself) do no have the skills anyway to help in the development of the new extensions, it is counterproductive to expect them to contribute effectively in improving the new templates.

In fact, that is true also for any template for that matter. Instead of releasing “beta versions” of a template, they must be released only when most of the bugs have been resolved.

The release of “beta version of extensions or template” to the general membership just add to unwanted forum postings asking for help to resolve problems that were encountered by “technically challenged” members, like myself, with very limited or no background with basic skills in regard “html, php, CSS, etc.”

If this policy of releasing “beta or non stable” versions of extensions to the general masses is not practiced, more than likely 50% or higher of the Forum threads would not even be posted.

These request for help in the forum would have been further reduced if each release of template or extensions comes with with well-written or updated manual. I read the manual for the JA Tab, for example, and it just does not work for me, because it is apparent that certain information or steps were not explained clearly, or some were outdated.

Cornelio

mj1256 Friend

<blockquote>The release of “beta version of extensions or template” to the general membership just add to unwanted forum postings asking for help to resolve problems that were encountered by “technically challenged” members, like myself, with very limited or no background with basic skills in regard “html, php, CSS, etc.”</blockquote>

this is true, beta should just be released to a selected beta testers group for the above reasons. I think the beta testing model that is used by azrul (myblog, jom comment) is the way to go.

As for the new extensions plan, i am finding that all of the changes are confusing to the members of the community. I do not support their arguement that you should not change plans or your revenue models. But, everything needs to be clearly laid out and defined as to what is included in the individual membership level packages. Its posted here in the forums, (well…kind of), but it needs to be in a separate well laid out area of the site for review so people know what they are getting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mj1256 15 years, 7 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum