Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

When you are looking for hosting for joomla

do yo need a C panel like WP

in other words what u need from a hosting company

andys43us Friend

Hi,

I don’t know about other web hosting services, but I use bluehost and I think it is wonderful. The customer service is always available and is very good. One of the best customer service experience I ever had.

They have simplescript option in the control panel which lets you install joomla within a minute.

Compared to other services, like host gator, it is much cheaper and provides equal (if not better) services.

Overall, I think it is one of the best hosting services today.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
    Andy

nigelm828 Friend

Been with Hostgator for sometime now and their uptime and service has been great. They also have one click installation for Joomla using Fantastico.

prakash Friend

Hi,

Basically while selecting hosting – a couple of things need to be checked.

The kind of storage you need. The kind of bandwidth the site would need.

Then how many users do you expect to come on the site.

Then whether some outage in service is ok for the site.

Once you are done with that, there are various types of hosting like shared hosting or a virtual or dedicated server.

Shared hosting usually priced anywhere between 5-20USD a month are available. This I believe is sufficient for many users.

What is your target market – say if your target market is your local market then its best to check out if some local hosting company provides hosting. It does not make sense if all or most of your logins are from say Europe and you have your site hosted in US or vis-a-vis.

A Virtual or Dedicated hosting is only advicable if the scale of site is large and you expect some kind of software execution where in you need root access to the server (not possible / offered in shared hosting from what I know)

While buying hosting do not go for traps like unlimited disk space or unlimited bandwidth – if they really start giving that the companies cant survive. The offers are great, but with a cost to performance. You cant expect say a $5000 car to give the same performance as say a $30000 car… there ought to be some compromises!

First check the guaranteed uptime
    Then the disk space you need and bandwidth transfers expected.
    Then what kind of support they offer – like via phone, email or online chat.
    Expected support times (if they can provide)
    They dont tie you to a long term contract. Its best where you can choose monthly plans etc.
    ….

acluett Friend

I have used Go Daddy for quite a while and have been very satisfied and they meet your pricing criteria. However, I NEVER use their Joomla install … I ALWAYS upload and install the latest version (or the one I require) that I obtain from Joomla.org. No issues, ever, none … on more than 20 Joomla sites with loads of extensions and templates.

raysguitarshop Friend

Used Hostgator for a long time. Good price. Great service. However, once you start getting some serious traffic, expect downtime. The whole “host unlimited websites” and “unlimited bandwidth” comes with some caveats: process and inode limitations. If your site gets Dugg or experiences other surges, you might be in trouble (at least temporarily).

I personally switched to a Servint VPS and have been extremely happy. They work great with Joomla, WordPress, and just about anything I’ve thrown at them so far. You can get Cpanel and Fantastico for easy installation, too.

joaniewilcett Friend

Hate to add a ‘me too’ post but I have used Dreamhost for years and had quite a few installations on there running well. They had a few downtimes just recently whilst moving data centers but other than that annoyance they have been trouble free – and cheap.

raysguitarshop Friend

For shared hosting, Dreamhost is a darn good one.

Still, I think if you’ve got an eye on the future (and want the room to expand, both in storage and bandwidth), ServInt VPS comes highly recommended. I use Joomla with them, get decent traffic, and have had no downtimes to speak of.

But if you’re just getting started, I would chime in with the previous poster. Dreamhost is an excellent shared provider. Hostgator might be great to start with (and they really do provide solid service), but there are so many “exceptions” to the so-called “unlimited” plans that I just can’t recommend them.

mariamekus Friend

Hi –
    One of the very best web host I have used and recommend is LIQUIDWEB. They are a little on the high side for pricing, but I was happy with their VPS offer.

Two other great providers, after doing hours upon hours of research, are:
    KNOWNHOST
    SERVINT

These were the 3 best I found after doing a lot of research, testing – calling their support, customer service and so on to gage the response – searched forums, and spoke with many web masters.

Hope that helps,
    Maria Mekus

timjames Friend

Most folks I’ve known in the design business “keep it in the family” with mediatemple. I’ve been using Hostgator though too like many others on the board, and as time has gone on I’ve discovered that they have a lot of useful applications. I guess their cpanel is designed to get you hooked! 🙂

kowinator Friend

Hi….

I have hade my problems with bluehost but that may be a problem of the package I chose. But I must agree, the service is really amazing and they always try to help you with problems.

I have another site hosted on hostgator and there it’s the other way round: less problems but the service is not as good as with bluehost.

Just my humble opinion though, others may have made other experiences.

In terms of cPanel I would say: That’s something I use all the time (AWStats, Mail access, file manager etc.) so this would definitely be a “must” for me.

P.

tammyrector Friend

I need to change my hosting company as well, not enough support for a beginner.

One quick question I have, do I need to install a database when I do a joomla install, and is it necessary if I’m only doing basic pages, I’m only allow so many databases.

Thank you Tammy

prakash Friend

Hi,

If the hosting company provides an auto-installer for Joomla then the database and joomla are both created / installed by the auto-installer script. But in-case you want to manually upload Joomla and create a database, you need to go into the hosting control panel and create a new database with username / password. Then upload joomla via FTP to your hosting server and at first run it will ask for all the details including database details. Once you configure the same it would work

WIth regards databases allowed, yes most hosting companies not only have a cap on the number of databases you are allowed to create but also the total size of the database. Say your hosting plan would say 5 databases of 100MB each or so on.

For support best would be to join a couple of forums too where in you could get support from peers because I think no hosting company would give 1, 2 ,3 step by step instructions in most cases, exceptions are always there….

iwebbs Friend

bluehost, dreamhost, hostgator, hostmonster – These are all good. I have used all this companies and I found them good. All of them have fantastico and so installing applications such as joomla is click of a mouse. Hope this info helps.

broaddog Friend

If you are familiar with Cpanel you will have no problem using Fantastico to install Joomla or Installatron(similar to Fantastico’s one click install). I would look for one of these applications to help you with your first install. It keeps it very simple and quick.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

This topic contains 27 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  nidhivyas 8 years, 4 months ago.

We moved to new unified forum. Please post all new support queries in our New Forum